Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → "Put down that cell phone and learn some manners, young man!"
"Put down that cell phone and learn some manners, young man!"
2006-06-21, 10:30 PM #1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/techcreatesabubbleforkids

I totally agree, considering how badly I'm hooked to tech :P
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-06-21, 10:43 PM #2
Yeah, but I doubt you'd be in a meeting at work and spend the time texting your mates ;)
2006-06-21, 10:49 PM #3
I like the way this trend is going. I can't wait for all the baby-boomers to die off so society won't be so uptight. ;)
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-21, 10:53 PM #4
Hurray for having parents raise you who care about raising their kids right!
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-21, 10:53 PM #5
What do they want to accomplish, take away technology and go back to the days when most kids grew up on farms? As much as they'd like to it won’t happen.

Yeah some kids are rude, but that's more the parents' fault, not technology's.
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-06-21, 10:55 PM #6
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
Hurray for having parents raise you who care about raising their kids right!

Right? that's just a matter of perspective. If you think they're raising you "right" then obviously they were able to brainwash you
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-21, 11:00 PM #7
I'm sorry I mis-used a word? I didn't mean "The only correct way". I meant it as in "Raised me so I care about what people think and have some widely accepted morals". Not to say these parents are raising their childrean wrong, but they don't seem to be (like the article said) enforcing how good making good impressions are and respect, and don't press morals on their kids.

Yes, I share some of the same values as my parents and yeah, sure, go ahead and say "Well that's bad, your parents may have bad or incorrect values and morals." But, they have gotten into my head widely accepted morals and values, and leave the rest up to me, for the most part.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-21, 11:07 PM #8
I think not caring what other people think is a good thing. I also think not caring so much about first impressions is a good thing. I mean, let's actually think about it. If you don't put a lot of stock in first impressions, what you're doing is shedding the initial assessment you make of somebody based on appearance. And you're probably shedding it in favor of actually getting to know them.
2006-06-21, 11:23 PM #9
I used to change in the parking lot, at the back of my car beforeand after lacrosse and soccer pratice when I was in high school. It was a common thing for a lot of the athletes at my school.

The best thing was when the women's soccer team changed into their uniform tops before a game, after warming up. :ninja:
Pissed Off?
2006-06-21, 11:27 PM #10
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I think not caring what other people think is a good thing. I also think not caring so much about first impressions is a good thing. I mean, let's actually think about it. If you don't put a lot of stock in first impressions, what you're doing is shedding the initial assessment you make of somebody based on appearance. And you're probably shedding it in favor of actually getting to know them.

This is rather shallow, but if someone shows up to you, hair uncombed, haven't bathed in a week and smell horrid, most people will find you repulsive. Yes, first impressions are a shallow thing when you think about them, and it makes people make assumptions, which is bad.

I'm really leaving the thread after this, because I'm sounding like a complete douche, and just realized it.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-22, 9:22 AM #11
I wish more girls would dress slutty.

Except not fat girls.

They need to be restricted to only wearing mumus.
2006-06-22, 9:34 AM #12
The only premise I can really agree with is the need of some people to be constantly "connected." For some reason seeing a 12 year old walking around with a cell phone always seemed odd to me.

Granted I've been posting on this site for almost 4 years now. I still dislike the baby boomers.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-06-22, 9:42 AM #13
[QUOTE=Bounty Hunter 4 hire]For some reason seeing a 12 year old walking around with a cell phone always seemed odd to me.[/QUOTE]

It took me this year to realize there are freaking 1st graders on the streets with freaking cellphones. Holy doofus maximus.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-06-22, 9:46 AM #14
Frickin' babies have cellphones glued to their ears nowadays

wellll, baby geniuses that is
2006-06-22, 10:09 AM #15
Is that so bad?

It's not like they're all doing heroin.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-06-22, 10:14 AM #16
You forget that cellphones give you brain tumors
2006-06-22, 10:17 AM #17
mm heroines
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-06-22, 11:34 AM #18
The bad part is that also a lot of simple moral standards, such as showing compassion, are going down the drain with the rest. I'm sorry, really, but I don't think that's right.
2006-06-22, 11:40 AM #19
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
It took me this year to realize there are freaking 1st graders on the streets with freaking cellphones. Holy doofus maximus.

I remember the first time I saw a 13-14 year old with a cell phone, seemed really weird. Now there's like 6-7 year olds that have them.
2006-06-22, 11:54 AM #20
Originally posted by money•bie:
You forget that cellphones give you brain tumors

Yeah and the sun gives you skin cancer.

Most of us will die of heart failure before we die of cancer.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-06-22, 12:38 PM #21
That's ridic-
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-22, 12:45 PM #22
Oh, my.
He died and his head fell on the minus-key and then on the mouse to click the reply button.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-06-22, 1:10 PM #23
If you think they're raising you "right" then obviously they were able to brainwash you

because only brainwashed kids think their upbringings are good

I think not caring what other people think is a good thing.

i think that displays thoughtlessness and arrogance
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2006-06-22, 1:42 PM #24
Originally posted by Impi:
Oh, my.
He died and his head fell on the minus-key and then on the mouse to click the reply button.

Wrong. I died and then ZombieGris took over all motor functionality and was polite enough to finish the post.

I have since been ressurected.

Originally posted by Acharjay:
i think that displays thoughtlessness and arrogance

I think that you, too, have been brainwashed! :v:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-22, 2:00 PM #25
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Yeah and the sun gives you skin cancer.

Most of us will die of heart failure before we die of cancer.
Do cellphones actually give you tumors? I was joking.
2006-06-22, 2:03 PM #26
lol, I'm not really sure.. They're research, but as far as I know most if it's been inconclusive.

2006-06-22, 2:25 PM #27
This article reminds me a lot of Jack Off Jill's Nutopia.
2006-06-22, 2:32 PM #28
I like the trend of not giving a **** about what other people think.

The whole conservative uptightness about everything pisses me off.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-06-22, 2:37 PM #29
I like a blend of respect and not giving a ****.
2006-06-22, 6:25 PM #30
Yeah I hate that whole idea that everyone should be Victorian "like they used to be" (except really only the rich were then).

"Young people use curse words!"
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-06-22, 6:28 PM #31
Dern kids need to get of my lawn.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-06-22, 6:36 PM #32
She studied 40,745 young people who took surveys from 1958 to 2001 with questions such as "I am always careful in my manner of dress" and "I never forget to say 'please' or 'thank you.' "

Those sound like something a 50's housewife would use as her mantra so that her husband doesn't beat her for a less than perfect dinner. This article is lame; just because I'm not concered about "social-approval" a perfect 100% of the time doesn't mean that I am not capable of acting appropriately in situations that require it. But, wait, I forgot--there's no middle ground or grey area between 50's housewives and teenagers getting naked in the street.
"Art is a lie that makes us to realize the truth."
- Pablo Picasso

blog thingamajig
2006-06-23, 2:05 AM #33
Originally posted by Achelois:
But, wait, I forgot--there's no middle ground or grey area between 50's housewives and teenagers getting naked in the street.

Really?

/me gets nekkid
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-06-23, 4:25 AM #34
I partially agree with freelancer.

that woman who was disturbed by the showing of a teenage girls midriff is most likely a fat saggy hag who was jealous that she wasnt hot **** anymore.

really though, they need to stop meddling, when i'm middle aged, i wont give a **** what the kids do... sure, i wont understand it, but as long as i can still get a laugh at them playing on train tracks and overdosing, then i'll be happy.
2006-06-23, 4:38 AM #35
Every generation has said that the generation after their generation has gotten worse.
That trend is still going to continue, but has each generation actually gotten worse?
Debatable.
2006-06-23, 10:35 AM #36
If the older generations didn't complain about the younger generation they'd have nothing to talk about, so they fabricate all this stuff about us being so bad so they can sit there and gossip.
2006-06-23, 10:40 AM #37
I beg to differ on behalf of "hell inconclusive" since I haven't experienced living in a different generation.

Although, I DO sort of know what it's like to grow up in the 50's, since I spent a whole lot of time with my grandparents when I was growing up. Lemme tell ya, barrels of fun! :D
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.

↑ Up to the top!