Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Nuclear Deterrent
Nuclear Deterrent
2006-06-22, 4:54 AM #1
This has come to the fore in the UK in the last day or so over our future PM backing the Trident project: effectively saying we're going to replace our ageing nuclear-delivering submarines to the tune of £25Bn.

This, in my opinion, is a good thing. If our nuclear capability is faltering due to dodgy old kit, it's time to replace it.

The reason I bring this up is because everywhere I look on news sites there are people saying things like "We're not at war, we don't need them, what a waste of money!"

These people realy don't get the (simple simple) concept of Nuclear Deterrent.

The reason we aren't at nuclear war with angry people who also have nukes is because we have the ability to retailate in kind. If we do not have this ability, the deterrent is not there.

I also read one along the lines of "Why don't the Europeans chip in together and form a nuclear deterrent based on shared costs?"

Simple answer - because the size of the beurocracy needed to wield such a complicated weapon would prevent it from being used effectively. In a war situation you cannot lead with a committee.

Sorry for the random rant, but the lack of thought put into some posts I've seen on the net today and yesterday angered me. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons not to have nuclear weapons, and I'm sure some of you lot will point them out elequently, but I believe that the nuclear deterrent is a simple and over-riding reason for hanging onto our weapons and upgrading them.

/rant
2006-06-22, 5:26 AM #2
yup
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-06-22, 5:37 AM #3
Yeah. It's good to have a few nuclear weapons readily available; should aliens attack or should they need to be modified quickly to obliterate an asteroid with a nasty trajectory.

Well, subs wouldn't probably be too useful against asteroids, but anyway...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-06-22, 5:45 AM #4
I don't think we (Canucks) have any. Ah well, it makes every day that much more risky and thrilling :P.

But I do agree that it's important for developed nations to have that option, and for others to know it. At least until we all evolve into a much less nasty species.
2006-06-22, 6:27 AM #5
/me buys a Davie Crockett
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-06-22, 6:51 AM #6
Plus, who would ever want to nuke Canada? What have they done to offend anyone? I think that's the best nuclear deterrent.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-22, 7:12 AM #7
totally agree with you martyn, some of the talk that's been on our news sites and in our papers is stupid, if people stood back and used some common sense they'd see that the deterrent needs to be maintained.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-06-22, 7:21 AM #8
Ironically, if all people stood back und used some common sense, the deterrent wouldn't need to be maintained.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-06-22, 7:57 AM #9
Originally posted by Impi:
Ironically, if all people stood back und used some common sense, the deterrent wouldn't need to be maintained.
well...there is that :P
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-06-22, 7:57 AM #10
The reason Canada doesn't need nukes or a military for that matter is because good old Uncle Sam is right there covering our asses.
2006-06-22, 8:15 AM #11

Hehe, at least I know you're bright enough to not have point out that we don't live in a utopia ;)
2006-06-22, 8:17 AM #12
Originally posted by Professor:
The reason Canada doesn't need nukes or a military for that matter is because good old Uncle Sam is right there covering our asses.

You'd probably have Britain, too, and maybe Germany. France would join in if Quebec was hit.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-22, 8:38 AM #13
Martyn: Don't you think that nuclear deterrant is outdated? Who is it protecting you from?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 9:07 AM #14

Not really that simple. Nuclear proliferation is like a bank run. If there's a run on the bank, sure, I realize that it's in collective interest for no one to run, but I also recognize that I can't control what anyone else does and that it's in my best interest to get to the bank before everyone else does.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-06-22, 9:51 AM #15
Originally posted by Tracer:
Martyn: Don't you think that nuclear deterrant is outdated? Who is it protecting you from?

Anyone who has or is trying to get nuclear weapons: North Korea, Iran, (terrorists?) etc. Yes, the nuclear deterrent is a little old hat, but it doesn't mean it's neither effective nor the right thing to do.
2006-06-22, 9:59 AM #16
dont forget the most important thing: badass nuke subs are friggin awesome cool.
2006-06-22, 10:00 AM #17
ICBM's are neat.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-06-22, 10:39 AM #18
Originally posted by lassev:
Yeah. It's good to have a few nuclear weapons readily available; should aliens attack or should they need to be modified quickly to obliterate an asteroid with a nasty trajectory.

Well, subs wouldn't probably be too useful against asteroids, but anyway...

You forgot incoming Wraith ships. The Deadealus (spelling?) can transport the nukes onto the Wraith ships and destroy them, as well as save guys going on a suicide run.

Stargate Atlantis season finale last year, 3 part episode. I only remember it so much because I was up until 1 watching the first two parts saturday night, and then went to camp sunday until that friday, when I came home and got to see part 3 which was airing that night.

I haven't watch SG:A recently.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-22, 10:58 AM #19
Martyn, I said the exact same thing some time ago and all I got was opposition from Massassians.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-22, 11:49 AM #20
But nobody is allowed to disagree with the Mantrain ;)
2006-06-22, 12:15 PM #21
Originally posted by Martyn:
Anyone who has or is trying to get nuclear weapons: North Korea, Iran, (terrorists?) etc. Yes, the nuclear deterrent is a little old hat, but it doesn't mean it's neither effective nor the right thing to do.

But it doesn't protect you from terrorists. They don't attack with ICBMs and such. As for North Korea and Iran, I can't believe that England is their main target.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 12:47 PM #22
After years of imperialism, tea, and bad dental hygiene, I would not be surprised if Great Britain were the terrorists' FIRST target! :o
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-22, 12:49 PM #23
I am fine with the UK not having nukes.
2006-06-22, 12:58 PM #24
NUKE EVERYTHING
D E A T H
2006-06-22, 1:27 PM #25
Like they say in that silly movie "The Core", Mutually Assured Destruction is the only real preventative measure nowadays.

-It's comforting that the only thing preventing us from killing each other is the fact that we'll get killed back harder.
2006-06-22, 1:28 PM #26
I want nuclear detergent. You know, for when Zout doesn't quite cut it.
2006-06-22, 1:30 PM #27
Keeps you whites their whitest. Seriously, like, really white. Like, no dirt molecule left un-decayed white.

-Like, SPF-60 white.
2006-06-22, 1:32 PM #28
Originally posted by Jarl:
Like they say in that silly movie "The Core", Mutually Assured Destruction is the only real preventative measure nowadays.

-It's comforting that the only thing preventing us from killing each other is the fact that we'll get killed back harder.

I think Dr. Strangelove is a better movie example than The Core.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-06-22, 3:28 PM #29
But it doesn't protect you from terrorists. They don't attack with ICBMs and such. As for North Korea and Iran, I can't believe that England is their main target.

The deilvery method doesn't matter, if a terrorist cell suicide bombed us with a nuke, there is a strong chance we'd nuke their homeland in retaliation. Hence the nuclear deterrent.
2006-06-22, 3:36 PM #30
That doesn't make sense. 20 (or any small number) detonating a nuclear device justifies nuking their homeland?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 6:30 PM #31
What's scary is that a nuclear deterrant wouldn't work on Iran, because their president actually wants to cause the apocalypse.

Essentially the entire planet would have to agree that it is in our best interests to nuke Iran first. This is where the Iran situation is heading. North Korea isn't nearly as volatile a situation.
2006-06-22, 6:39 PM #32
Originally posted by Gilgamesh85:
I don't think we (Canucks) have any. Ah well, it makes every day that much more risky and thrilling :P.

But I do agree that it's important for developed nations to have that option, and for others to know it. At least until we all evolve into a much less nasty species.

While us Canadians do not own any (not that I know of atleast) there are actually quite a few nuclear missile silos positioned in Canada. At least I think there are quite a few. I know for sure of one based in Newfoundland.

Now whether the US or Canadian army have control over it is beyond me.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-06-22, 6:42 PM #33
There are no nuclear weapons in Canada anymore. Not since the 60s or 70s or something. When we had nukes they were activated with a dual-key system, one carried by a Canadian and one by an American.
2006-06-22, 6:45 PM #34
Hmmm, seems my information is outdated. Or rather hippie-dated.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-06-22, 10:45 PM #35
That doesn't make sense. 20 (or any small number) detonating a nuclear device justifies nuking their homeland?

They have to believe we would.
2006-06-22, 11:37 PM #36
Originally posted by Echoman:
I think Dr. Strangelove is a better movie example than The Core.

Everyone dies in Dr. Strangelove (except the guys in the well).
And I picked The Core because I was trying to quote it directly, something I haven't seen Strangelove enough times to do.
Unfortunately, I also haven't seen The Core enough times to quote it directly either.

-It's like a giant asteroid, only inside the planet!

↑ Up to the top!