Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Prey Demo
Prey Demo
2006-06-22, 11:18 AM #1
Anybody played the demo yet? I think it was released yesterday. I just played through 30 minutes worth on my lunch break, and all I can say is wow. I cant wait to finish it. The intro is very cool. Maybe it is just me or they revamped to doom 3 engine to look better, because it looks great. Wall walking was a little disorienting at first, but it is pretty cool. The first time I shot a guy while walking on the ceiling and watched him fall up was downright sweet. I am going to be picking it up for sure when it comes out.

Has anyone found the Art Bell appearence? That was rad.
2006-06-22, 11:27 AM #2
I played it for a while until my comp crashed. The engine was somehow neat in it, I ran max settings and it didn't lag at all... the plot didn't seem interesting enough yet, and I hope the full version has a lot of more things.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-06-22, 11:36 AM #3
The story is a little goofy but I can forgive it for now for all its sweet innovations. It runs great on my system too, 1600*1200, I am really impressed.
2006-06-22, 11:37 AM #4
Was that the one that has the crazy-*** physics, or am I confusing it with something else?

[edit]I was thinking of CellFactor.[/edit]
2006-06-22, 11:42 AM #5
Now that Prey is going to be out, there are serious allegations that DNF will actually get finished... They run on the same technology now supposedly. *crosses fingers that 3DRealms will stop being a joke*
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-06-22, 11:49 AM #6
No one has denied DNF not using Unreal engine anymore.

It should use it. UED fun > Radiant fun
2006-06-22, 12:12 PM #7
Well, they are giving the DNF guys a bonus if they get it out by the end of the year
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-06-22, 12:14 PM #8
No, they aren't.
2006-06-22, 12:38 PM #9
Yes, they are, but they're not going to take it just to rush a game.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-06-22, 12:50 PM #10
Prey was fun. The coolest part was when the aliens show up and Don't Fear the Reaper came on. ****in badass.
2006-06-22, 12:52 PM #11
Link to the demo?
2006-06-22, 12:53 PM #12
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=8998
2006-06-22, 12:53 PM #13
Can't wait to get my new computer and play this. Read about it in Game Informer several months back, looks kickass.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-22, 12:53 PM #14
What are you plans for a new computer Zloc?
2006-06-22, 12:56 PM #15
Originally posted by Yecti:
Now that Prey is going to be out, there are serious allegations that DNF will actually get finished... They run on the same technology now supposedly. *crosses fingers that 3DRealms will stop being a joke*

DNF is Unreal, everyone who's "played" (I use quotation marks because even though several magazines have claimed to play it, there's no proof as of yet) it says it uses the Unreal engine.

I think it'll come out this year.
D E A T H
2006-06-22, 12:56 PM #16
I'll write up a PM for you with the specs.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-22, 1:15 PM #17
Does it run better than F.E.A.R. ?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-06-22, 1:17 PM #18
I would say so. I have to run FEAR at 1024*768 to get a decent framerate, but I am running Prey at 1600*1200 4xAA 8xAF and it runs great (6800 Ultra).
2006-06-22, 4:48 PM #19
It's a little choppy at times on my sys, but still pretty hot. The human models kinda suck, but otherwise the graphics are pretty tight.
But the gameplay... the gameplay...
It's like, if, say, Star Wars IV were... Like, Half-Life 2, then Prey would be, frikkin, like, 2001 and Fight Club combined. It's surreal. You run on walls and ceilings, shoot these gravity things to get thrown around a lot, you can leach new kinds of weaponry off generators stored in the walls, and the portals are just insane. The best one is the part where you walk into the one room, and, like, a crate gets knocked over and there's a portal in it and on the other side you see one of those mean little critters and then behind it there's another portal that shrinks you down and puts you on the little rock thing, then when you're on it you see the alien walk into the room, look t you, then step through his own portal and apear on the little rock right in front of you...
Man, that was crazy.
Hey, what was with the little girl turning into an evil ghost that killed the little boy? That was weird. And, like, really disturbing in a way that I haven't seen in a game since... well, since the ghostly children's laughter in the playground in HL2, with the little doll that says "MAMA!" when you pick it up.

-Actually, that's my main complaint, no "use/activate" button. You use the left click, the shoot button, to use things. It's counter-intuitive.
2006-06-22, 6:03 PM #20
Originally posted by Jarl:
The best one is the part where you walk into the one room, and, like, a crate gets knocked over and there's a portal in it and on the other side you see one of those mean little critters and then behind it there's another portal that shrinks you down and puts you on the little rock thing, then when you're on it you see the alien walk into the room, look t you, then step through his own portal and apear on the little rock right in front of you...

That was freakin sweet.
Hey, what was with the little girl turning into an evil ghost that killed the little boy? That was weird. And, like, really disturbing in a way that I haven't seen in a game since... well, since the ghostly children's laughter in the playground in HL2, with the little doll that says "MAMA!" when you pick it up.

That was freakin weird.

The multiplayer is sooooooo disorienting at first but it gets better. Really fast-paced insave gravity defying action.
This game rules. :psyduck:
2006-06-22, 6:06 PM #21
Screenshots?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-22, 10:52 PM #22
did someone say screenshots?

[http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2265/017qk.th.jpg][http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4706/026sw.th.jpg][http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8554/037tr1.th.jpg]
[http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2854/049dj1.th.jpg][http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9035/052km1.th.jpg][http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5162/064jp.th.jpg]
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-06-22, 10:57 PM #23
Aw, man, I really need to get my hands on this game and the editor. It'd be the perfect game to make playable area's out of Escher's work.
2006-06-22, 11:01 PM #24
I'm surprised such a beautiful game can run so smoothly on my 6800GT. \m/
D E A T H
2006-06-22, 11:31 PM #25
Looks better on yours.

-Strange. I've got an ATI 9600 SE, 1.84 ghz, 512 ram, and I've got choppiness at far lower level details. :(
2006-06-23, 12:02 AM #26
Looks better on yours.

-Strange. I've got an ATI 9600 SE, 1.84 ghz, 512 ram, and I've got choppiness at far lower level details. :(

I'm guess it's the ram causing it. I would upgrade to a gig to reduce the choppiness.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-06-23, 12:37 AM #27
http://files.filefront.com/Prey+Demo/;5175708;;/fileinfo.html
Fileshack's the devil.
And I played some of the Multiplayer. Awesome.
It reminded me of an idea I had for a Q3 mod a while back. I was playing... gosh, I think it was BfP, and I got killed (duh) and was in spectator mode, and had an idea for a multiplayer game that simultaneously took place in the real world and in the spirit realm. Humans versus Ghosts, a class system for humans (ghostbuster and that sort of thing), probably with one Ghost as the Grim Reaper or something. I had all sorts of ideas for it, like possesion and stuff...
But this is awesome anyways.
Now, that (I think it was just called "life/death" or something like that) as a mod for this? That would be cool.

-Speaking of death, this game has the best "continue" screen of any game I've ever played, though I wish there was a way to actually *die* during it, and thus not be able to continue. Unless there is, and I'm just too good at the game to notice.
2006-06-23, 4:02 AM #28
it didnt seem like anything particuarly special to me, bog standard run and gun gameplay with some mad parts.

the spirit dude was pretty cool though, with a bow and arrow.

pretty graphics, forgettable weapons and not much special in the gameplay department that made it seem much more special than any other fps i've played.
2006-06-23, 2:51 PM #29
It's pretty fun, but it bugs me that it looks and feels so much like Quake 4... the dark metallic corridors with super fancy architecture and wierd organic machinery, with humans being tortured and turned into weird alien thingys.. I'm kinda sick of that stuff after Doom 3 and Quake 4.

Just as I was about to exit and uninstall the demo I reached the part where you get the ability to use your spirit... which drew me right back in. Definately very cool .The changing gravity stuff is neat, too. I just hope the full game has more variety in locations than Doom 3 or Quake 4.
-Snootle
2006-06-23, 4:42 PM #30
Looks better on yours.

The 9600SE is hardly better than a 9200 and you have a 512MB of RAM.

I'm a little surprised it's playable at all. Upgrade dude!
2006-06-24, 6:34 AM #31
Very gimmicky game but very funky and a hell of a lot of fun. Great use of gravity with the aforementioned walking up walls creating some memorable fights with enemies coming at you from literally every direction. I liked the bits where you could alter which way gravity was pulling you also. The portals are cool, too, and almost amusing in places.

Anyone playing the demo, make sure to die at least once. No reloading! Death is handled quite originally and involves shooting stuff with the spirit bow. Very nice touch.

The weapons are, if nothing else, satisfying.

Graphically it was a bit of a mixed bag. Some parts are very pretty, but those canyons in the spirit walking sequence look like they're out of the oringal Half Life and those wall thingies that like to vomit are on about that level too.

Multiplayer is a ****ing mind-bend, but meh, not really my cup of tea.

Overall, a game I'll buy next time I'm looking for something new and entertaining.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-06-24, 7:19 AM #32
From the creators of Rune, Blue Oyster Cult, and aliens. I'm going to have to check this out.
2006-06-26, 1:22 PM #33
That was the coolest demo ive played in a while.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.

↑ Up to the top!