Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Join the Pirate Party
Join the Pirate Party
2006-06-22, 3:08 PM #1
We Want YOU

and here's an article with an awkward link

I'm just going to join because of the name, which is why I think most people join political parties anyway( :psyduck: ), but I actually take a bit of stock in this issue, so I'm killing two birds with one stone.

I take Canada's view on p2p in regards to music: if it's free to listen to and record on the radio, then why shouldn't you be allowed to download it?

What do you think?
Your skill in reading has increased by 1 point.
2006-06-22, 3:11 PM #2
It's not free to listen to on the radio - you don't pay, but the station does.

If I had a CD out, I would want to be compensated for my work.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 3:30 PM #3
Originally posted by Tracer:

Right, but the second it goes over public airwaves, it's public domain. It's perfectly legal to record it off the radio, so if you really want it "legally" and free, all you have to do is find a station that'll play the song, and have a recorder ready. Downloading it just speeds up the process. Same goes for stuff like Tivo. VHS is legal, but the second it becomes digital the corporate heads start getting anal.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-06-22, 3:33 PM #4
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
Right, but the second it goes over public airwaves, it's public domain.

...What? So as soon as the radio station plays my song all my copyrights vanish?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 3:38 PM #5

Actually, the sponsors who advertise on those radio stations pay for it... ;)

Originally posted by Article:
WN: Do you believe that artists should be paid for their work?

Allison: Indeed I do, and it would be nice if the conglomerates that make up the RIAA would actually pay most of their contract artists what they're worth. Artists should really welcome file sharing as a method to promote their work and their touring events, and to escape the clutches of Big Music that they sign away their lives to. No one has ever gone broke and homeless or ever will because of file sharing, but the RIAA has not been averse to suing penniless 12-year-olds living in public housing for sharing files.

WN: Do you currently download software illegally?

Sigal: I'm not going to answer that one. But I support the downloading of music, movies and software for trial use, or to gain knowledge in the pursuit of development.

Allison: No. Not at all.

WN: Are you worried about the RIAA and MPAA deploying resources against you?

Allison: For now, the Pirate Party U.S. is a small undertaking that will probably exist under the MPAA's and RIAA's radar for some time. When they do notice us, I doubt they'll openly confront the party itself. Plus, they can't dismiss us as scofflaws like they do the people they sue since we want to change the laws rather than break them. So if they confront us openly, it rightfully puts their own motives to keep the status quo into question. Therefore, I expect they'll attack us through a proxy, perhaps through funding a pseudo-activist group or by influencing election officials to keep us off the ballot.

Sigal: Worried? Not at all. These fear tactics and scare tactics are doing the exact opposite -- yeah, they've busted a lot of people, good for them. But you've also seen a huge increase in the amount of illegal downloads. I think it's hurting them. The RIAA and MPAA need to wake up and see that they're doing something wrong and we're doing something right.

WN: What about RIAA CEO Mitch Bainwol's statement last week that "we believe digital downloads have emerged into a growing, thriving business and file-trading is flat?"

Allison: Bainwol should talk to Weird Al Yankovic about that. On the same day Bainwol said that, The Digital Music Weblog posted an article where Al said he gets more money from CD sales than from downloads, ironically enough. Getting his music sold through iTunes, the most well-recognized music download business, Al actually faces an 85 percent reduction in income compared to CD sales. The savings from not having to produce a CD or open up a brick-and-mortar record store are passed to Al's RIAA-affiliated label and Apple, not to Al himself.

Therefore, the companies that make up Bainwol's RIAA and Apple are benefiting from a "growing, thriving business," but not the artists. Big surprise, given this industry's history.

File-sharing, on the other hand, allows an artist to professionally record from their own studio, get their music out there to a wider audience by using the fans' bandwidth rather than their own, and reap financial benefits through touring and selling physical property that music lovers want in the form of a CD in a jewel case with liner notes, as well as related merchandise -- all without the RIAA siphoning off their hard-earned money via one-sided recording contracts, be it through CD sales or iTunes.

Sigal: I don't think that they've contained anything, and BitTorrent is all the proof you need. It sounds to me like they're conceding but they're just trying to do it politely.
"The solution is simple."
2006-06-22, 3:42 PM #6
I was referring more to the licencing fees the radio station pays BMI and ASCAP for. And I didn't read the article, I was responding to theaurin's question.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 4:12 PM #7
...What? So as soon as the radio station plays my song all my copyrights vanish?

I'm not paying to listen for it. I'm not paying to listen to it if I record it. By downloading the file legally the artist gets jack **** anyway, so why should I fund the RIAA?
$do || ! $do ; try
2006-06-22, 4:32 PM #8
The RIAA exists solely to enforce the RIAA Standard Equalization Curve.
The MPAA exists solely to enforce the MPAA Ratings system.

-but that's faulty logic, by which the United States exists solely to present a united front of colonies in order to demand representation in English Parliament
2006-06-22, 4:33 PM #9
I think I'm going to vote Piratpartiet in September's elections.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-06-22, 4:33 PM #10
I'm not debating that the RIAA with you.

Quote:
By downloading the file legally the artist gets jack **** anyway

Are you talking about stuff like iTunes? And it doesn't matter how much or how little the artist gets - that's for the artist and the recording company to haggle over.

Quote:
so why should I fund the RIAA

If I release an album and you download it, you just put me out whatever my cut was. That's the bottom line. Downloading albums rips off professional musicians. If you don't want to fund the RIAA then I guess you can't have music from anyone on their labels.

I don't understand all this anti-RIAA sentiment. Sure, they don't get the technology (historically, record companies never have), but all they're trying to do is protect themselves and their artists. I mean, the RIAA doesn't actively persecute you or anything.

I'll just add that I'm a music major in college, so I sort of have a vested interest in this topic. I'd be interested to have other musicians weighing in. I sort of think that people mostly rail against the RIAA because they want free songs...I doubt if you'll find any professional musicians who will say "you know what? Take my work without paying. I can do without the money." (promotional-type stuff notwithstanding)
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 4:38 PM #11
It is a good comparison, I beleive.

With radio and file sharing programs, you can go through the channels and pick which song you want to 'download,' or record, onto a 'disk,' or tape/cd.

And the argument that radio stations (and/or their sponsors) having to pay for the music is also valid... but in music downloads, didn't someone have to purchase the songs in the first place to get them online?

In my opinion, file sharing is no different that radio. Why punish those who download (since you can record music from the radio just as easily)? Would it not be better to punish those who Upload (since, correct me if I'm wrong, it is illegal to set up an unauthorized radio station, and the upload of files can be seen as the creation of an 'unauthorized' 'station'). The people who download music simply are 'tuning in' to the 'station' and 'recording' the music onto 'tapes' just as you would on a radio or whatever.

That's just my opinion, though.

[EDIT: oops, typo <_<]
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2006-06-22, 4:43 PM #12
In Canada downloading is legal, providing the files is illegal. Personally, I think they're both wrong.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 4:54 PM #13
In Canada downloading is legal, providing the files is illegal. Personally, I think they're both wrong.

I'm not sure I follow that, can you elaborate?
2006-06-22, 4:56 PM #14
... but all they're trying to do is protect themselves. I mean...

fixed
$do || ! $do ; try
2006-06-22, 4:58 PM #15
What I'm actually more interested in is the abolishment of patents, which is one of the three issues that the Swedish pirate party drives. Recommended reading found here: http://www2.piratpartiet.se/piratpolitik/patent (Most in English)

The abolishment of copyright is another of my interests at heart, but I find that one secondary from a social and economical perspective.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-06-22, 5:00 PM #16
No offense, bob, but how can you say something like that? Do you understand the business relationship between labels and artists?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 5:07 PM #17
Zarn got it. He hit the nail on the head.

Tracer, I understand you have a vested interest, but keep in mind that the technology to duplicate and distribute your work is much less expensive then it used to be. In the old days, you HAD to sign a deal with a major label to make it. That is no longer true today. Today, you can build your own recording and distribution label company in your own basement. Hire a promotion agent and your set. Don't defend the RIAA's actions just because you have a misguided belief that the RIAA somehow holds the future of your success. Times have changed. People now hold a lot of power in being able to do things to make themselves successful. In reality, the RIAA shafts the artist of what is rightfully their cut of the profit. After all, it's the Artists music that is selling the CD's, why should the RIAA get the largest cut of the profit? So, again, if you do the math, you'll find that making yourself successful in the music world can be done on your own and you'll recieve a much higher percentage yeild of the profits to boot...
2006-06-22, 5:10 PM #18
This sounds like communist propoganda
2006-06-22, 5:11 PM #19
What's wrong with communism? :ninja: :P
2006-06-22, 5:13 PM #20
I think you are all missing the important issue here.

Obviously, ninjas are quite a bit more awesome then pirates.

:ninja:
2006-06-22, 5:15 PM #21
Originally posted by thauruin:

I'm pretty sure (I talked to Final_Hope__ about this, I believe) it means that...well, I'll do some letter people.

A = Person who bought CD and uploaded it on a P2P program
B = Person who downloaded CD from person A, who uploaded it
C = Person who downloaded CD from person B, who downloaded it from person A

A bought the CD, uploaded it. B found said CD and downloaded it, then to keep the P2P network going, he seeds the files as well. Person C downloads it from Person B, and is legal for him.

I really can't remember if that's right, I had some logic for explaining it, but forgot it when I opened this thread. Sorry, and I'm certain that's wrong. I just think that's what it is, or that's what I think I heard.

DO NOT TAKE ANY OF THE ABOVE POST AS FACT! I am not sure on the integrity of any of that.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-22, 5:21 PM #22
Quote:
In the old days, you HAD to sign a deal with a major label to make it.

No, you didn't. There have always been lots of independant record labels.

Quote:
Don't defend the RIAA's actions just because you have a misguided belief that the RIAA somehow holds the future of your success.

I don't believe that the RIAA is "the future of my success".

Quote:
In reality, the RIAA shafts the artist of what is rightfully their cut of the profit.

This is only valid if you're a professional musician who feels he or she is getting "shafted". This argument leads me to believe that you don't really understand how pro musicians make a living - the RIAA doesn't exist for the sole purpose of exploiting anybody. Recording companies that make up the RIAA negotiate deals with musicians who may or may not get screwed, depending on how well they work out their deal.

Quote:
So, again, if you do the math, you'll find that making yourself successful in the music world can be done on your own and you'll recieve a much higher percentage yeild of the profits to boot...

I've done the math. I don't think you understand what you're saying.

You seem to be suggesting that I buy some gear and record and produce my band in my basement or something, which can be a good idea but I don't see what it's got to do with music piracy.

Let me put it this way: if I put out a CD which you download without my permission, then you're ripping me off. Would you work for free?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 5:28 PM #23
Originally posted by thauruin:

Basically it means that the people who provide the content are breaking the law, not the people who download it. I'm not sure how this works with file sharing programs in which you upload and download a single file at the same time.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 5:33 PM #24
You'll be surprised how many people buy CD's even after downloading one or all of the songs to a particular album. Largelly because it's the equilivant of 'tipping' a good waitress. People support the things they like and the things they want more of. As for the rest, I'll just agree to disagree and not bother argueing those points because all of the information supporting it has been covered and recovered time and again.

At any rate, it's not even suppose to be about the money. It's suppose to be about reaching the greatest number of people possible to communicate a message with them on a personal level. Anybody who is in an "art" for the money is in it for the wrong reasons. This goes for doctors, lawyers, preachers, etc. Teachers and Policemen are examples of people that do what they do because they enjoy doing it and and enjoy what they are doing for the people they interact with. The whole point is that money and greed is corrupting and restraining the free-flow of information and ideas and thus is holding back progress (whether intentionally or unintentionally).
2006-06-22, 5:40 PM #25
Here's an analogy for ya, person A steals a bunch of stuff from a store and procedes to sell it. You know (and the police know you know) that it is stolen material, but you get it anyway. The police catch you. You're charged with knowingly posessing stolen material.

And another thing, you can't compare downloading off the internet to recording off the radio. The radio station paid for the rights to broadcast, the internet site did not pay to upload the file. technically if you make copies of a recorded tape and distribute them, that is still illegal because you didn't have the rights to distribute the songs.

[edit] and for this whole downloading songs should be ok because it makes people want to go buy the CD, that should be up to the artists themselves. I know of several artists who put a few songs on their own websites for you to listen to (complete songs). It shouldn't be up to the public to decide whether their songs should be put online for free [/edit]
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2006-06-22, 5:55 PM #26
Years of editing JK and other video games and not receiving a dime for it make me weep very little for those "artist". I do what I do because it's something I enjoy. These so called "artist" make a 5-10 year investment into the music world and then they're set for life. And what did they do to advance society so much that they deserve to live that kind of life style when there are people straining muscles every day, 8 hours a day, for 20, 30, 40 years, just to be able to retire in a middle class life style. These laborers make the things these so called "artist" enjoy. So, you'll excuss me when I have a hard time feeling sorry for them.

If they want to do it as a hobby in their spare time like real artist do and put up a Pay Pal on a website asking for donations to support more artistic works from them, then that's one thing. This is something totally different. Am I bitter for not getting paid to make JK levels? No, it's an artistic hobby that I enjoy doing and sharing with other people. The same should be true for music "artist" as well.

For the record, I don't own any P2P software and a regularily purchase CD's to support the bands I like...even though I know I could obtain the "art" at zero cost, that's not the point.
2006-06-22, 6:14 PM #27
Originally posted by CaptBevvil:
Years of editing JK and other video games and not receiving a dime for it make me weep very little for those "artist". I do what I do because it's something I enjoy. These so called "artist" make a 5-10 year investment into the music world and then they're set for life. And what did they do to advance society so much that they deserve to live that kind of life style when there are people straining muscles every day, 8 hours a day, for 20, 30, 40 years, just to be able to retire in a middle class life style. These laborers make the things these so called "artist" enjoy. So, you'll excuss me when I have a hard time feeling sorry for them.

If they want to do it as a hobby in their spare time like real artist do and put up a Pay Pal on a website asking for donations to support more artistic works from them, then that's one thing. This is something totally different. Am I bitter for not getting paid to make JK levels? No, it's an artistic hobby that I enjoy doing and sharing with other people. The same should be true for music "artist" as well.

For the record, I don't own any P2P software and a regularily purchase CD's to support the bands I like...even though I know I could obtain the "art" at zero cost, that's not the point.

I'm stunned. You don't have any understanding of the life of a pro musician at all, and just sound upset over rock stars.

Look, for pro musicians to be able to pursue the art that you hold so highly, they need to be able to pay the bills. Especially if they have anything resembling a normal life (family, house, car). To a professional, music isn't some hobby you dick around with in your spare time. It's not some thing where you practise for five years or so and then become famous. To a pro, it's a lifelong thing. To a pro, it's your hobby and your nine-to-five job.

You also draw a comparison to police officers and teachers, saying they do their thing not for the big money but because they like it and believe in it. That may be, but they also wouldn't work for free.

Quote:
You'll be surprised how many people buy CD's even after downloading one or all of the songs to a particular album.

Are you reading my posts? I already addressed this. Using the internet for promotion is a good idea. You know what would be better, though? If people used iTunes or some other paid downloading service to sample the tunes before purchase.

And come to think of it, there are many ways of sampling a CD before you buy it that don't hurt the artist. Record stores will let you listen to them. You might hear it on the radio. Or like I said you could use iTunes (which is like what, a dollar per song?).
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 6:28 PM #28
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39155-2004Dec6.html
2006-06-22, 6:35 PM #29
I'm stunned. You don't have any understanding of the life of a pro musician at all, and just sound upset over rock stars.

Why would I be upset?

Quote:
Look, for pro musicians to be able to pursue the art that you hold so highly, they need to be able to pay the bills. Especially if they have anything resembling a normal life (family, house, car). To a professional, music isn't some hobby you dick around with in your spare time. It's not some thing where you practise for five years or so and then become famous. To a pro, it's a lifelong thing. To a pro, it's your hobby and your nine-to-five job.

...and it's a good (read poor) excuss to get out of getting a real education and do something that will have a significant impact on society as a whole. Not to mention that, very very VERY few artist make it a "life long" pursuit. They do their 5-10 years and then retire. And why shouldn't they when they have the money to enjoy all the other things in life?

Quote:
You also draw a comparison to police officers and teachers, saying they do their thing not for the big money but because they like it and believe in it. That may be, but they also wouldn't work for free.

If we lived in a society where they would be provided for in the same way...my brother would tell you he would (he's a cop). The Amish perform hard labor everyday for no money at all. They work to provide and better their society...and it's the closest thing this world has ever seen to a Communist government/economy.

Quote:
Are you reading my posts? I already addressed this. Using the internet for promotion is a good idea. You know what would be better, though? If people used iTunes or some other paid downloading service to sample the tunes before purchase.

But that's not going to happen. If you'd read the article (including the last bit of the section I posted above), artist are actually loosing money through iTunes and similar services. Wierd Al saw a 85% decrease.

Quote:
And come to think of it, there are many ways of sampling a CD before you buy it that don't hurt the artist. Record stores will let you listen to them. You might hear it on the radio. Or like I said you could use iTunes (which is like what, a dollar per song?).

1. (Store Sampling) Too inconvienent in today's age. It's also a waste of a trip to the store if I'm a teen on an allowance and won't have enough money for another week.
2. (Radio) I only get to hear 1 or 2 songs off the album. Even though I tend to like 3-4 of the 'other' songs on the same album that are never even heard on the radio.
3. (iTunes) Again, people feel like their 'dollar' is adequetly supporting their band, so they feel no need to go out and buy the CD.
2006-06-22, 7:44 PM #30
Quote:
Here's an analogy for ya, person A steals a bunch of stuff from a store and procedes to sell it. You know (and the police know you know) that it is stolen material, but you get it anyway. The police catch you. You're charged with knowingly posessing stolen material.

Downloading isn't Theft, it's Copyright Infringement. Learn the difference and quit listening to the RIAA rhetoric. Piracy and Copyright Infringement are interchangeable terms.

Quote:
and for this whole downloading songs should be ok because it makes people want to go buy the CD, that should be up to the artists themselves.

...but it's often not up to the artist due to the RIAA.

Quote:
It shouldn't be up to the public to decide whether their songs should be put online for free

The public is exactly who it should be up to. I don't live in China and don't intend to ever think that the government nor the RIAA/MPAA knows what's best for me and the society in which I live.

These debates are so retarded. We shouldn't be arguing about law. We should be debating the philosophical issues involved. I'm always so disappointed in these threads...
2006-06-22, 8:16 PM #31
Originally posted by MentatMM:
Downloading isn't Theft, it's Copyright Infringement. Learn the difference and quit listening to the RIAA rhetoric. Piracy and Copyright Infringement are interchangeable terms.

So you don't consider taking and using a product that you didn't purchase as theft?

...but it's often not up to the artist due to the RIAA.

They signed with the RIAA because they didn't want their music to be free. Thus, their choice.

The public is exactly who it should be up to. I don't live in China and don't intend to ever think that the government nor the RIAA/MPAA knows what's best for me and the society in which I live.

Do you have a job? If so, then do you feel the public should decide what your wages are? Do you feel that the public should decide whether what you do should be given away freely?

These debates are so retarded. We shouldn't be arguing about law. We should be debating the philosophical issues involved. I'm always so disappointed in these threads...

As far as I can tell, whether or not the public should have control over free songs is a philosophical issue as well as a legal issue. If you have something philosophical to contribute, I'd be happy to debate with you (peacefully, of course. None of my posts should be taken in an angry tone, I'm just here to debate)
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2006-06-22, 8:35 PM #32
Quote:
...and it's a good (read poor) excuss to get out of getting a real education and do something that will have a significant impact on society as a whole. Not to mention that, very very VERY few artist make it a "life long" pursuit. They do their 5-10 years and then retire. And why shouldn't they when they have the money to enjoy all the other things in life?

...who are these people that reture in five years? How can you make a claim like "very very VERY few artist make it a "life long" pursuit"? Being a professional musician is a job like any other. And I'm confused: are you saying that studying music is less valid than any other subject? Do you not think that being a musician is a legitimate career?

I don't know where you're getting this stuff. The majority of musicians work their whole life then retire with their pension. Nobody retires in five years.

Quote:
If we lived in a society where they would be provided for in the same way...my brother would tell you he would (he's a cop). The Amish perform hard labor everyday for no money at all. They work to provide and better their society...and it's the closest thing this world has ever seen to a Communist government/economy.

This is beside the point. I'm not debating the merits of some kind of Plato utopia, I'm arguing that it's wrong to download music without compensating the artist.

Quote:
If you'd read the article (including the last bit of the section I posted above), artist are actually loosing money through iTunes and similar services. Wierd Al saw a 85% decrease.

Fair enough. I read the article and that's not what it says. What it does say is that Wierd Al's iTunes profits are 85% less than his CD profits, but there's no comparison made between how many CDs he's sold and how many iTunes downloads he's had. It's a useless statistic without that.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 8:39 PM #33
Artists make most of their money through concerts.
2006-06-22, 8:41 PM #34
...how is that relevant? Even if I make $100 off of my concert and $10 of off my CD, if you pirate that CD you've just deprived me of $10 that should rightfully be mine.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 8:45 PM #35
Tracer, the RIAA is a bad conglomerate, from wanting more than 70% of the revenue of sales on iTunes to the rootkits installed by CDS to the RIAA's claim that you can't rip songs to your MP3 player to claiming that you can't back up copies of your CD's. While I do pay for all my music, it's out of respect for the artist; if there were a way to get the money to the artist without funding the RIAA, I would.

As for the "more money from concerts" argument: your CDs don't sell at all. Unless you're a very well-established band, what reason does a recording company exec have to fund your concert?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-22, 8:48 PM #36
Oh, I agree. The RIAA is bad. However, I don't see how that justifies pirating songs.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-06-22, 8:53 PM #37
Oh, okay, then. I agree.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-22, 9:09 PM #38
Look it's intellectual property. Meaning its property that's really easy to steal. Using it with out properly obtaining the rights to it is stealing. This is between, you the media companies and God. Thread over. :rolleyes:
2006-06-22, 9:28 PM #39
I'm not even going to start trying to justify the things I do illegally: I can't afford 20 bucks a CD, or even 10 bucks a CD. I can download music with little to no concequences. If I really like a band, I'll support them by buying their CD (If only for the materialism of it), but that's about as far as my morals go. I know it's wrong, but I don't make any money, and won't until I get a degree. Until then... oh well. I don't consider it as immoral as it is unlawful.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-22, 11:26 PM #40
I think the answer is very simple. As long as the artist doesn't want to give away copies of his music or let people listen to it for free, people have no right to download it. The artists should be able to control the distribution of their music and the liscensing model that they use. If they want to be ******* and not let anybody listen to their music before buying it, then that's their right as the original copyright owner. However, if they like their fans and make music for the love of it, then they'll allow listening or downloading as they please, whether it be by liscensing their music under Creative Commons or some other means.

Other than there being very few good RIAA-signed artists anymore, one of the main reasons I explore non-RIAA labels is because they generally are much less stringent about their rules for listening/downloading and really try to please the listeners. I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again, but Magnatune is one of the best examples of what I'm talking about. They allow listening to streams of their music library, they allow podcasting of their music, and they allow buyers to burn 3 copies to share with their friends. While I have yet to hear of any Magnatune artists making countrywide tours, none of them are dirt poor, and several are quite successful professional musicians.

Oh, and one more thing. Yes, the RIAA is majorly corrupt and robs their artists. Courtney Love, of all people, explains it the best. Also, the RIAA needs to be shot for what they're trying to pull and what they're lobbying for in the articles Wolfy posted, among other issues.

So yeah, if you want free music, find artists and labels that cater to the consumer. If you want to listen to whatever popular **** the radio happens to be playing that week, be prepared to pay for it under the stringent enforcement of copyright by the RIAA.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.

↑ Up to the top!