Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Great DS Games
Great DS Games
2006-06-23, 10:05 AM #1
I'm looking for GREAT (not just "good") DS games. I beat new super mario and now I'm in the process of getting all the coins from all the levels (sort of hard) and finding all the secrets. But it's going quickly (this game isn't nearly as hard or as long as super mario 3 or super mario world - or maybe I'm just better at mario games than I used to be?).

So, I need recommendations for GREAT games on the DS (or game boy advance).

Here are the DS games I've played so you get an idea of what I like:

New Super Mario - GREAT
Super Mario Kart - Good
Nintendogs - stupid
Wario min-games game - stupid
Sonic Rush - crappy

Games I've liked on older game boys:
zelda minish cap
zelda links awakening
All the mario platformers
tetris
metroid fusion
metroid zero mission
final fantasy remakes
re-release of zelda 1

Any recommendations? If possible, post a screenshot!
2006-06-23, 10:14 AM #2
NSMB is by far the best DS game to date. Metroid Primte: Hunters was pretty good, and since we register all our games at nintendo.com we get a free strategy guide with it.

OH! TETRIS! Get the new Tetris game. Get it noooooow! Me and my mom (she's a tetris lover) play that game CONSTANTLY. It's VERY fun.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-23, 10:15 AM #3
I hear the new metroid is excellent. If you haven't already tried it out, though, I'd see if you can't borrow someone's demo cartridge.

And a lot of people thought Nintendogs was awesomazing, so hey :p

EDIT: And the game by the makers of Lumines...Meteos I think it is. It's supposed to be better than Lumines, and Lumines is ****ing amazing.
D E A T H
2006-06-23, 10:17 AM #4
Nintendogs was pretty dumb, I thought.

And while the demo shares some of the same qualities as the finished game, there's noticable differences. If you can't borrow the demo from someone, or if you know someone with the game, I suggest borrowing the whole thing first and playing the SP for an hour or so.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-23, 10:23 AM #5
the new metroid
viewtiful joe
advance wars dual strike
animal crossing
2006-06-23, 10:28 AM #6
New Super Mario - GREAT (I agree)
Super Mario Kart - Good (I think it's the best mario kart game ever made. It takes the best from the SNES/N64/GC version and puts them all together. WiFi is a plus too.)
Nintendogs - stupid (I agree)
Wario min-games game - stupid (You should burn in hell for that.)
Sonic Rush - crappy (Haven't played it, only heard things about it..although I've only heard good things. :P)

If you are looking for some really great games, pick these up.

Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble - The controls take a bit of getting used to, but the game is just as fun if not more fun than Viewtiful Joe on the GC/PS2. It puts the touch screen to use and includes a lot of simple puzzles throughout the levels, but at heart it's a sidescrolling beat em up game. ($19.99) Click here for gameplay videos.

Metroid Prime: Hunters - If you loved Metroid Prime 1/2 on the GC pick this up. This also has a bit of a learning curve, but it's well worth it. The multiplayer is VERY fun and the single player is better. The games graphics are amazing for the DS and the game itself is around 20 - 24 hours. ($34.99) Click here for gameplay videos.

Kirby Canvas Curse - A really awesome game. It's all 2d, but it's really creative in fun. The entire game uses nothing but the stylus. It's amazing that they pulled it off, but it works and it's great fun. ($34.99) Click here for gameplay videos.

If you didn't like Wario Ware because of how every mini game uses the touch screen in a different way, stay away from Kirby, it's ALL touchscreen as well. Viewtiful Joe also uses the touch screen a lot, but not as much as Kirby. The most normal game out of the three picks above is Metroid Prime: Hunters, but even that uses the screen a bit. I am just guessing you don't like games that use the screen a lot. I'm just judging it on your dislike Wario Ware / Nintendogs, so I could be wrong, but I'm just letting you know incase.

The best deal for the games above is Viewtiful Joe in my opinion. It's $19.99 and it's a LOT of fun. Metroid Prime: Hunters is worth every cent of it's pricetag, but if you are looking for a great yet cheap game, go for Viewtiful Joe.

Also, if you are into the 'Brain Training' games. Big Brain Academy is really fun. All the Brain games are $19.99, so think about picking one of those up.

If you want to try out some of these games before you purchase them go to Gamestop / Best Buy / A BUNCH of other places. They have things called 'DS Download Stations' You turn on your DS without a game and tap "DS Download Play" it will bring you to a screen where you can temporarily download demos of games to your DS for free. Yesterday at Gamestop I saw demos for a few Brain games, Metroid Prime, Tetris, and a few others.

I hope that helped a bit. Have fun with the DS.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-06-23, 11:12 AM #7
Age of Empires - Age of Kings. I played it at a friends house, its awesome.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-06-23, 11:37 AM #8
Oh my God, I can't believe no one has mentioned Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. Brian, you owe it to yourself to buy this game, especially if you liked the Metroid games for GBA. I think you would love this game... to me, it's beyond the category "great". It's worth the price of the DS in my opinion.
Attachment: 12605/castlevania-dawn-of-sorrow-20050816025657169.jpg (33,461 bytes)
Attachment: 12606/castlevania-dawn-of-sorrow-20051003114238953.jpg (36,944 bytes)
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2006-06-23, 11:41 AM #9
*********, you guys are making me want to spend graduation money on a DS Lite and Castlevania. I really need to save my money. :|
D E A T H
2006-06-23, 11:49 AM #10
I just got a DS Lite and Metriod Prime Hunters. The game is execellent. Takes a while to get used to the control scheme though.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
2006-06-23, 12:01 PM #11
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]*********, you guys are making me want to spend graduation money on a DS Lite and Castlevania. I really need to save my money. :|[/QUOTE]
I am tempted to get one as well. Working full time over the summer sucks, but I need to save money for school :(
2006-06-23, 12:25 PM #12
Yeah, Metroid Prime: Hunters is great... we should get a massassi game together some time, multiplayer is a blast.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-06-23, 1:22 PM #13
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't mind using the stylus. The problem I had with that wario game (which I admittedly only played the demo in the store) was that it gives you no directions and you have just 3 seconds or something to figure out what to do and do it before the game is over. Plus, I thought it was just silly, there's no depth there.

The castlevania game looks cool, I will definitely check that out.
2006-06-23, 1:27 PM #14
That's the point of Wario Ware. It keeps you aware. There are over 300 mini games, wach of them lasting only 3 seconds. There are different sets of mini games, and all of them use the stylus in a different way. Some even use the mic. It's good fun if you sit down and play it.
Think while it's still legal.

↑ Up to the top!