Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → fun games out of nowhere
fun games out of nowhere
2004-06-22, 10:08 PM #1
i'm sure we've all looked at the budget titles at the stores for a moment only to not buy them... but occasionally... there is that game that you just have to buy... here's a chance to list those budget titles worth looking at even if only for a moment

I Was an Atomic Mutant fun game... i suggest checking the demo

Apache AH-64 Air Assault kinda arcade/sim-ish fairly fun...

Big Mutha Truckers almost doesn't count since it actually had commercials and real advertising but it was released at $20 so it counts.. surprisingly fun and a bit addictive...

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-06-22, 11:05 PM #2
Beyond Good & Evil

An action-adventure title from Ubisoft that was released this Christmas but I never heard of until February when they declared it a total flop, slashed the retail prices, and canceled (errr... or "delayed indefinitely") the sequel.

Everybody who had played it and the press seemed to love it though. It isn't very long (Played through in about four days) or difficult, and most of the combat is just simple button mashing to chain up combos. I honestly can't think of anything else bad to say about it.

The graphics may not be next-generation stuff, but the world looks very well-designed and lived in (uses the same engine as Prince of Persia: Sands of Time). The voice-acting and music is stellar. Plenty of mini-games and lots of stuff to collect. Simple yet fun sneaking sections that balances well into the game. No jumping puzzles (inability to fall off an edge, automatic jumping to other surfaces if you run towards it). A female main character who isn't done for sex appeal marketing. A nice twisty turny plot.

Do give it a try.

------------------
Worth a million in prizes, baby.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-06-23, 1:42 PM #3
that's technically not a budget title...

it was $50 at one time.... so [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

but it is a good game that alot of people didn't play or buy...

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-06-23, 1:56 PM #4
I love it, but it is too bad it didn't sell well. The ending begged for a sequel, as did the lack of explination about Jade.

------------------
"Church, women are like Voltron, the more you can hook up, the better it gets!"
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

Ph34r t3h Cute Ones
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2004-06-23, 2:40 PM #5
Serious Sam

------------------
This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
2004-06-23, 2:53 PM #6
Red Faction 2

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-06-23, 3:30 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daeron the Nerfherder:
Beyond Good & Evil

An action-adventure title from Ubisoft that was released this Christmas but I never heard of until February when they declared it a total flop, slashed the retail prices, and canceled (errr... or "delayed indefinitely") the sequel.

Everybody who had played it and the press seemed to love it though. It isn't very long (Played through in about four days) or difficult, and most of the combat is just simple button mashing to chain up combos. I honestly can't think of anything else bad to say about it.

The graphics may not be next-generation stuff, but the world looks very well-designed and lived in (uses the same engine as Prince of Persia: Sands of Time). The voice-acting and music is stellar. Plenty of mini-games and lots of stuff to collect. Simple yet fun sneaking sections that balances well into the game. No jumping puzzles (inability to fall off an edge, automatic jumping to other surfaces if you run towards it). A female main character who isn't done for sex appeal marketing. A nice twisty turny plot.

Do give it a try.

</font>

Yes yes yes yes yes! And the sequel was cancelled? Damn them! i want that sequel so bad.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-06-23, 3:38 PM #8
Strife

RPG using the DooM engine. Completely non-linear. Won't say more, because doing so would spoil what surprises lie in this game.

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded

[This message has been edited by Wolfy (edited June 23, 2004).]
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-06-23, 4:58 PM #9
Earth 2150 & Earth 2150: The Moon Project - pretty well-known (if you live in Europe), but to anyone in North America, its the unkown strategy gane. It was one of the first fully-3d strategy games (considering that it came out around the same time as Westwood's Red Alert 2), and there was even a sequal released (Europe only. btw, any European Massassians played the sequal "Earth 2150: Lost Souls"?)

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-06-23, 5:13 PM #10
Warrior Kings - $3

It's like Warcraft 3, but better [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] Seriously, that game PWNS. Also for $1 I got Deadly Dozen. The game isn't that great, but for $1?! You can't go wrong.

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
Think while it's still legal.
2004-06-23, 7:38 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
Warrior Kings - $3

It's like Warcraft 3, but better [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] Seriously, that game PWNS. Also for $1 I got Deadly Dozen. The game isn't that great, but for $1?! You can't go wrong.

</font>

It's very, very, very hard to beat WC3. I may not like it as MUCH as SC, but I'll admit it's a great and engaging game. Well worth the 30 dollar price tag.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-23, 7:40 PM #12
I meant to say Warrior Kings PWNS, but WC3 is good too [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
Think while it's still legal.
2004-06-24, 12:22 PM #13
JK - $0.95 at a garage sale down the street.

------------------
He who passeth in shall passeth out.
2004-06-24, 12:31 PM #14
Hired Team : Trial I *lurve* this game.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-06-24, 12:38 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
Strife

RPG using the DooM engine. Completely non-linear. Won't say more, because doing so would spoil what surprises lie in this game.

</font>

Yes!!
Its is by-far the FPS from its time great single player,but also the multi player was great to!

Its been ages sence I've played it last, but I still remeber most of the places by heart..

man there were soo many hidden rooms in that game, there was atleast 3 in the rebel base
2004-06-24, 4:07 PM #16
Nox

By far one of the best RPGs out there. Good single player (Although odd...) and AMAZINGLY STUNNING MULTIPLAYER.

Holy crap, never would've needed a lot of skill in a game until this. There's always a spell combo to counter another meaning there is no perfect thing to use. Learning the game is simple, mastering is hard. MP is incredibly fast paced and exciting. And for an overhead game it even has camping. Harhar, no more seeing through walls [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] Personal favorite class is the CON. XBows are amazing, espescially in the cabin level where there is a window facing a large clump of Mana stones. Bye bye wizard [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
"My god, it's full of stars!"

"True as toasted toads!"
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-06-24, 4:10 PM #17
Nox is a pretty cool game. Not enough variety, but playing a wizard was *DAMN* fun in SP. Wait... everything was good in SP!
2004-06-24, 4:28 PM #18
Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader are both great.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-06-24, 4:47 PM #19
The 'Dark Prophecy' games, sweet turn-based RPG style fighting, I like it anyways,
and
Gothic , and Gothic II, sweetest games ever, they weren't really budget titles, but more like... kickass games that noones ever heard of really... if you see them in a store, buy them (well Gothic II is easier to find than Gothic I)

------------------
Member of the Minnessassian Council
2004-06-24, 5:19 PM #20
Myth: The Total Codex is the single greatest old skool game ever. Think a 3D game of chess with more strategies, decent graphics, and lots of gore and gibs. Even death plays a role and explosions can deform the terrain, ghouls can pick up and throw bones or flesh at the enemy and more.
2004-06-24, 5:27 PM #21
a neighbor gave me a huge box full of burned games, including SoF and Gothic. (OMG WAREZ).

I've always wondered about gothic, but I want to know what it's like before I put it on my computer. What genre is it?

------------------
"My god, it's full of stars!"

"True as toasted toads!"
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."

↑ Up to the top!