Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What do you call this bug?
What do you call this bug?
2006-06-24, 12:08 PM #1
[http://www.doctorhormone.com/images/fishfly_small.jpg]
We (ie. everyone I've ever met) have always called them June Bugs, or fish flies. However, I recently searched June Bug and it appears to the rest of the world a June Bug is some kind of scarab-like beetle. I also can't find any references to the name fish fly (except that one picture). Is my whole city crazy? What does the rest of the world call these things?
2006-06-24, 12:10 PM #2
Dragon fly?

edit: wait, who are you? O.o
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2006-06-24, 12:11 PM #3
May fly?

That is most definitely not a June Bug :p
D E A T H
2006-06-24, 12:13 PM #4
I have never seen one of those. Kill it before it spreads!
2006-06-24, 12:17 PM #5
I call it food! [/SIZE]
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-06-24, 12:18 PM #6
do i know what it is? nope

should you eat it? yes
2006-06-24, 12:18 PM #7
Originally posted by Overlord:
I have never seen one of those. Kill it before it spreads!

Did someone say kill it?

[http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/783/killitwithfire2mg.jpg]
D E A T H
2006-06-24, 12:20 PM #8
Definitenly *not* a june bug. I would just call that a generic flying insect.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-06-24, 12:26 PM #9
mayfly
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-24, 12:33 PM #10
Most people around here call them mayflies.
2006-06-24, 12:33 PM #11
Mayfly, small cranefly, or most likely blurrybug...
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-06-24, 1:24 PM #12
Mayfly it is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May-Fly

Around here they've very common this time of year, in certain areas they cover entire walls.

Thanks.
2006-06-24, 2:19 PM #13
Yeah - June Bugs are, like you said, tiny little golden beetles. Very cute. Though I thought they were "Dune" Bugs.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2006-06-24, 2:22 PM #14
I found a dead june bug inside the armrest of my car once. No idea how it got there, as it would require the june bug getting trapped in the arm rest, and I'm certain someone would have noticed a june bug in the backseat (as that was where the armrest was).
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-24, 10:32 PM #15
In some parts of Minnesota (and in other parts of the world) the mayflies can get so thick they have to use snowplows to clear the bridges.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2006-06-24, 10:58 PM #16
It's a May Fly.
2006-06-24, 11:13 PM #17
Argh. Those things smash themselves to the front of cars.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-06-25, 8:23 PM #18
Yup, it's a mayfly. Mayflys in their various life cycles and other variations are really popular with trout, they've got to be some of the most popular patterns. For me though, they play second fiddle to the Wolly Bugger.
2006-06-25, 8:44 PM #19
its a mayfly. i'm horribly allergic to thier dead rotting corpses. and i used to live in an area where they would get so bad sometimes that they had to scrape them away with snowplows.

you'd step out your door in the morning and be all like *CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH* it was disgusting.

but yeah, i've also heard them called june-bugs, which apparantly is inappropriate, and i've also heard them called canadian soldiers. something else too, but i cant remember at the moment.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-06-25, 9:28 PM #20
Originally posted by Ford:
its a mayfly. i'm horribly allergic to thier dead rotting corpses. and i used to live in an area where they would get so bad sometimes that they had to scrape them away with snowplows.

you'd step out your door in the morning and be all like *CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH* it was disgusting.

but yeah, i've also heard them called june-bugs, which apparantly is inappropriate, and i've also heard them called canadian soldiers. something else too, but i cant remember at the moment.

At my cabin (we have a lakeshore lot) they always stick to the walls outside. I just usually take a garden hose and wash them off the cabin.

And I've also had to do some of that shovelling. Man, that really sucks. They die in piles, it's sick.
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2006-06-25, 11:17 PM #21
Just think how bad it would be if the adult stage had mouthparts and needed to feed...
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2006-06-26, 3:05 AM #22
Originally posted by Ford:
and i've also heard them called canadian soldiers.

Yeah, I guess that's what they're often called in northeastern Ohio.

Snow plows? That's disgusting. Reminds me of secadas, whose shells end up filling the edges of the street. You drive along with your car and it sounds like popcorn.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-06-26, 3:40 AM #23
cicadas
2006-06-26, 5:02 AM #24
Google failed me! :(
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-06-26, 12:16 PM #25
I had problems with fruit flies.

One time in summer awhile ago, I threw away some old fruit in the garbage. I noticed fruit flies were hanging this certain garbage, so I took it outside. Well outside, the bag broke when I was carrying it and a mass of fluit flies (like a swarm) came out. Nasty bastards.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%

↑ Up to the top!