Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Recovery discs
Recovery discs
2004-06-24, 3:42 AM #1
So I need to uninstall my Linux bootloader and restore XP Home's Master boot record. Should be easy right? Pop in the XP Home disc, get to the Recovery console and type FIXMBR. But, Toshiba only gave me system restore discs which won't let me access XP's setup, so I have to live with my bootloader everytime I start up even though I don't have Linux installed anymore.

It's really stupid how we get "recovery" discs instead of Windows discs, especially since the recovery install comes with sooooo much crap installed already. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif] Anyone else had an experience like this or have a workaround to wipe the MBR?

[Spelling]

------------------
BV's rendition of Titanic: Let's have sex. I won't let go. I don't need this stone.
The End.
~ Wolfy

[This message has been edited by BV (edited June 24, 2004).]
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-06-24, 4:01 AM #2
You could just, you know, stick with Linux... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-24, 4:18 AM #3
Hahaha, I know, I know. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
BV's rendition of Titanic: Let's have sex. I won't let go. I don't need this stone.
The End.
~ Wolfy
2004-06-24, 5:41 AM #4
If I used a friend's XP Pro disc would it restore the MBR properly? (I'm running Home)

------------------
The End.
~ Wolfy
2004-06-24, 7:15 AM #5
Welcome to my world. Bet you're wishing you hadn't bought that brand-nme computer, now, aren't you?

get a copy of corporate.

since OEM manufacturers don't give you what you need to fix your comp, you must take matters into your own hands.

Restore discs are utter rubish, mine didn't even work.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 24, 2004).]
2004-06-24, 7:31 AM #6
Well, I *did* get this laptop for free, so it's not so bad. I tried using my friend's XP Pro disc to start the Recovery Console thingy, but it wouldn't let me do anything without an Administrator password (which of course, doesn't exist.)

------------------
The End.
~ Wolfy
2004-06-24, 9:39 AM #7
Ahaha, I finally did it. All it took was a registry hack, editing boot.ini, and me losing all respect for Microsoft.

------------------
The End.
~ Wolfy
2004-06-24, 11:18 AM #8
I really enjoyed wiping the Harddrives of the yearbook computers this year. Stupid Compaq boxes running XP Pro. You started the restore discs up, and it literally took THREE HOURS just to do one. I spent 4 days on 4 computers becuase I could only stand to do one at a time.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-24, 1:40 PM #9
Get the windows 98 se boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/

Boot to a command prompt and type "fdisk /mbr" without the quotes.

Profit.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-06-24, 4:05 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NoESC:
Get the windows 98 se boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/

Boot to a command prompt and type "fdisk /mbr" without the quotes.

Profit.

</font>

Wise words from the ESC key.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-06-24, 4:12 PM #11
ESC, that wont work for BV -- XP's bootloader is in a differnt spot than 98's.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-24, 4:16 PM #12
Plus I don't have a floppy drive.

------------------
The End.
~ Wolfy
2004-06-24, 7:16 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BV:
Plus I don't have a floppy drive.

</font>

why not? Those are standard on virtually any pc that i've ever seen.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-06-24, 9:18 PM #14
USB memory sticks and laptops go very well together. Don't need a floopy drive

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-06-24, 9:49 PM #15
when windows breaks (it's inevitable, face it) how are you going to boot without a floppy drive? Dos does not (and probably will never have) USB support.

------------------
2004-06-24, 11:25 PM #16
CD booting, Page. You just set it up in the BIOS to read from the CD before looking at the HDD for boot records, and WHAM. Job done.

------------------
[ Massassiism ] [ Cynicism ] [ Fanaticism ]
Sell your soul for a cookie?
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.

↑ Up to the top!