Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → GMail.. a theory.
GMail.. a theory.
2004-06-23, 11:52 AM #1
GMail seems to be issuing hundreds and hundreds of invitations. Eventually anyone who wants an account will be able to get one from an invitation from one of their friends. I was wondering if by not making GMail "Public" google can somehow bypass some of the privacy laws. It seems that there is some other motive than testing to give this many accounts.

Discuss.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-06-23, 12:17 PM #2
It's also giving them tons of publicity.

------------------
MadQuack has a signature.
I'm just a little boy.
2004-06-23, 12:30 PM #3
What the heck is Gmail? I haven't cared enough to go find out for myself... but since its all over these forums now, what is it?

------------------
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-06-23, 12:33 PM #4
Clearly they are close to the end of testing. And look how many people are already using GMail thanks to invites. Already people are seeing the ads, and it isn't even completely open yet!
2004-06-23, 12:33 PM #5
This type of system worked nicely for Orkut and Friendster and Livejournal (who seem to have removed this system it seems?) because those services are really aimed at a community network of friends and people that have no friends are probably not likely to use the system the way it was intended.
Gmail is an e-mail service, and there are plenty of people who won't have friends on the internet or friends with Gmail accounts that want to use a Gmail account legitimately, like the blokey that just bought a computer and modem and signed on to google for the first time.

It works great for now, especially with people selling sex for invites, but I don't think it's sensible for public release.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-06-23, 12:34 PM #6
It's google's web-based email service. It rocks. 'Nuff said.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-06-23, 12:56 PM #7
Maybe Gmail uses a selected amount of people to "see" what type of users may be using this email service. Then, by examining what type of emails this group of people sent/receive and how they use the service, Google is able to give information about certain people (like their email address and internet habits) to other companies for a profit (and/or to show if the ad companies are making an impact with their ad campaigns). Ad companies love to get their hands on a list of email address and other info for future customers.

Maybe, for examble, GBK says in his email, "I love Microsoft. I need more of their products NOW!" Gmail could scan through his emails and find words or phrases like Microsoft. Google then could put his email address on a list of Microsoft "future customers" and ships it to the company for a profit. By using an invitation system, Google can use a smaller range of internet users to find what products or ads the public might want.

A theory I guess. :/

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-06-23, 2:37 PM #8
Well basically it is a really good test for their servers, especially load wise. It eases them into the userbase, without jumping in. Plus the factor that the invites increases exponentially means that their server load will always increase, until they are sure it will be fine.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-06-23, 8:59 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
Maybe Gmail uses a selected amount of people to "see" what type of users may be using this email service. Then, by examining what type of emails this group of people sent/receive and how they use the service, Google is able to give information about certain people (like their email address and internet habits) to other companies for a profit (and/or to show if the ad companies are making an impact with their ad campaigns). Ad companies love to get their hands on a list of email address and other info for future customers.

Maybe, for examble, GBK says in his email, "I love Microsoft. I need more of their products NOW!" Gmail could scan through his emails and find words or phrases like Microsoft. Google then could put his email address on a list of Microsoft "future customers" and ships it to the company for a profit. By using an invitation system, Google can use a smaller range of internet users to find what products or ads the public might want.

A theory I guess. :/

</font>

I think they've specifically said that they don't sell e-mail addresses to companies.
The way the system works is more like.. if you recieve an e-mail from GBK saying "I love Microsoft!" then the banner in your inbox will display an ad for something Microsoft. I don't think Microsoft themselves have anything to do with either your or GBK's e-mail addresses, but they do send a list of keywords and related stuffs to Google.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2004-06-23, 9:01 PM #10
More the email services I have the better.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-06-23, 9:15 PM #11
i just hope by the time i get some invites to give out they are still worth something to enough ebay users to actually get more people looking at and bidding on the 2 saturn games i am trying to sell

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-06-24, 1:41 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
I think they've specifically said that they don't sell e-mail addresses to companies.
</font>

They said that? Hmm. I guess my theory is out (I think).

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-06-24, 2:00 AM #13
Well, it's not really a thing specific to Gmail. I mean, Hotmail or Yahoo could be selling out e-mail addresses just as easily.

The big 'controvesy' is that Gmail don't delete e-mails from their servers (allegedly).
2004-06-24, 2:23 AM #14
Well, since tons of people are gonna use it when it's public, and they need to test it for massage storage, it makes sense that the beta has LOTS of people in it...
2004-06-24, 6:03 AM #15
Quote:
Well, it's not really a thing specific to Gmail. I mean, Hotmail or Yahoo could be selling out e-mail addresses just as easily.

The big 'controvesy' is that Gmail don't delete e-mails from their servers (allegedly).
</font>

You can delete messages with Gmail. I've deleted 3 already.

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-06-24, 6:09 AM #16
I think maybe they stay on the server forever, probably as part of the advertising. The advertising by the way, is supposed to show only relevant text advertisements. If it was done right, it could actually be useful.

It doesn't matter if Google keeps every e-mail in their servers (you'd think they would prune eventually), as long as you aren't doing anything incredibly secure. If you're an everyday user, GMail is great. If you're a terrorist trying to have a secure convo with somone across the world, go somewhere else.

Oh, and does GMail support IMAP or POP3 for external clients? If so, I would be interested in using it. If not, then I'll stick with fastmail.fm.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-06-24, 6:58 AM #17
I think they've said that they don't support POP3 & IMAP at the moment, but are going to.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-06-24, 7:03 AM #18
I want to see the kinds of ads you get if you start organising terrorist activities over GMail [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-06-24, 7:07 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
Oh, and does GMail support IMAP or POP3 for external clients? If so, I would be interested in using it. If not, then I'll stick with fastmail.fm.

</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">From the Gmail help section:

Does Gmail support automatic forwarding and POP3 access?

Not at the moment, but Google believes in helping people access information whenever and however they want to do so. In the future you will be able to access Gmail messages from non-Gmail accounts for free or at a nominal fee.</font>

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-06-24, 7:19 AM #20
Sweet, it would be worth getting then.

------------------
2004-06-24, 9:02 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
I want to see the kinds of ads you get if you start organising terrorist activities over GMail [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]</font>

AK-47's

Special price in Russia--buy an AK-47, get the next half-off!

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited June 24, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-06-24, 10:23 AM #22
I was told that 'dodgy' subjects would return no adverts at all.

So you can guess what I'll be having in my signature.
2004-06-24, 11:11 AM #23
If a tree falls in the forest and noone is around to hear it... does it make a sound?

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-06-24, 2:09 PM #24
If a sound is defined as perception of sound waves, then no.

------------------
2004-06-24, 2:11 PM #25
but if you use the definition "vibrations through the air" then yes, it does make a sound.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-06-24, 2:25 PM #26
sound
n.

1. Vibrations transmitted through an elastic solid or a liquid or gas, with frequencies in the approximate range of 20 to 20,000 hertz, capable of being detected by human organs of hearing.
2. Transmitted vibrations of any frequency.
3. The sensation stimulated in the organs of hearing by such vibrations in the air or other medium.
4. Such sensations considered as a group.

(from dictionary.com)

Well, if you take definitions #1 and #2, then yes, the tree makes a sound. However, with #3 and #4, it doesn't make a sound.

I do believe the more pertinent question is "If a man is in a forest and says something, and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?"

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-06-24, 3:33 PM #27
GMail must be doing something right since Hotmail and Yahoo put GMail invitations into the junk folder (I don't know what Yahoo calls its spam folder thingy).

------------------
[="Mothers stop cooking take off your aprons; Fathers stop looking at every sports station; Take a second, and think of every poor nation." - Nas=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-06-24, 3:38 PM #28
I have Opera, and the "Text Ads" are google searches on the theme of the website...

Right now, one of them is: "Star Wars Jedi Knight" Shop for Computer Games! Find, Compare, and Buy!

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-06-24, 4:00 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trigger Happy Chewie:
I have Opera, and the "Text Ads" are google searches on the theme of the website...

Right now, one of them is: "Star Wars Jedi Knight" Shop for Computer Games! Find, Compare, and Buy!

</font>

Well, Opera isn't really supported by GMail yet. It may be because it sucks, but I dunno.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-06-25, 5:31 AM #30
It is hard to gauge how many people use Opera because it can identify as any other browser, so it would bump up the stats of some other browser (usually IE), so it appears that very few people use it.
2004-06-25, 5:37 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:

</font>

not directly

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-06-25, 5:38 AM #32
Quote:
It is hard to gauge how many people use Opera because it can identify as any other browser, so it would bump up the stats of some other browser (usually IE), so it appears that very few people use it.</font>

Mozilla/Firefox can also spoof its useragent, ad can Konqueror. For the longest time, my useragent was "GBK was here. :)"...

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-25, 6:31 AM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Mozilla/Firefox can also spoof its useragent, ad can Konqueror. For the longest time, my useragent was "GBK was here. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]"...

</font>

I could just imagine in the usage statistics

IE - 60%
Firefox - 30%
Opera - 9.9999%
GBK was here [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] - .0001%

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!