Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Superman Returns
Superman Returns
2006-06-27, 10:11 PM #1
I just got back from the 10:00pm showing of Superman (It's 1:10 a.m. now). It was a lot better than I expected it to be. Overall a really good movie. The only downside is it's really long and the ending is kind of dragged out. The cast was perfect all around and the story was interesting. Even though there wasn't a BUNCH of action, the action that was there was good. In between the action bits there was enough humor to keep people busy. You should all see it. Worth the ticket price.

[P.S. Also, I wore my Superman shirt to the theater...but by accident. It was one of my only clean shirts, and I just happened to put it on. I didn't even notice until I bought my tickets that I had the shirt on. Then again, about 60% of the people in the theater had Superman shirts on, so I didn't feel so bad. One kid had the entire costume.]

[P.S.S. I also found it really funny that when the movie ended, I was leaving the theater and I saw a huge black dude with an O'Neal jersey on. If you know anything about Shaq, you know why that's so funny.]
Think while it's still legal.
2006-06-27, 10:14 PM #2
I get. :P

Shaq's also done some spots for Superman Returns too.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-27, 10:16 PM #3
Perhaps this shall appear on my list of films to view throughout my summer.

That was a sucky attempt at some fantasy talk, but only because Final_Hope__ is doing it to me on MSN!
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-28, 4:02 AM #4
I really enjoyed the movie, and really liked how the elements of the original movie were integrated into this one.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2006-06-28, 7:20 AM #5
isnt marlon brando in it with scenes originally filmed for superman 2?
2006-06-28, 12:43 PM #6
Well, while I haven't seen it, I know dialogue from Superman II that was unused is in the film. They made a CGI Brando and synced him up with the dialogue.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-06-28, 1:07 PM #7
There was quite a bit of his dialogue from the first superman as well. I watched the first 20 or so minutes of the original before I went, and the lines were the same.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
2006-06-28, 3:52 PM #8
How they put Marlon Brando in Superman Returns

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23646

Very cool
Flying over there some were...
2006-06-28, 4:56 PM #9
Really? I heard from other people that it's a mediocre film.
2006-06-28, 6:42 PM #10
Originally posted by Anakin-Paul:

Very cool
sweet...
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-07-01, 1:15 PM #11
I came in the movie with low expectations (because of reviews I read) so the movie actually turned out better than I thought. I feel pretty much the same way Victor does in regards to the movie.
2006-07-01, 1:19 PM #12
I liked it. I'd give it an 8-8.5/10
2006-07-01, 1:23 PM #13
Best movie I've seen this year. I can honestly say it was the first time in a long time I've had fun watching a movie.
2006-07-01, 7:40 PM #14
It was a fun movie. The acting was very good. I think Kevin Spacey made half the movie for me. He was just great.

I spent a lot of the first half really confused, though. Which movie was this following? And why did no one tell me? Isn't there more than one previous Superman movie?
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-07-01, 7:48 PM #15
From what I understand, this is supposed to be a sequal to superman 2.
2006-07-01, 11:17 PM #16
am I the only person who thought it kinda sucked?

I mean... super... boy ?
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-07-01, 11:35 PM #17
Spacey's role SUCKEEDDDDD. I love Kevin Spacey in various other films, but his dialogue was so lame. It actually had nothing to do with his acting skill, they just had him spew stupid one liners and dumb three word sentences the entire film, with bad attempts at dramatic pausing and "subtle" sarcasm.... ughhhhh, it was irritating!

"...wait for it..."
"that... wasn't... you"
"i... don't... think so...."

I thought overall the movie was fine, though, quite fun to watch, albeit a bit long. Worth admission price fo sho i'd say.
2006-07-02, 1:06 AM #18
Originally posted by saberopus:
Spacey's role SUCKEEDDDDD. I love Kevin Spacey in various other films, but his dialogue was so lame. It actually had nothing to do with his acting skill, they just had him spew stupid one liners and dumb three word sentences the entire film, with bad attempts at dramatic pausing and "subtle" sarcasm.... ughhhhh, it was irritating!

"...wait for it..."
"that... wasn't... you"
"i... don't... think so...."

I thought overall the movie was fine, though, quite fun to watch, albeit a bit long. Worth admission price fo sho i'd say.

You need to familiarize yourself with Lex Luthor.
2006-07-02, 2:24 AM #19
Originally posted by Veger:
am I the only person who thought it kinda sucked?

You're not alone. I thought it was a very boring film. There was like two good moments in the film, the one with the dog (note the lack of plural) and the bit that was in the preview

Lex "Come on, say the thing"
Lois "You're insane"
Lex "No... the other thing"
Lois "Superman will.."
Lex "WRONG!!"

Haha... I just noticed that Lex Luther and Lois Lane share the same initials. (My quote was originally going to be LL "blah blah).
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-07-02, 8:39 PM #20
It really sucks that Chris Reeve died. Another sequal with him would have been the best.

Since this is a sequal taking place after the 2nd, why didnt they just bring in ALL the old actors. All of them are still alive, except superman.

Gene Hackman did SUCH a better job that Kevin Spacey. He, as well as all the original actors, didnt make it seem so serious and gave the movie a lighthearted, humorous mood.
2006-07-02, 9:32 PM #21
That would have worked raly well, everyone being 20 years older than they were when they were making the originals.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-02, 9:48 PM #22
We'll doesnt the story take place 20 years afterwards anyways??
2006-07-02, 11:10 PM #23
[QUOTE=Unknown User]We'll doesnt the story take place 20 years afterwards anyways??[/QUOTE]

Doubtful, I'm guessing 5 tops.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-07-02, 11:43 PM #24
Im pretty sure it even said he'd be gone for 5 years durin the movie.
2006-07-03, 12:06 AM #25
"You've been gone for 5 years?

ROTLFMAO i moved on....to WoW"

-Lois Lane
2006-07-03, 12:13 AM #26
Originally posted by Anovis:
"You've been gone for 5 years?

ROTLFMAO i moved on....to *WoW "

-Lois Lane

:v: :P

*Massassi
2006-07-03, 12:14 AM #27
I still think they could have pulled it off. Makeup can do amazing things these days. And I think Gene hackman looks only a little bit older than he did in part IV. B/C he was pretty old to begin with
2006-07-03, 5:26 AM #28
I liked the casting, except for Kate Bosworth who is just an unmemorable nothing.

The whole alter-ego thing is something you really have to just go along with in the realm of superheroes, but Clark Kent and the Daily Planet staff really irritated me in Superman Returns. Clark has been away for 5 years, Superman returns after a 5 year absence, Superman is in hospital for however long at the end of the movie, Clark is nowhere to be seen... Plus the whole looking identical except for glasses and a hair part - the Daily Planet staffers really are a bunch of gullible non-attentive simpletons.

Entertaining movie, though, if not a little long. Some of the best CGI I've seen for a while.

Oh, and I quote:
Brodie: It's impossible, Lois could never have Superman's baby. Do you think her fallopian tubes could handle the sperm? I guarantee you he blows a load like a shotgun right through her back. What about her womb? Do you think it's strong enough to carry his child?

T.S: Sure, why not?

Brodie: He's an alien, for Christ's sake. His Kryptonian biological makeup is enhanced by Earth's yellow sun. If Lois gets a tan the kid could kick right through her stomach. Only someone like Wonder Woman has a strong enough uterus to carry his kid. The only way he could bang regular chicks is with a kryptonite condom, but that would kill him.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-07-03, 6:07 AM #29
Right now, I'm placing this movie as one my favorites of the year. Only V I think was better, but not by much. Superman is an inherently boring hero, yet Singer managed to dive deeper into the character than the previous movies I think, much like Batman Begins did last year for Batsy. Here was a movie that didn't necessarily have a lot of action, but still held my attention, which is saying something for a summer blockbuster. There was an emotional core holding everything together, the hospital scene was really touching, as well as certain scenes with Lex and Supes.

The acting was top notch, as was the dialogue. Unlike Batman, which had Katie Holmes and one or too cirnge-worthy lines, Superman was 100% consistant. Spacey took Hackman's Luthor, who I thought was a little too comical, and added that homicidal edge. I though Bosworth was just fine as Lois, like I said she played a much better opposite to Superman than Holmes did in Batman. Routh was great, I found his Clark so damn funny. Those looks of pure naivety were pure gold. And last but not least, the kid was probably one of the best acting performances from a child I've seen in a while. Singer didn't give him a lot of lines, so the kid didn't have to really "act." Usually, that's a recipe for succes.

I've read the complaints from everybody else, and I think they are valid points. However, waht peopple have complained about made the movie strong in my opinion. For example, the movie goes on for a while after the climax, much like another summer blockbuster this movie The DaVInci Code. However, I felt that Returns needed this ending, that it was natural, and again it was quite touching, even though in terms of plot that should have been The DaVinci Code.

I've never been a big Superman fan, I haven't seen the first two all the way through yet. However, Superman Returns has changed that a bit. I easily place this over the X-Mens and Spiderman films. I can't freakin wait for the sequels to this and Batman.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2006-07-03, 10:31 AM #30
Originally posted by Spork:
The whole alter-ego thing is something you really have to just go along with in the realm of superheroes, but Clark Kent and the Daily Planet staff really irritated me in Superman Returns. Clark has been away for 5 years, Superman returns after a 5 year absence, Superman is in hospital for however long at the end of the movie, Clark is nowhere to be seen... Plus the whole looking identical except for glasses and a hair part - the Daily Planet staffers really are a bunch of gullible non-attentive simpletons.

Of course it's blindingly obvious but that's what makes it so funny.
2006-07-03, 5:40 PM #31
Originally posted by Spork:

An excerpt from wikipedia.
Quote:
Modern comic book stories show that to everyone, Superman is the greatest hero in the world and a larger-than-life figure, and no one thinks to look for him living as a normal human. Furthermore, since Superman goes into public unmasked, most people assume that he has no other identity. Even Batman commended him on his disguise. As long as he does not let on that he has another life, there is no real reason to look for a secret identity. When first confronted by evidence that Clark Kent is Superman, Lex Luthor dismisses it, saying, "No one with the power of Superman would be living as a normal man".

A quote from HunterD at GameFAQs forums.
Quote:
Let me put it this way.

Let's say it's real late and you need something and you go to your local Wal-Mart or some other retail chain.

Now as you are checking out you notice the guy checking you out looks alot like Brad Pitt.
Would it really cross your mind that Brad Pitt has decided to work in the local Wal-Mart?

Hell if Brad Pitt was filming a movie in your town that week you'd probably still just go "You know, you look sorta like Brad Pitt" at the most.

Because you just can't picture Brad Pitt wanting to live a normal life as a cashier at Wal-Mart can you?

Now why on earth would SUPERMAN weant to be a normal person, much less a reporter for a newspaper?

It defies logic, it's not the way we envision them acting.

The reason no one realizes Clark Kent is Superman, because no one thinks Superman would ever want to be a normal person.
2006-07-03, 7:05 PM #32
Originally posted by Anakin-Paul:

Very cool

thats freaking awesome
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-07-03, 7:29 PM #33
SUperman?

Bah, lamer.

Ooo000ooo he's wearing skin tight lycra lets all cream ourselves!
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-07-03, 8:09 PM #34
I thought the movie could have been better. The main thing I liked about the movie was Brandon Routh...he was beautiful. o_O
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-07-03, 8:11 PM #35
I rest my case. :rolleyes:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-07-03, 8:14 PM #36
But...he was. >_>
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-07-03, 8:22 PM #37
saw it today with my bro for my 16th bday.

really good movie, i enjoyed it a lot.
Matt
2006-07-03, 9:02 PM #38
I still think

I > III > II > IV > Returns
2006-07-03, 9:57 PM #39
I haven't seen any of them, but from what I've read Superman 3 and 4 were supposed to be "so bad they're funny" type movies.

I think I've seen Superman 2...it was the one where he puts the roof back on the white house. I figure anything's got to be better than that.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-07-03, 10:35 PM #40
People dislike Superman 2? That movie is incredible.

↑ Up to the top!