Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → yet another "is this real?!?!11" debate
yet another "is this real?!?!11" debate
2006-06-29, 9:46 PM #1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OQWxIrSRDQQ

thoughts?

it seems pretty well done if it is fake
一个大西瓜
2006-06-29, 9:49 PM #2
I've heard of stuff like this, but I'm not quite certain that particular clip is real.

Although that section of coral isn't moving...may be real.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-29, 9:54 PM #3
I've seen it before
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-06-29, 9:56 PM #4
I'll go with real. Why not?
2006-06-29, 9:57 PM #5
Looks like it's a tranlucency thing.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-29, 10:04 PM #6
I have cable but YouTube is always so slow. Anyone else gets slowness?

Anyway, it looks like it is really good camouflage. The blurriness and size of the video doesn't help.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-06-29, 10:13 PM #7
Huh? Is it just me or is there nothing to debate about? Camouflage thing - real. Video - real. Discovery channel is your friend.
2006-06-29, 10:50 PM #8
Seconded, CavEmaN. Just cos we can't do that, doesn't mean it's not possible.

If you really wanna blow your mind, check out Blue Planet. There's one episode in particular that focuses on deep sea bioluminescence. Really quite incredible.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2006-06-29, 11:47 PM #9
Dude that is forking awesome.

We need to get it's DNA now, find it's secrets, and use it to biogenetically create invisibility belts! ;)
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-06-29, 11:52 PM #10
What if there was a type of badger that could do that. . . :eek:
My blawgh.
2006-06-30, 5:53 AM #11
Very real!! I've got that and a bunch of other similar stuff on a video I used to show in class about octopi. That clip, however, is the most amazing of the lot.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-06-30, 6:24 AM #12
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
Dude that is forking awesome.

We need to get it's DNA now, find it's secrets, and use it to biogenetically create invisibility belts! ;)

It would kinda suck if you lost your belt.
nope.
2006-06-30, 11:31 AM #13
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
Very real!! I've got that and a bunch of other similar stuff on a video I used to show in class about octopi. That clip, however, is the most amazing of the lot.

Show in class? You teach marine biology? :confused:
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-06-30, 12:05 PM #14
he's a middle school teacher I think
一个大西瓜
2006-06-30, 12:17 PM #15
Watching it forward, I was thinking 'there's no way that's real'. But then when I watched it backwards, I thought 'oh, yeah, that makes more sense now' :P

This is an interesting read on the subject.
2006-06-30, 12:38 PM #16
Damn, it never occured to me that people wouldn't know octopuses could change their skin to blend in.

If you think that's amazing you should sea what kind of tight spots an octopus can squeeze into.
2006-06-30, 1:02 PM #17
The issue isn't whether or not the octopus can do that .. it's a fact that octopi can do that. The issue is whether or not this particular video is real or not because of the way the octopus appeared that made it seem like it was one of those crossfade effects (i.e. the "appearance" seems to be flat across the plane of the screen rather than along the rock)
一个大西瓜
2006-06-30, 2:30 PM #18
I teach biology, physical science (basic physics and chemistry), and Earth Science - all part of the junior high program.

Anyway, it's not a fade in. In the video I've got, one of them swims from place to place changing color and texture at each spot. But like I said, that one is the most dramatic.

Like someone mentioned earlier, the discovery channel is your friend...
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-06-30, 3:22 PM #19
The Allosauri in Lost World could do that, if I remember correctly. Been a while since I read it.

-Why did they put super-octo-chameleon genes in a vicious carnivorous dinosaur? Well, if you're gonna play god, might as well go all out.
2006-06-30, 4:55 PM #20
The mimic octopus takes the camouflage further and contorts itself into strange shapes and alters its colours to imitate other species.
Link! In the first two vids it's definitely imitating a flatfish and in the last one it looks like it's trying to a do a sea snake.
2006-06-30, 4:57 PM #21
It's real. My mom worked with octopi they can change both color and shape. And they are also incredibly smart.
2006-06-30, 5:02 PM #22
It was the Carnosauri.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-06-30, 5:37 PM #23
if you look at it's head type of thing, when it "fades" the head seems to grow a whole bunch of little protrusion. Makes it look kind of fake, but I don't know why anyone would bother to fake something like that
2006-06-30, 6:52 PM #24
i say it's real... those things can do amazing things.. and they can change the texture of their skin.. making protrusions and such
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-07-02, 10:28 PM #25
its real...

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/octopus/chameleons.html

for instance just look at the picture on this page where it says Sea Chameleons on the side. They seem to blend in reallyyyy well to things
2006-07-02, 10:45 PM #26
Neat
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-07-03, 2:13 PM #27
Octopuss can make themselves into seaweed and you CANNOT tell what part of the seaweed is octopuss until it inks you in the face and takes off. I watched a show on it last night, I was like OMG no way.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-07-03, 2:14 PM #28
The show I watched also had cuttlefish that were trained to display an X on its skin for food.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-07-04, 5:33 PM #29
damnit, i wanted to post that. but yeah, cephlapods are very inteligent, and can not only change the color of their skin, but also the texture of it. heck, some squids can even make themselves transparent.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2006-07-05, 3:53 AM #30
We're polluting the seas, where these wondrous beings live. :( isn't that sad? :(
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2006-07-05, 5:51 AM #31
Originally posted by Echoman:
I have cable but YouTube is always so slow. Anyone else gets slowness?

Anyway, it looks like it is really good camouflage. The blurriness and size of the video doesn't help.

Your internet provider probally throttles bandwidth to youtube. You probally have similar problems with BitTorrent and Google Video, correct?

It's the legaly-est thing they can do to get their anti net-neutrality ways.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-07-05, 7:14 AM #32
Originally posted by Uberslug:
It's real. My mom worked with octopi they can change both color and shape.

Kind of like your mom's octopussy.... :ninja:

sorry, couldn't resist
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-07-05, 7:33 AM #33
Dear god. My mind, my poor mind. It just melted.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless

↑ Up to the top!