Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Best/worst/etc. voice?
Best/worst/etc. voice?
2006-07-02, 1:36 PM #1
You know how it is when you listen to your own voice and you think "ugh, I hate the sound of my voice" and yet nobody else seems to really mind? Well, that got me thinking -- with most people, we probably don't think much about their voice, but there are occassionally those who, when we hear them, we think "damn, that's a sexy voice" or "ugh, I wonder if they realize how bad their voice sounds" or just "huh, that's the most unique voice I've ever heard."

1) Who all do you think has a really good voice? Is it just when they talk, or when they sing, or both?

2) Who all can't you stand to listen to purely because of how their voice sounds?

3) Who all do you think has a really unique voice, not necessarily good or bad, but that you could never forget?

I'm also interested in your reasons WHY and what about someone's voice you think makes them sound good or bad or whatever.

I'll be sure to post my opinions later, but I'm really interested in as many other people's opinions as I can. I'd also appreciate it if we could get opinions of BOTH guys' and girls' voices. Thanks!
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-07-02, 1:52 PM #2
1) Hmm...not really sure.

2) People who have REALLY high pitched ones. People with said voices include once a coworker and annoying blond plastic girls.

3) Ian McDiarmid's normal-sounding voice to low-pitched sith lord voice...in the same sentence.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-07-02, 1:56 PM #3
1) This one always gets me, I've heard so great voices so many times yet I don't remember them for threads like this. I would of course say Icarus from Deus Ex, but that voice is modified so blah.

2) Children and most of Finnish males under 30, and those who just speak unclearly (like me).

3) JC Denton in Deus Ex. Nearly always after many hours of DX playing I start imagining everything I read said by him with the neat monotonic voice. Not that great, but most of the people in real life don't have great voices either.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-07-02, 1:56 PM #4
1. Ross Noble, just for the amazingness of his accent. So every geordie in the country really.

2. Chris Martin. :mad:

3. Louis Armstrong, Suggs.
nope.
2006-07-02, 2:06 PM #5
The lead singer of Slipknot. I dont know just something sexy about his voice. But that's prob. just because he does the whole "whipering" thing sometimes in songs. I just think it's hot to hear a guy whisper. Dont ask why, I seriously have no clue, but it's always been hot
2006-07-02, 2:10 PM #6
1. Peter Lorre. I don't know why, its fun to listen to. I never heard him sing though.

2. Hayden Christensen. Young people who can't get the right pitch.

3. Marlon Brando. He has a good range of voices it seems.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-07-02, 2:22 PM #7
1) Goodness, do you want a list? I know so many people with fantastic voices, both singing and speaking. If you're talking about famous people... well I still couldn't really answer. Norbert Leo Butts and Matthew Morrison?

2) well when someone's getting on my nerves, the sound of thier voice really gets on my nerves. And people who are overly loud can sometimes get annoying.

3) Patrick Dempsey
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2006-07-02, 2:23 PM #8
1. Jay Clifford from Jump, Little Children. He had a funny South Carolina accent too.

2. Old people with lisps, especially those in Congress. I was listening to a political podcast the other day and it had this excerpt from a Congressional speech given by some northeastern democrat and his voice was so horrendous and he was an elected official with a lisp. Now, I don't mind gay lisps, but when you're not gay and you have a lisp you just sound retarded. Just turn gay.

3. My own voice.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-07-02, 2:36 PM #9
(prepare for a lot of Brits)

1) For good voices, Brian Blessed, Rupert Everrett, Johnny Depp, Julie Andrews, John Rys-Davies, Patrick Stewart, Pierce Brosnan, Sydney Poitier, Denzel Washington,

2) For the most irritating voices - almost every single teen/child star that is currently on the Disney channel.

3) For unique voices, Richard Briers, Arnie (but he has an Austrian accent), John Ratzenberger (haha, especially him), Christian Bale (but then, his voice is differnt in almost every movie due to his incredible knack for accents), Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, Sean Connery,
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-07-02, 2:40 PM #10
Sung: Freddie Mercury

Spoken: Patrick Stewart.

HATE: Mine.
2006-07-02, 2:44 PM #11
1. I like generally like deeper voices...accents help too. High pitched voices hurt my ears. For singers, I really like Josh Groban and Norah Jones' voices. Both are kind of soothing too....I just don't like voices that hurt my ears.

2. It may sound mean, but my roommate. She has no volume control and a very high pitched voice. My ears feel like their bleeding after a conversation with her.

3. Not sure...

Schming: I have a lisp. Should I be gay? :(
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-07-02, 2:46 PM #12
Originally posted by quesadilla_red:

Schming: I have a lisp. Should I be gay? :(

It depends. Is it an annoying lisp (like Lewis Black with a mouth full of Wheetabix) or a normal one? I was only really talking about the annoying ones.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-07-02, 2:49 PM #13
Originally posted by Martyn:
HATE: Mine.

I'm with Martyn, I hate my voice.
nope.
2006-07-02, 2:50 PM #14
Originally posted by Schming:
It depends. Is it an annoying lisp (like Lewis Black with a mouth full of Wheetabix) or a normal one? I was only really talking about the annoying ones.

I think it's normal. People make fun of me for not being able to say some words. It amuses me. :)
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-07-02, 2:57 PM #15
George Clinton has an awesome voice
2006-07-02, 3:13 PM #16
1) Andrew Eldritch. The guy has a very wide range of notes he can hit flawlessly, but there's such a typical texture to his voice that makes it so damn unique.

2) Ville Valo - whine whine whine.

3) Bert Visser - A Dutch stand-up comedian. He's got a weird accent, and a slightly high-pitched, yet monotone voice. It's just.. crazy. Definitely improves his show.
2006-07-02, 3:21 PM #17
I can not stand the creator of the sims and spore's voice. GAH! It boils me. It's so slight, too.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-02, 3:22 PM #18
Edith Piaf. WIN.
幻術
2006-07-02, 3:32 PM #19
1.) Matthew Bellamy of Muse, hands down. The other notable vocalist is Arthur Yoria.

2.) Any annoying high pitched teenage or young 20 something year old girl that is too spoiled for her own good. Also, not so much a voice thing, but more of a speech thing, people that use "like" as every other word.

3.) Tough to say. I know Ben Stein's voice anywhere because of his trademark monotone drawl. I'm sure there are other voices that I would recognize if I heard them, but Ben Stein is the one that comes to mind.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-07-02, 3:36 PM #20
Brian Blessed FLATTENS the opposition!

[http://www.waveney.demon.co.uk/Convention/Visions95/brian.jpeg]
2006-07-02, 3:44 PM #21
Originally posted by sugarless5:
1) Goodness, do you want a list?

Yes :) I prefer it if they're famous only because I could theoretically ook them up and hear their voices for myself. With that said, it'd also be awesome if people could attach sound clips of the voices they like/dislike/whatever :D
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-07-02, 3:51 PM #22
Christopher Lee has an amazing voice. Just because he sounds so epic.

I don't particularly hate any voices, but one Finnish male singer is such that I always changed the radio channel if any song by him happened to be aired. Useless to mention the name here; nobody outside of Finland has fortunately heard of him.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-07-02, 3:54 PM #23
1) Steven Jay Blum. One of my favorite voice actor for anime dubs. You might had heard his voice from Cowboy Bebop as Spike Spiegel and from Big O as Roger Smith.

2) Arg. If you ever watch a lot of Anime english dubs, you would know that there are too many to list. There's a reason why most anime junkies prefer subs over dubs.

3) Gilbert Gottfried. Man that guy has a strange yet funny voice! If you don't know him as a comedian, you probably heard his voice from Disney's Aladdin as Iago the parret.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-07-02, 3:57 PM #24
Originally posted by SavageX378:
3) Gilbert Gottfried. Man that guy has a strange yet funny voice! If you don't know him as a comedian, you probably heard his voice from Disney's Aladdin as Iago the parret.

Ohhh, that is a cool voice! :D

And how could I forget Christopher Lee? The guy is incredible. Plus I've heard he has been in more movies than anyone else in history, admittedly most of them B Horrors! :P
2006-07-02, 4:16 PM #25
Like: Patrick Stewart, Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica, girl voices that are neither too high or too low
Dislike: James Blunt, any excessively british accents typically found in indie music
Unique: No idea
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-07-02, 4:21 PM #26
Originally posted by Gebohq:
Yes :) I prefer it if they're famous only because I could theoretically ook them up and hear their voices for myself. With that said, it'd also be awesome if people could attach sound clips of the voices they like/dislike/whatever :D

lol well I don't know. I could easily name off people I know who have great voices, both singing and talking, but it's harder for me to name famous people. Broadway people: Norbert Leo Butts, Adam Pascal and Matt Morrison, and all of Exit 245, who you can look up on myspace music if you wish. Basically, baritones almost always have great voices to listen to, and anything lower than that. Tenors can have really hot singing voices somtimes (see Exit 245) but their speaking voices aren't usually as good.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2006-07-02, 4:30 PM #27
1) Fabio of Rhapsody. Such a beutiful voice.

2) The singers in Machinae Supremacy

3) Unique? I'll never, ever, forget Daedalus and Icarus from Deus Ex. Chilling.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-07-02, 4:39 PM #28
sugarless, if you like deep vocals, check out Sabaton.

mmm immensely melodic epic war metal.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-07-02, 5:16 PM #29
Björk has a wonderful and unique voice. Also, her accent is lovely.

For a curiously unique voice, look for music by Jimmy Scott, who has a genetic condition that prevented him from reaching puberty. The only song of his that I've heard is "Sycamore Trees".

I'm quite fond of Tuvan throat singers' voices, both when they are throat singing, and when they are singing normally.
I'm just a little boy.
2006-07-02, 5:17 PM #30
Originally posted by Detty:
Like: Patrick Stewart, Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica, girl voices that are neither too high or too low
Dislike: James Blunt, any excessively british accents typically found in indie music

Good ones, especially Patrick Stewart.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-07-02, 6:19 PM #31
the singer sounds good in Vermillion where he sings "she came home...forever" (and whispers forever. sounds kinda evil and yet hot. I dont know im weird like that lol

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/s/slipknotlyrics/vermillionlyrics.html

i'll find the song online, or look for a clip
2006-07-02, 6:23 PM #32
http://www.themp3direct.com/search/...ipknot&uid=2748

go here, click on vermillion

then click on "preview song"

you can hear what im talking about
2006-07-02, 6:25 PM #33
Good Singing voice - Peter gabriel, James LaBrie, and Layne Staley
Cool Talking Voice - Patrick Stewart
Hideously Annoying Voice - My English instructor, and women from New York
Unique - uhh Hanks, Connery.
2006-07-02, 6:42 PM #34
Cant believe no one has said James Earl Jones yet.

Other interesting ones I can think of are Jason Isaacs, Jeremy Irons, David Thewlis, Richard Harris, Michael Dorn (Worf), Michael Clark Duncan, and Phil Hartman (I'm Troy Maclure!).
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-07-02, 7:03 PM #35
Originally posted by BoricuaDelight:
http://www.themp3direct.com/search/...ipknot&uid=2748

go here, click on vermillion

then click on "preview song"

you can hear what im talking about

I like Corey Taylors aggressive tone/voice.. but that is hardly a song to compare his vocal skills.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-07-02, 7:35 PM #36
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
Cant believe no one has said James Earl Jones yet.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Michael Ironside yet. I mean come on people, SAM FISHER. Plus a buttload of other characters. He was on Stargate not to long ago as well.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-07-02, 7:36 PM #37
Mike came damn close, but Fabio wins.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-07-02, 7:41 PM #38
After watching a clip of Norm MacDonald completely bash Saturday Night Live, I'd have to say his voice is unmistakable. He also wins as the best Death on Family Guy.

As far as singers go, Ozzy is instantly recognizable by anyone. As is Brian Johnson of AC/DC.

[Edit]Also, Mikael Åkerfeldt destroys Corey Taylor as far as vocals go.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-07-02, 8:11 PM #39
two other recognizable voices are Jay Leno and David Letterman as well as Conan O' Brian

Dont know, I guess they are voices you hear so much you just recognize them. As far as them being anything special, their voices dont do anything for me, bad or good. They are just something I could easily recognize ya know
2006-07-02, 9:14 PM #40
Chris Cornell is awesome when he sings, but rubbish when he speaks. Same goes for Andrea Corr but hers is more of a "I'll string you along for the moment by being all breathy, then when I get bored I'll crush you" awesome.

I can't stand James Blunt or Jennifer Lopez. Like cats being swung by the tail. Or microwaved.

I also get a kick out of Bill Nighy because he sounds like he's taking the piss out of whoever he is talking to.

↑ Up to the top!