Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → iTunes
iTunes
2004-06-24, 10:08 PM #1
I'm not talking about Music or the showcasing of it, so I reckon this is meant to go here...

I just downloaded and installed iTunes for windows, and am quite impressed. I did it mainly because the iTunes store now sells to Europeans, but the store failed miserbaly to bring back half of what I want - the reason (for now) that iTunes is a keeper is the radio stations - some of them are brilliant, I wouldn't guess they were net streams from just hearing them.

I also appreciated the fact that when I was installing it, iTunes ASKED me about file associations, and about reorganising my music, and didn't just do it without my permission. In fact it didn't change anything at all - my file structure for music is my own, and it won't steal foobar as my mp3 player of choice [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] - it's too RAM hungry.

What do you rabble think? The store any good? Will it get better?

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-06-24, 10:15 PM #2
Most programs I've seen ask you about file associations - including the dreaded windows media player so many of you seem to hate.

Personally I don't like itunes all that much. It's good, but not -that- good.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-24, 10:26 PM #3
My mate who has a powerbook loves it - I'm still sat on the fence. (He does have an iPod too which I imagine helps a lot) It is very pretty though [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] The visualisations are dead nice too.

I think when I moan about file associations I'm thinking of old experiences... but I am, shall we say, a disliker of media player: I live with my ex-girlfriend (actually, I move out todya), and I've had nothing but grief with it getting her music to work... on the other hand, the other 3 lads in my house only use it - they won't touch winamp or foobar. Heathens [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-06-24, 10:31 PM #4
I've always been using media player. I've tried a bunch of other programs - including several versions of winamp. I can't stand it, I don't understand how you can all like it so much.

------------------
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-24, 11:39 PM #5
It's a heathen program hewn from the bones of children. Or something - I don't really like it from what I've seen of it, and it's got an 'i' at the front, which can't be good.

------------------
[ Massassiism ] [ Cynicism ] [ Fanaticism ]
Sell your soul for a cookie?
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-06-25, 6:24 AM #6
It's a great program, but I was skeptical in the beginning. Once I bought an iPod and installed it, I was done with WinAmp. The store is okay, but I still think a dollar is too much for one song. The selection is really good, and they always have the big bands, and they're doing better with the independent bands.

------------------
Space Colony Inc. Phoenix Suburban City Dereliction
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-06-25, 6:47 AM #7
Yeah, me likey iTunes... Only problem I've had is with the store, no Evanescence... I mean... WTQ?
But yeah, the interface is awesome, and I love how you can create playlists and then burn them straight to CD. Makes it easy to keep track of what you've got on CD, cause you can just check the playlists, until you find the song you want, then find the coorsponding cd.

Also, it has some nice features when impoting music in that you can choose start and stop locations for each song, so you don't have to worry about hidden tracks (you can even rip the same track twice but at different spots so you can get the last song and whatever's in the hidden track).

------------------
Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin
http://www.writings-emag.net The next big thing since individually wrapped cheese slices (coming soon).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-06-25, 9:13 AM #8
HEATHENS! TESTIFY! Testify to the greatness of WinAmp and save your mortal soul from damnation! TESTIF!

I didn't like iTunes...at all. It's too bulky, too big for a media player, and it doesn't dock right for me. I love my miniature winamp. Here's a screeny.

That Miniature window at the bottom is winamp. I love also its online TV stations, online radio stations...pretty much everything about it. I can't see trying another media player for a looooooooooong time.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-25, 9:35 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
I've always been using media player. I've tried a bunch of other programs - including several versions of winamp. I can't stand it, I don't understand how you can all like it so much.

</font>

http://bb.1asphost.com/cazorfett/winamp.jpg [edit]...ok... my 1asphost pics dont like img tags anymore...[/edit]

it does everything i need it to do, and has this awesome skin that docks to the top of my screen without getting in the way of anything, so i can always change my music without having to open and close windows. there’s nothing i can see that anyone “couldnt stand”

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels

[This message has been edited by Cazor (edited June 25, 2004).]
2004-06-25, 10:52 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
HEATHENS! TESTIFY! Testify to the greatness of WinAmp and save your mortal soul from damnation! TESTIF!

I didn't like iTunes...at all. It's too bulky, too big for a media player, and it doesn't dock right for me. I love my miniature winamp. Here's a screeny.

</font>

Uh, iTunes can do the same thing, just press control+m.

------------------
Some of you should learn to think a bit and discover - *gasp* - that someone can dislike Michael Moore, Kerry, and Bush!
-Wolfy
2004-06-25, 12:13 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JediHunter_X:

</font>

Not nearly as sexily or with as many skins.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-25, 2:08 PM #12
I've used a couple of media players and iTunes is by far my favorite. Winamp was just too... ghetto, WMP was just too lame and some of the others were just rips of winamp.

iTunes is the sex.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-06-25, 3:15 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JediHunter_X:

</font>

That reason right there is why I have not updated my copy. The Mac version of 4.6 (I think that's what it's up to, right?) works like it should, you press the restore button, it goes to the miniplayer. 4.6 in Windows no long does that. This annoys me, as I can't tell you HOW many times when I was using 4.6 at school I pressed the restore button only to find that it changed the window size, not change to the miniplayer. I hope they fix that in the next release.

I love iTunes. I find the default visualizations to be FAR superior to anything Winamp comes with. I like the way it handles multiple playlists better. I like the idea of the library. I like the way I'm able, if I so choose, to disable a song from the playlist. I never saw a way to do that in Winamp, if you didn't want it to play, you deleted it. iTunes will let me disable the song and will only play it when I double click it. I using it for tracks on CDs that I've ripped which I can't stand in a normal cycle, but every once in awhile want to hear.

Anyway, when iTunes first came out for Windows, I downloaded it the next day. I still keep Winamp 2.9 around for a few things (Winamp 5 is evil, I don't like it at all). Namely radio stations I can't play via iTunes, or songs I haven't gotten sorted out and don't want to clutter up my playlists in iTunes with. I love iTunes, I'm not changing back anytime soon.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-25, 3:23 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cazor:
http://bb.1asphost.com/cazorfett/winamp.jpg</font>

omq I know how many characters your password has!

*hax0rz cazor's computer*

------------------
2004-06-25, 4:58 PM #15
Who actually keeps winamp visible??

Between current song and progress showing in Samurizer, and global hotkeys for basically every function i need in winamp5, there's really no reason at all. Except to browse the media library, and playlist sometimes to prune things.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"If all those usefull inventions that are lyable to abuse, should therefore be concealed, there is not any Art or Science, which might be lawfully profest."
-John Wilkins, Mercury, or the Secret and Swift messenger, shewing how a man may with privacy and speed Communicate his thoughts to a Friend at any distance (London, 1641)
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-06-25, 5:55 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dormouse:
Who actually keeps winamp visible??

Between current song and progress showing in Samurizer, and global hotkeys for basically every function i need in winamp5, there's really no reason at all. Except to browse the media library, and playlist sometimes to prune things.

</font>

Sometimes I keep my playlist visible

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!