Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New computer!
New computer!
2006-07-07, 12:56 PM #1
:D :D :D

I think the guys should be done with it in about an hour or so, and then, when I get home, I'm installing drivers and GAMING TIL I CAN'T KEEP MY EYES OPEN. My question, Massassi, is what game should I play...?

Call of Duty? Fun game. But I pretty much beat it at my uncle's house, nothing left to do but restart the game.

Delta Force: Black Hawk Down? Good game, played at my uncle's. Beat it on my PS2. Not much here but to restart as well.

Delta Force: XTREME!!??!!! Came with the video card. I may just install this first and play it for a bit because it intrigued me, even though it's an average game.

C&C: Generals? Played on old computer, just..not very well. Kinda got down in frame rate at explosions, and now I could actually BEAT the campaign, instead of having to stop because the cutscene is running at 6 fps.

Ah. Here's a good one. KotOR. This is very high on my to play list. After I get my NEW COMPUTAR fix from DF:X I think I'll install and play this one. I've had it for a while, just couldn't play it.

Oh and uh..Pajama Sam's Sockworks. It's intended for Windows 3.1.

Which game should I install and play first?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-07, 12:57 PM #2
Uhh...Oblivion?
2006-07-07, 12:59 PM #3
I do not have Oblivion. I'm not pirating Oblivion. Oblivion costs money. Does Oblivion run on Win2k?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-07, 12:59 PM #4
JK
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-07-07, 1:00 PM #5
I'd go with KotOR.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-07-07, 1:04 PM #6
Originally posted by genk:
JK

Good point, Zloc. Try JK instead!
2006-07-07, 1:06 PM #7
KotOR will keep you gaming past the point where your eyes feel like giving up.
2006-07-07, 1:09 PM #8
Originally posted by LividDK27:
KotOR will keep you gaming past the point where your eyes feel like giving up.

Excellent. But should I play DF:XTREEEEEEEEEEME first to see how the computer performs in something somewhat fast paced and different than an RPG?

Edit: Oh and wow. I'm amazed. moneyobie voted for a serious poll option! I put Pajama Sam's Sockworks in there JUST for obie!
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-07, 1:16 PM #9
I don't know :P I don't particularly like DF. However, make sure you stick through the opening world on KotOR. Taris can feel a little slow (moreso on replays), but it does pick up a whole lot.
2006-07-07, 1:16 PM #10
I am going to say KotOR, mostly because I hear it is supposed to be really cool, yet every time I try to play it I barely get into and become bored out of my mind (and all the other options suck).
2006-07-07, 1:17 PM #11
Yeah, get like an Oblivion demo or HL2 or something with OMFQAWESOME graphics.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-07-07, 1:19 PM #12
I beat HL2 on this computer. I'm just not going to have internet connection on the new computer immediately, and hence no Steam. I'll get HL2 on it, just not tonight.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-07, 1:52 PM #13
KotOR's neat
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-07-07, 2:11 PM #14
New computer with Win2K?
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-07-07, 2:33 PM #15
I'm not about to shell out $140 for XP Pro, and, well, piracy is discouraged on these forums.

:ninja:
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-07, 2:35 PM #16
You're better off getting Linux and learning all the pains and tortures of it instead of Windows2k
2006-07-07, 8:02 PM #17
All of those games suck.
2006-07-08, 12:22 AM #18
Get Jagged Alliance 2 to play instead.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2006-07-08, 1:11 AM #19
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
I do not have Oblivion. I'm not pirating Oblivion.

:ninja:

C&C Generals, those RTS type games kept me up playing way past the point where I couldn't keep my eyes open, it got me to to the point where it was 9 AM and I had stuff to do later that day.

edit: call of duty is also an excellent chose. Be sure to play rifles and not those retarded submachine guns.
2006-07-08, 1:51 AM #20
KotOR is by far the best game on that list. Followed are Call of Duty and C&C Generals. I don't know anything about the Delta Force games.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-07-08, 5:31 AM #21
i remember playing the very first two delta force games, they came out not too long after JK, about 98 or 99, were pretty fun... I didn't realise they made 60000 of them though.
2006-07-08, 8:25 AM #22
:gbk:

I got it home, plugged it in, installed all the drivers (I requested I do that, not the computer place. My project), plugged in my speakers and got ready to play. There was no sound...

I installed SP4, reinstalled all my drivers. Still nothing. My dad and I checked inside the case, couldn't find any wires missing. Still nothing.

I'm going to call tech support, if tech support can't get it, I may end up just running it in. Again. I just hope my motherboard's sound isn't ****ed.

I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-08, 8:33 AM #23
Originally posted by LividDK27:
I don't know :P I don't particularly like DF. However, make sure you stick through the opening world on KotOR. Taris can feel a little slow (moreso on replays), but it does pick up a whole lot.

Taris may be slow on replays, but it's sheer brilliance the first time through. Zloc, if you haven't played KotOR yet, you need to as soon as possible.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-07-08, 8:34 AM #24
Is the onboard sound turned off in bios?
2006-07-08, 8:36 AM #25
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Is the onboard sound turned off in bios?[/QUOTE]
No. I'll get on AIM and we can discuss this.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-08, 10:35 AM #26
Originally posted by Anovis:
You're better off getting Linux and learning all the pains and tortures of it instead of Windows2k

Don't knock win2k, I've got the professional version and the only problem I had was a virus that did something to my C: drive.
He could of course have both, win2k does come with a operating system startup selection thingy pre-installed that is decent, win2k just needs to be installed last.
2006-07-08, 10:37 AM #27
KotOR. I just started playing through it for the nth time again last night.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2006-07-08, 10:49 AM #28
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:

I got it home, plugged it in, installed all the drivers (I requested I do that, not the computer place. My project), plugged in my speakers and got ready to play. There was no sound...

I installed SP4, reinstalled all my drivers. Still nothing. My dad and I checked inside the case, couldn't find any wires missing. Still nothing.

I'm going to call tech support, if tech support can't get it, I may end up just running it in. Again. I just hope my motherboard's sound isn't ****ed.

Check the volume control panel, make sure everything isn't muted. While you're there make sure the sliders are adjusted correctly (not all at the bottom).

Next, make sure your speakers aren't busted, and are plugged into the right plug. There are three spots that take the same size plug, Microphone, Line Out, and Speaker, usually. Either of the latter two will work, the first won't. Make sure you're not plugging it in the wrong one (if there's color codes, green is speaker).

Also make sure your speakers are plugged into AC if they have an AC jack in them, otherwise they won't work at all. Be sure the volume control on the speakers is turned up.

Try using headphones right in the speaker or line out jack to be sure your speakers aren't busted.

Test with mplayer2.exe to be sure it's not the individual game.

2006-07-08, 12:13 PM #29
Originally posted by Stinkywrix:
C&C Generals

Stay the hell away from KotOR.
nope.
2006-07-08, 12:14 PM #30
YOU HAVE CRAP TASTE IN EVERYTHING
2006-07-08, 12:19 PM #31
YOU'RE ENGLISH SO YOUR POINT IS NULL AND VOID
nope.
2006-07-08, 12:26 PM #32
Originally posted by Baconfish:
YOU'RE ENGLISH SO YOUR POINT IS NULL AND VOID

QUIET SCOTTISH BOY
2006-07-08, 10:20 PM #33
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]Check the volume control panel, make sure everything isn't muted. While you're there make sure the sliders are adjusted correctly (not all at the bottom).

Next, make sure your speakers aren't busted, and are plugged into the right plug. There are three spots that take the same size plug, Microphone, Line Out, and Speaker, usually. Either of the latter two will work, the first won't. Make sure you're not plugging it in the wrong one (if there's color codes, green is speaker).

Also make sure your speakers are plugged into AC if they have an AC jack in them, otherwise they won't work at all. Be sure the volume control on the speakers is turned up.

Try using headphones right in the speaker or line out jack to be sure your speakers aren't busted.

Test with mplayer2.exe to be sure it's not the individual game.[/QUOTE]
I've done ALL of this. Except it has 6 sound ports, not 3. Stupid A8N-E...

I'll be calling tech support tomorrow. If they can't help me, I'm kinda leery to take it into town again. I may just buy a cheap PCI sound card (would a $30 Creative SoundBlaster suffice for music listening and gaming? I'm NOT an audiophile).

I installed C&C Generals earlier. My GOD that game is sexy.
I had a blog. It sucked.

↑ Up to the top!