Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Car Audio
Car Audio
2006-07-08, 1:33 PM #1
Okay, so ive been thinking about getting a new radio for my car. Right now i have the standard 6 cd changer that came with my car. However, my friend has an adapter to hook his ipod up to the radio.

So which do you think is more reasonable? Getting an FM transmitter (A lot cheaper), or a new radio alltogether (A lot better sound quality)
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-07-08, 1:38 PM #2
I just use an FM transmitter. My car's stereo is nothing amazing anyway (it's just the stock stereo, decent, but not amazing), and I really can't notice any quality difference in playing a CD in the car and playing decent quality music off my iPod through the transmitter. I just made sure I got one with full FM tuning capability because the ones that only tune like 8 preset stations (usually like 88.1-89.5) can suck if you live somewhere with a lot of stations in that range (like I do).

Before buying one though, the best thing you can do to tell if it's gonna be a waste of money or not is to drive out to somewhere where you can pick up all of the radio stations in your area well. Then you sit there and tune through all the stations and see if you can find at least a good .6 MHz gap where there are no stations, and then use the deadest sounding frequency on the transmitter...
2006-07-08, 2:21 PM #3
Just from personal experience, I've always enjoyed Line In a helluva lot more than FM transmitters, and they've solved a lot of problems with my XM Radio units. Those were powered through the car, and when I would use the built-in FM Transmitter, I would get so much engine noise it was crazy. I could've just probably just grounded the lines, but I figured Line-in was a better all around solution.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-07-08, 2:59 PM #4
I don't even have a cassette / CD player in my car, so I only use the radio
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-07-08, 2:59 PM #5
The FM transmitter ive been using plugs into the ciggarette lighter so you can charge the ipod at the same time.

However, I do notice a drop in audio quality. I dont think i have the base line speaker system for the car anyway, its got about 6-8 speakers in it.
2006-07-08, 3:11 PM #6
None of the ones I've seen that just run off the iPod battery seem to work so hot anyway. I think it's mostly due to the fact that the cable for the 12V plug also generally serves as the antenna and does a better job than the crappy built-in antenna in one that runs off the battery.

One option you could maybe go with since you have a CD changer is use an adapter that will connect to the radio's CD changer input. Of course, in doing so you'll completely lose the option to use your CD changer, but it'd be cheaper than going the new radio route I'd imagine, while still getting the quality of a line-in connection. I considered this option since my stereo has a CD changer input that's not used, but I decided to go the cheaper route, at least for now.

There are so many factors going into what you should do. Quality of the radio, quality of the speakers, cost of new radio (and possibly speakers), etc. So ultimately it's just how much you want to spend and how much work you want to put into it.
2006-07-09, 2:21 PM #7
Yea. Im looking into getting a radio, seeing if thats worth it feature wise or not.

Another question I had: Since i have a 6 cd changer already, would I need to look for a radio capable of handling the 6 cds? Or can I just use anything?
2006-07-09, 2:26 PM #8
How often do you really use the CD player?
Pissed Off?
2006-07-09, 2:47 PM #9
I've used both, and to be honest the FM transmitters are a pain: If you travel any real distance (when is when you get the most out of the iPod) you lose the signal as local radio stations interfere with your signal.

Change your radio - my iPod friendly one cost less than £100 :D
2006-07-09, 3:04 PM #10
Originally posted by Avenger:
How often do you really use the CD player?

All the time. Pretty much every time im in my car.

I drive about 6 hours to get too and from school for the holidays.

The FM transmitter i used seemed to work fine, but again, i didnt travel very far with it so I dont know if it would have cut out on the signal
2006-07-09, 3:46 PM #11
Originally posted by MBeggar:
I drive about 6 hours to get too and from school for the holidays.

My trip is 21 hours, and I manage with just FM :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-07-09, 8:23 PM #12
FM Transmitters suck. They're shoddy, lower quality sound, and if you don't have many dead stations in your area, you're gonna have a hell of a time getting it working right.
2006-07-09, 10:11 PM #13
I ****ing hate my iTrip. I would use a tape adapter, but my casette deck is broken on my radio. I am so sick of hearing static wherever I go... there are NO dead stations because I live next to Washington DC. If you live in a populated area, spend the extra cash and buy a new iPod-compatible radio.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2006-07-10, 7:47 PM #14
Tape Adapter. Or at least... a tape adapter if you have a tape player. Its better than an FM transmitter.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-07-10, 8:01 PM #15
ya, well.... my car's got an AM radio! ooh!

:(
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2006-07-10, 8:16 PM #16
Originally posted by Whelly:
I ****ing hate my iTrip. I would use a tape adapter, but my casette deck is broken on my radio. I am so sick of hearing static wherever I go... there are NO dead stations because I live next to Washington DC. If you live in a populated area, spend the extra cash and buy a new iPod-compatible radio.

I feel for you. If you can find out how, it should be fairly easy to get a standard 3.5 mm jack plugged into your radio instead of buying a new radio, which is expensive. There should be audio input somewhere in there that you can just tap into with a headphone jack that you can steal off a cheap pair of headphones. Or you can buy a small kit for little money. I haven't looked into that at all, but I am sure if you are careful and read up you could install everything yourself, regardless if you get the kit or just try to rig something of your own up. I haven't tried this, but I know people do it. Good luck.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-07-11, 8:39 AM #17
Ha, thanks. I'm actually planning to take it apart and figure out how to do what you said. I'll fix it eventually. :)
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2006-07-11, 9:08 AM #18
XM Satellite radio. It's not that expensive.

Well the radio might be but the service is like only $12...or so my sister says.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-07-11, 9:13 AM #19
[QUOTE=Admiral Zarn]ya, well.... my car's got an AM radio! ooh!

:([/QUOTE]
One of our trucks has an 8-track! BEAT THAT
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-07-12, 12:18 PM #20
Originally posted by genk:
One of our trucks has an 8-track! BEAT THAT

well mines got....

AN AM RADIO!!!!

....and uh......

..... thats it :o
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2006-07-12, 2:43 PM #21
alpine radio + ipod adaptor = sex
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2006-07-12, 10:04 PM #22
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
XM Satellite radio. It's not that expensive.

Well the radio might be but the service is like only $12...or so my sister says.

Our whole family has XM, and we can't live without it. I still use it a crapload even with using the iPod in the car. The radios have definitley gone down in price, and yes, the service is only 12 bucks a month or so, but well worth it.

If you got it, they would probably stick the FM Modulator in there that owuld hardwire XM to a station like 87.9, and connect through Line In, which would also let you plug in a mp3 player.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"

↑ Up to the top!