Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Microsoft Patents Human Skin
Microsoft Patents Human Skin
2004-06-24, 6:23 PM #1
Well, kind of, anyways. Plus, there's a funny illustration.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+patents+body+power/2100-1014_3-5244766.html?tag=nefd.top

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-06-24, 7:11 PM #2
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kyle90:
Well, kind of, anyways. Plus, there's a funny illustration.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+patents+body+power/2100-1014_3-5244766.html?tag=nefd.top[/ URL]

</font>

Microsoft probably bought, ripped off, or copied this technology from someone else...

Also, how the hell can you patent double-clicking? the concept has been around since before windows 95, so why patent it now?

Microsoft has grown too big, and I predict that within the next 10 years, they will be split up just like the feds did to ma bell.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 24, 2004).]
2004-06-24, 7:16 PM #3
Wasn't there a ruling a few years ago to do just that, but it got thrown out becuase the judge was biased or some such thing?

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-24, 8:15 PM #4
If you get a sunburn, and your skin peals, would that make you lose information between devices?

------------------
The Devious Server
2004-06-24, 8:34 PM #5
[http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/ne/p/2004/062304msft_patent.gif]

That's just . . . wow

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-06-24, 8:34 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RingMaster481:
If you get a sunburn, and your skin peals, would that make you lose information between devices?

</font>

That can be fixed by using the "Add new skin" wizard.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 24, 2004).]
2004-06-24, 9:09 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:

Microsoft has grown too big, and I predict that within the next 10 years, they will be split up just like the feds did to ma bell.

</font>

Ma bell...that reminds me of reading Underground the book. Great book. Google for it, if you want to, it's a free .txt download, and worth the read.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-25, 4:21 AM #8
Think of all the maintainence that would take. You have to take a shower anytime you get remotely dirty, or you'll short out. And I bet the wireless internet will be akin to the old "rabbit ears" anntennae that TVs used. They'll be arrests for insanity, when all people are trying to do is get into a position to pick up the web.

And has got to be the funniest "professional" picture ever.
2004-06-25, 5:09 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
That's just . . . wow</font>

Why the suprise? Its about on par with the quality of everything else they've ever done...

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-25, 6:50 AM #10
Actually Microsoft's hardware is quite good...

------------------
The Devious Server
2004-06-25, 7:02 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RingMaster481:
Actually Microsoft's hardware is quite good...

</font>

it's just that their software leaves much to be desired.

Unfortunately, virtually all of my design software (like photoshp/illustrator) only works properly on windows, otherwise I would go 100% open source in a second. Thanks to adobe, microsoft has me by the proverbial nuts. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2004-06-25, 7:11 AM #12
Well, first of all, Microsoft's hardware kind of sucks. Some of their products are okay, but they're often engineered and constructed quite poorly. I had a Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0, the second to top of the line wireless mouse by Microsoft, the top being a Bluetooth model. I opened it up to see if I could mod it to remove the smooth scrolling and fix the annoying click of the middle mouse button (force had to be applied in a certain area of the mouse wheel). I discovered it to be a completely crap build quality compared to Logitech's mice. Same thing goes with their joysticks. I feel like I'm gonna break my Sidewinder when I hold it. Unfortunately there wasn't anything better at the time.

But why use skin as a data bus? Flesh is a horrible conductor of electricity, it would be like having a 10k ohm resistor between each connection or something. They must not be planning on transmitting much data.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-06-25, 8:11 AM #13
I might jump on the band wagon and say all Microsoft Software sucks, but I own a copy of Microsoft Visual C++.

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-06-25, 8:26 AM #14
If you pirate Microsoft Windows BodyXP, they will shock your hiney!

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-06-25, 10:02 AM #15
Your hiney if you're lucky!

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-06-25, 11:25 AM #16
Microsoft Body Update 243563.3.2.00665

-Fixed bug where if explorer crashed you became a eunuch.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-25, 1:06 PM #17
[http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/04jun/uf006854.gif]

------------------
"If I had a dollar for every time I had sixty cents, I would be Canada."
"Should slice indices start at 0 or 1? My compromise of 0.5 was rejected without, I thought, proper consideration."
"I like the concept of people, but people ruin it."
"It has come to my attention that some of you have thumb-drives. They are cool."
--@%
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2004-06-25, 1:26 PM #18
^ heh

------------------
Truth is in the eye of the beholder.
Forum Rules
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2004-06-25, 4:20 PM #19
I'm surprised that Microsoft hasn't attempted to patent the patent yet... They probably did, but kept the media silenced with a combination of bribes and assasinations when they got turned down... :P

------------------
"I know there's got to be some sort of mathematical equation for this sort of thing, but I prefer trial and error. It's one of the advantages of having a socialized health care system."
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-06-25, 6:00 PM #20
er...Smock...they caught you leeching. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-25, 6:16 PM #21
w00t! Now I have an excuse to wear those intel inside stickers on my forehead!

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-25, 7:17 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:

</font>

wow, that is awsome.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-06-25, 8:03 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Microsoft has been awarded a patent for using human skin as a power conduit and data bus.</font>
That's where I quit reading.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-06-26, 2:11 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
</font>

Good one!

However, it would kinda nullify this, wouldn't it?
[http://home.midsouth.rr.com/catcam/intel.jpg]

------------------
"I know there's got to be some sort of mathematical equation for this sort of thing, but I prefer trial and error. It's one of the advantages of having a socialized health care system."

[This message has been edited by nottheking (edited June 26, 2004).]
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...

↑ Up to the top!