Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → question about speeding tickets
question about speeding tickets
2006-07-09, 3:40 PM #1
i've never been pulled over after 2 years of driving, but in case it does happen, i want to know if something that i heard from a neighbor is true.

say you're driving 68 in a 55, and an officer pulls you over and you didnt know how fast you were going, and he tells you he is writing you a ticket. can you ask the officer to see the radar detector (or other device) that told him how fast you were going, and if the officer can't show you how he got the number, they can't give you the ticket?

[also, i was told this while talking about getting tickets on a freeway, where an officer will be on a bridge watching passing traffic with a radar gun, who will walkie the make, model and color of the car to pull over to police cars hidden in the bushes, or whatever below. apparently if the officer who pulls you over doesnt have the radar gun, it isn't valid?]
2006-07-09, 3:47 PM #2
It might be different for each state. I've heard that you can request to see the radar gun, but I've never met anyone who's ever actually done it.
Life is beautiful.
2006-07-09, 3:56 PM #3
yeah, i think i would only ask to see it until after im 100% sure im getting a ticket. i wouldnt want to ask right away and piss him off, and go from a possible warning to a ticket if he just so happens to have it.
2006-07-09, 3:58 PM #4
Just flirt with him.

"Hey baby, they say my bumhole's like a donut."
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-07-09, 4:13 PM #5
you can ask to see the radar but they really don't have to and probably wont..

If its really a situation where you were not speeding then you would get a lawyer, if the cop is unable to provide video tape it would probably be thrown out.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-07-09, 4:51 PM #6
Originally posted by Jepman:
Just flirt with him.

"Hey baby, they say my bumhole's like a donut."

LMAO
2006-07-09, 7:01 PM #7
The radar gun isn't going to have the speed you were going locked into it, I don't think. What you can do is ask to see if the gun is properly calibrated.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-09, 7:12 PM #8
Whoever told you that is an idiot.

And also full of ****.
2006-07-09, 7:19 PM #9
Police have something that in latin means something like the state's trust in that their witnessing a crime is "proof" of a crime. I am only going off of an old argument we used in Debate for search and seizure, and I don't remember EXACTLY what the law states, so I'm probably useless.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-09, 7:24 PM #10
I heard that you should plead not guilty, send the ticket in, they will call you and give you a date to show up in court. Call back and say that date wont work and have it moved. You have a decent chance that the cop wont be able to show up to testify, and as long as you say you weren't speeding, you get off.

Meh... I just pay my fine. :P
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2006-07-09, 7:46 PM #11
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Police have something that in latin means something like the state's trust in that their witnessing a crime is "proof" of a crime. I am only going off of an old argument we used in Debate for search and seizure, and I don't remember EXACTLY what the law states, so I'm probably useless.

This is wrong. While their witnessing a crime is good evidence, it is not "proof". If it were proof, then it would be a matter of "guilty until proven innocent".
2006-07-09, 8:35 PM #12
Well, not undeniable proof, but I mean that they can issue tickets without any evidence other than their own testimony. You can't REFUSE a ticket based on their lack of proof.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-09, 8:51 PM #13
well, ok i guess i didnt mean that if he couldnt come up with a radar gun for me i would sit there and say "sorry, sir. im not accepting this ticket" and drive away. but would it be enough to be quite a strong peice of evidence to get out of it in court?
2006-07-09, 11:20 PM #14
Here's the problem: most of the time a good cop won't use the radar as his basis for giving you a ticket if he doesn't have to. Especially at night, they will pace you, that is, follow you at the speed you're going and look at their own speedometer. Basically, if you really want to fight it, you can probably request some proof of calibration or something during the hearing, I don't know. It's very likely that if you do, they'll be able to prove it was calibrated. Moral of the story: don't speed?
Warhead[97]
2006-07-09, 11:23 PM #15
*Insert Brian Cop rant here*
2006-07-09, 11:25 PM #16
*Insert THRAWN cop rant here*
Pissed Off?
2006-07-10, 4:28 AM #17
*Insert penis here*
2006-07-10, 7:21 AM #18
*Insert Jep's penis into cardoor*
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-07-10, 7:28 AM #19
This is unrelated, but is it possible to avoid parking tickets by leaving your wipers on fast wipe when you park?
nope.
2006-07-10, 7:34 AM #20
Originally posted by Sol:
*Insert Jep's penis into cardoor*

R.i.p Jephood :(
2006-07-10, 7:35 AM #21
Don't police cars turn on their in-car camera when pulling over speeders?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-07-10, 8:10 AM #22
If you were going that and the cops were about to pull you over, you'd just go away. 251kmh on a 80kmh area is so much that the cops will stop chasing you because
  1. Their cars don't go that fast
  2. Chasing you that fast is too dangerous for the other traffic
  3. They already got your licence number
Last edited by mb; today at 10:55 AM.
2006-07-10, 8:38 AM #23
put your own wheelclamps on every wheel too, boco.
2006-07-10, 8:47 AM #24
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]put your own wheelclamps on every wheel too, boco.[/QUOTE]
There's a possible problem with that, the officer might decide nobodies coming back to the car and have it towed. Not sure what the reqs are for that though.

↑ Up to the top!