Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Does any of this make sense to you...
Does any of this make sense to you...
2006-07-09, 9:56 PM #1
..or is just another totally unsound conspiracy theory?

I've often wondered why p2p software and malware are so often synonomous with one another. Think about it: Most p2p programs (including the ever-lovable kazaa) come bundled with spyware that is often a mandatory install-- in some cases, removing the spyware cripples the program.

I've come to suspect that a lot of p2p is merely intended to be a spyware delivery system and that is its real purpose all along.

By dangling a carrot of free [usually illicit] content in front of users, people get greedy enough to download the p2p software and have their online activities sent back to base for marketing analysis.

I don't completely buy the this "software-is-ad-supported" explanation, either. Installing intrusive and often annoying ad software is not necessary when a more passive constantly-changing ad banner would get the job done.

What do you think?
2006-07-09, 10:09 PM #2
Well, the program I use (legal purposes, not illegal, and not a torrent program) I just ad-aware the spyware and it's still fine.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-09, 10:24 PM #3
Never had this problem with Shareza and Limewire [Pro... :P ]
2006-07-09, 10:53 PM #4
I specifically use spyware-free p2p programs like KazaaLite K++ or Shareaza.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-07-09, 11:38 PM #5
Same here. No spyware.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-09, 11:39 PM #6
DUH
2006-07-09, 11:46 PM #7
Luckily DC++ is neatly nonspywareish and so are 99.2% of torrents (I've got).
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-07-10, 2:30 AM #8
100% spyware free here.
I think the malware is what you get when you're stupid enough to download games and other programs.
Sorry for the lousy German

↑ Up to the top!