Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → People have argued with me about how fast Kyle runs in JK...
People have argued with me about how fast Kyle runs in JK...
2006-07-10, 1:38 AM #1
...claiming that it wasn't too fast. That it wasn't unrealistic. Well, I just did some measurements with a simple COG, and they were WRONG.

When running in a straight line, Kyle sprints at 30 MPH, or 48.24 KPH.

When running forward + strafing, Kyle sprints at 35.8 MPH or 57.6 KPH.

Top athletes can sprint at around 23 MPH or 37 KPH. Even when Kyle isn't a Jedi and just a bum on Nar Shaddaa, he's apparently faster than any living human.

When "jogging" without the run key, Kyle moves at 15.2 MPH or 24.5 KPH. This is a little more realistic. Average jogging is around 7 MPH or 11.3 KPH. If you're an athlete doing a mile in four minutes, you might be jogging at 15 MPH, which is Kyle's regular movement speed.

Oh, and let us not forget Force Speed. 2 star Force Speed, what many players use, is 60 MPH or 95 KPH. 4 star Force Speed, while strafe running, gets Kyle as fast as 82 MPH or 132 KPH.

I just thought I'd point this out. It's really annoying how fast Kyle moves. Many levels in JK are gigantic, but seem small due to Kyle's asinine move speed. It also presents problems in multiplayer. Force Speed is so fast that Kyle warps over LAN games!
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-07-10, 1:42 AM #2
Is this assuming a 6-foot-tall Kyle?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-07-10, 1:44 AM #3
Something tells me, over everything I learned over this summer, these facts in that post will stay in my mind.

Thanks Emon.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-07-10, 1:56 AM #4
Can I have this cog? And will it work with the Duel Zero mod? I'd love to see how fast I can get Kyle to go with that mod <_<

Then all I'll need is a teleport cog that doesn't reset your speed to zero. Then I can see if Kyle can break the speed of light :D
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-07-10, 1:59 AM #5
It's a level and a small COG, really. You run through a starting line and one second later, it spits out how far you have gone in JKUs. One JKU = 10 meters. So multiply by 10 to get meters per second.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-07-10, 2:06 AM #6
Hrm. One of these days, I'll figure out how fast Kyle can max his speed with that mod.

Anyways, yeah -- Kyle in JK IS way fast. A lot of first person shooters and the like have your player character moving a lot faster than they should, and probably around 2000, game developers decided to try and aim for a more realistic speed. It's rather amusing when you play a game like Half-Life 1 and then jump to Half-Life 2 and you're all "Gordon? Did you gain some weight? Why are you slow?" but really, he was just insanely fast before. Ah, the days before realism...
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-07-10, 2:11 AM #7
In Rainbow Six it always felt like you were wading waste deep through mollasses. Turns out it was just realistic.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-07-10, 6:29 AM #8
Wading waste deep sounds damn uncomfortable. :p
nope.
2006-07-10, 9:32 AM #9
He's got special implants in his legs. It's Star Wars, man!

And we could argue that he's been force fluent forever, and he's just now discovering it. Everyone's always been a little questionable about him being able to run fast, win at dice, and climb buildings in a few leaps.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-10, 9:36 AM #10
Yeah, I though how you fast you ran in JK was absolutely ridiculous.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-07-10, 9:37 AM #11
Kyle "The Roadrunner" Katarn
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-07-10, 9:59 AM #12
Whether it's unrealistic or not, I don't know, and don't care. What I do know is that the speed in which he runs with both NF and FF is one of the main things that makes JK so great.
2006-07-10, 10:04 AM #13
No, it's one of the things that makes JK not so great.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-07-10, 10:14 AM #14
African or European Kyle?
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-07-10, 10:57 AM #15
This is probably some of the most useful information I will hear all day and actually remember in the future. Thank you. :v:
2006-07-10, 11:30 AM #16
As others said, there's a difference between what's realistic and what's fun to play. Sure Kyle could've walked at average speeds. Sure his standing jump could be little more than a hop. But then you'd take ages to get anywhere!
Especially concidering JK is more of an arcadey shooter it has to be fast and fun.

Heck, even several supposedly realistic racing games have cars accelarating faster than they do in real life because otherwise they'd take an age to get up to speed. Sure it feels fast when you're in the car, but when you take away all the G forces pressing you down you lose alot of the sensation. So they have to compensate.

So I don't see anything wrong with Kyle having superhuman speed even without using the Force. At least we can get to places in a do-able amount of time and it makes dodging blasterfire and rockets just that bit easier.

(And when you think about it, Star Wars is one of the last places where you need to complain about silly things like "realism".)
Seishun da!
2006-07-10, 11:52 AM #17
Originally posted by MentatMM:
Whether it's unrealistic or not, I don't know, and don't care. What I do know is that the speed in which he runs with both NF and FF is one of the main things that makes JK so great.
Yep.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-07-10, 12:25 PM #18
Now someone please measure JO's speed when you have force speed on, and are bunny hopping, please :D

We must see if Kyle has slowed down in his old age!
2006-07-10, 1:34 PM #19
Originally posted by Detty:
No, it's one of the things that makes JK not so great.

quoted for lies.
2006-07-10, 1:58 PM #20
Thats nothing.....Try playing dark forces!!

I bet his running speed in that is like 60mph

↑ Up to the top!