Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Could it be?
Could it be?
2004-06-25, 6:15 AM #1
Will we ever see another movie-based RPG that is actually GOOD? So far, the only RPG I can think of that didn't just abuse the movie license is KotOR, but the trailer for LotR:Third Age looks fantastic.

The second half of the trailer was incredible! I hope this game turns out to be as good as it looks.
2004-06-25, 6:22 AM #2
Eh, it looks... simple.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-06-25, 6:23 AM #3
TTT was awesome
RotK was god like
This should make my pants even tighter.
FotR doesn't count because EA games didn't make that, plus when EA made TTT they included FotR in it.

[edit: I just watch the trailer and holy crap *click* preordered.]

[http://images.ea.com/eagames/official/lotr_tta/screenshots/screenshots/800x600/Snapshot_15.jpg]

Pants.Wet.Tight.*shivers* This is awesome. I have complete faith in EA games. They made the other LotR games awesome.

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited June 25, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-06-25, 6:51 AM #4
I find the overuse of pyrotechnic magic rather tacky.

------------------
MadQuack has a signature.
I'm just a little boy.
2004-06-25, 7:28 AM #5
I'm not sure what stage development is in, but those character models leave much to be desired.

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-06-25, 7:31 AM #6
hmm. they look much better in the trailer, while animated.

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-06-25, 7:36 AM #7
Legolas never ever had Hadafang (Elrond's sword).

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-06-25, 7:45 AM #8
I'm sure he never looked like Orlando Bloom either but what can you do?

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-06-25, 7:50 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:

</font>

I don't think that's Legolas. It seems you can make your own characters.
The models look fine to me, but... Dwarves using magic??

------------------
I'm just a little boy.
2004-06-25, 7:50 AM #10
This RPG isn't centered around the LotR characters. You make your own characters, and have your own adventures. You still get to see certain LotR sites and battles (Helm's Deep, Moria, etc.), but you don't interact with Gandalf, Legolas, etc.
2004-06-25, 9:22 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flirbnic:
The models look fine to me, but... Dwarves using magic??
</font>

thats exactly what I thought

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-06-25, 10:14 AM #12
Maybe the the dwarf is weilding a magic weapon? Because they still used those...
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-06-25, 10:24 AM #13
Dwarves use magic only for pleasure.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-06-25, 11:04 AM #14
Here's what Peter Jackson had to say about the magic in Lord of the Rings:
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">How will the special effects of Gandalf's magic be handled?

Gandalf's magic I see as being subtle - I hate seeing fantasy movies where wizards are portrayed having sort of lightning bolts coming out of their fingertips, and having all these tricks - and so we made a deliberate attempt to really not give Gandalf any pyrotechnic, sort of visually cliched, magical powers.</font>

------------------
I'm just a little boy.
2004-06-25, 11:20 AM #15
Seems to be a FF style RPG. I'm sure I'll give it a look when it comes out.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-06-25, 4:35 PM #16
I can only hope they improve the lighting before release... Look at the wizard's (Gandalf?) shadow, as well as everybody's backs. I don't even think I see colored lighting, let alone active lighting!!! (The arcitecture could very well have been pre-colored, as the Balrog would be the only powerful light source down there.)

------------------
"I know there's got to be some sort of mathematical equation for this sort of thing, but I prefer trial and error. It's one of the advantages of having a socialized health care system."

[This message has been edited by nottheking (edited June 25, 2004).]
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-06-26, 10:34 AM #17
It's PS2. I hate consoles. Why would I play game on my TV with it's crappy resolutions, and refresh rates, and its crappy controls, and graphics, when I have a nice PC. I hate how all these nice games are ruined and dumbed down so they can be releaced for a stupid console. Grrrr... /endconsolerant
2004-06-26, 11:47 AM #18
WOOOHO ITS FOR X-BOX TOO!!!!!!

------------------
Maker of the Levels:
Sand Trap
Sand Trap (Night)

Writer/Author of the fanfic: Dragonball Aftershock

_.~'AKA DBF_SuperSaiyan'~._
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2004-06-26, 12:06 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:

</font>

Nolla Da Lost!!! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
Urco!
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-06-26, 12:14 PM #20
A LotR RPG that allows me to create my own character, and it's for the Gamecube, the only system I own.

Do you understand how rare a situation this is? Good third party games, especially RPGs, NEVER come out on the Gamecube. This is ****ing A.

I love games that let me make my own character. It's just really neat seeing your own creation in these worlds.

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-06-26, 2:06 PM #21
Ah, so it's toned-down to fit within the limitations of all three consoles at once, eh? Even the N64 had dynmaic colored lighting (Think the colored torches in the Forest Temple of LoZ:OoT)

However, Custom-creation RPGs truly are rare for consoles lacking a hard drive; those flash memory cards used by the GCN and PS2 don't allow for much storage... If I recall correctly, they're 8MB and 4MB, respectively. And a single save game for Morrowind can reach up to over 4MB, though a fresh-from-the-excise-office state is only some 300KB.

------------------
"I know there's got to be some sort of mathematical equation for this sort of thing, but I prefer trial and error. It's one of the advantages of having a socialized health care system."
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-06-26, 5:46 PM #22
I wish there was more information on this game.

I also wish it was being developped by SquareSoft or Bioware rather than EA. EA won't do anywhere near as good of a job. Oh well.
2004-06-26, 6:03 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
It's PS2. I hate consoles. Why would I play game on my TV with it's crappy resolutions, and refresh rates, and its crappy controls, and graphics, when I have a nice PC. I hate how all these nice games are ruined and dumbed down so they can be releaced for a stupid console. Grrrr... /endconsolerant</font>

Well, in reality, doing a console release is much safer due to the fact that you don't have to worry about system requirements, and the graphics and interface are specialized for one hardware configuration only, so it's usually more seamless.

Then again, pc games are usually better... So, what are you gonna do?

And SAJN, just so you don't think I've forgotten about you, I was under the impression that the console LOTR games were mere beat-em-up's, and not rpgs. I don't really consider the ability to buy a few new moves here and there an rpg, it's a little character customization.

------------------
I don't want your signature on the same page as mine. It's talking to my signature, and making it feel bad about itself.
2004-06-26, 6:18 PM #24
I'd really like to hear some more opinions about the magic. Does anyone agree with me? Disagree?

------------------
I'm just a little boy.
2004-06-26, 7:43 PM #25
Battle for Middle Earth will rule all!

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-06-26, 7:49 PM #26
True they aren't RPGs, but EA makes good games, and since the LotR games that EA made were awesome, I expect this to be awesome as well.

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
Think while it's still legal.

↑ Up to the top!