Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Why dont
Why dont
2006-07-11, 8:13 PM #1
Airlines carry parachutes for passengers in case of engine failures or ANY OTHER PROBLEM? Wouldn't it be the logical thing to do?
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-07-11, 8:14 PM #2
I've always wondered that. Its retarded I think that they don't have it.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-07-11, 8:15 PM #3
Because if they use the chutes untrained, and survive with major injuries they can sue.

If they crash and burn, it saves the company money on lawsuits and chutes.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2006-07-11, 8:22 PM #4
It would wake far too long to organize people, get chutes on, get them hooked up to a line and get them out of the plane to be effective.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-11, 8:25 PM #5
People don't know how to use chutes, planes fly too high/too fast, etc. Plus it's hard to imagine a situation where the passengers know the aircraft's going down and have enough time to get out.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-07-11, 9:35 PM #6
Because it wouldn't work. If you actually need a parachute, you'll probably need in with-in a minute of know what the problem is. Getting a parachute on ~100 untrained people and getting them out of a plance would take over an hour.

Also, the Airliners fly to high to parachute from.
2006-07-11, 9:38 PM #7
Yeah, haven't you seen Air Force One? :P
Pissed Off?
2006-07-11, 9:50 PM #8
Because you can't jump out of a plane going 400 mph without dying, there is no way to get that many people out of a plane in a reasonable amount of time, fat people take too many parachutes and hog them from non-fat people, etc.
2006-07-11, 10:22 PM #9
Quote:
fat people take too many parachutes

Don't knock fat people. If it we were talking sinking ships instead of crashing planes then it's all about clinging to someone more bouyant than yourself.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-07-11, 11:39 PM #10
He's right. If you knock a fat person, they can't get back up.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-07-11, 11:58 PM #11
Well, my carry on will begin to be a parachute from now on.
2006-07-11, 11:59 PM #12
I can just see you flinging yourself out of the plane at the first sign of trouble. :D
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-07-12, 12:08 AM #13
I never lose, I run away
2006-07-12, 12:22 AM #14
For the same reason they don't have padding under roller coasters.

If something happens with the plane, it's cheaper for everyone to just die.
2006-07-12, 12:49 AM #15
Sure, there are plenty of problems for ejecting in those conditions and such. The altitude problem could be sorted out by waiting till a certain altitude before ejecting. Even if there are a lot of problems it reduces the probability of everyone dying. I know companies might thing its not worth the investment, that's why I say we start the Massassi Airlines Inc. We could make a ton of money with our new concept of having parachutes and eject seats in our planes :eek:
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-07-12, 1:56 AM #16
Besides, the chance of a plane crashing is so extremely low. You have a much higher chance of death from riding a bike a mile or so.
2006-07-12, 1:57 AM #17
Fat people, eh.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-07-12, 2:13 AM #18
Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
Well, my carry on will begin to be a parachute from now on.

Yes. Your corpse will be carried gently down when you jump out the plane.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-07-12, 4:57 AM #19
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]For the same reason they don't have padding under roller coasters.

If something happens with the plane, it's cheaper for everyone to just die.[/QUOTE]

Then why do they put so much research into things like the brace position? My university did quite a lot of work for the FAA in improving the brace position so I find it hard to believe the urban myth about it being designed to kill more passengers.

The authorities cottoned on to the "it's cheaper to kill the client" thing back in the 60s when Ford rather famously did the maths and decided that recalling all the Pintos and adding a $10 dollar alteration would be more expensive than the payouts for the deaths. The car had the fuel tank lowered to improve luggage capacity but the new position for the fuel tank left it very close to several bolts on the rear axle differential; even in small rear-end collisions the tank was liable to rupture.
Unfortunately for Ford, when it did reach the courts, the judge saw through it in no time and awarded the deceased's family a massive sum at more than 10 times the amount on which Ford had estimated, forcing them to recall.
2006-07-12, 2:32 PM #20
Every single time I think of airplane trouble This comes to mind.
My blawgh.
2006-07-12, 3:37 PM #21
Originally posted by Avenger:
It would wake far too long to organize people, get chutes on, get them hooked up to a line and get them out of the plane to be effective.

Trap

doors. :P
2006-07-12, 4:09 PM #22
That would be funny, as long as it didn't happen to me. Hell, if they started doing that, I think I'd rather join the Army and go through Airborne training.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!