Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → A Scanner Darkly
A Scanner Darkly
2006-07-12, 3:30 PM #1
My friend and I have been waiting months for This to come out. And finally it's almost here. Who else is going to see it? And what do you guys think?
My blawgh.
2006-07-12, 3:34 PM #2
I might. The book was okay (really hard to read), though if it goes off like all the other PKD book to movie translations it could be pretty good.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-07-12, 3:37 PM #3
I looks interesting with a good plot and everything so I'll probably see it.

The style thing with the rotoscoping, it doesn't look great and it got annoying just by me watching the trailer.
nope.
2006-07-12, 3:43 PM #4
I saw it last night.

I had heard mixed reviews, and I can certainty understand why.

It was a pretty good move, but I really did not feel it was that "trippy". Most of the time I had a very good sense of what was going on (no, i have not read the book yet, but I do own it).

There was allot of humor (mostly in just seeing this bunch of complete burnouts try to live their lives), but as many reviews pointed out, absolutely no action. Pretty much everything is just dialogue (I don’t mind that, but some people might).

Finally, the ending of the move was really pretty powerful if you think about it, but it does not pack a defacto gut punch. You have to really sit think about what the movie was about and what it was trying to say, but when you do you realize that it made it’s point really well (IMHO).

Overall I enjoyed it. Not great, but good.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2006-07-12, 3:49 PM #5
i've been wanting to see it. and even more so the closer it gets because i've seen more info on it. I at first thought it was interesting but it seems as if it's going to deliever. the previews have gotten me excited :)
2006-07-12, 7:46 PM #6
Comes out on the 28th here. :( I'll definately go see it tough. I think the rotoscoping looks really good.

Also, I know this is the wrong thread, but Clerks 2 comes out in a week. Exciting times.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-07-12, 7:54 PM #7
Been waiting for a long time to see it.

I hope to go to see it within the week.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2006-07-12, 9:31 PM #8
This is one of those movies I really like. It's NOT going to be a fantastic "I'll always remember" movie, but it WON'T be a summer flop. It'll be one of the few movies that, sure, it's not the BEST thing to come out this year, but guess what? I don't feel like I need my money back. That's rare, at least, for me. I'm only guessing though, and I could very much hate it. I've just got a feeling, though. If it's anything like Waking Life, it'll be well worth it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-12, 9:38 PM #9
It sucks, because the closest theater showing it now is in Kansas City. Hopefully it'll have a wider release, because I'd really like to see it in a theater.
2006-07-13, 1:06 AM #10
Originally posted by JediKirby:
This is one of those movies I really like. It's NOT going to be a fantastic "I'll always remember" movie, but it WON'T be a summer flop. It'll be one of the few movies that, sure, it's not the BEST thing to come out this year, but guess what? I don't feel like I need my money back. That's rare, at least, for me. I'm only guessing though, and I could very much hate it. I've just got a feeling, though. If it's anything like Waking Life, it'll be well worth it.

I agree. I actually think I will really, really like this movie, but I also think part of that is just because I haven't actually looked forward to a movie in a LONG time, and most movies that have been coming out recently have either sucked or just not been my type of movie. In other words, I have been flocking to this movie like a moth because it's the only light I see in the near movie future.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2006-07-13, 1:13 AM #11
movie stuff

When you go to the movies, do people let you sit up front because you're a cripple?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-07-13, 1:22 AM #12
Haven't read the book, but that looks interesting.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-07-13, 5:45 AM #13
Originally posted by Emon:
When you go to the movies, do people let you sit up front because you're a cripple?

We have two levels of seating. I go in the middle. I can't bend my neck, so the immediate front sucks. The middle level is absolutely perfect, but people always like to take those handicapt seatings from me before I get there. If I can't sit in one of those seats, I'll make someone move.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-14, 10:04 PM #14
I was linked to this just a little while ago:
http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/670/670907/vids_1.html (IGN)

First 24 minutes of the movie. Looks good so far. The exchange at the end about the bicycle is absolutely hilarious.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-07-14, 10:06 PM #15
We have two levels of seating. I go in the middle. I can't bend my neck, so the immediate front sucks. The middle level is absolutely perfect, but people always like to take those handicapt seatings from me before I get there. If I can't sit in one of those seats, I'll make someone move.

With a shotgun.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-14, 10:19 PM #16
Rotoscoping? Or Flash animation gone horribly wrong? You decide.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2006-07-15, 12:53 AM #17
Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
I was linked to this just a little while ago:
http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/670/670907/vids_1.html (IGN)

First 24 minutes of the movie. Looks good so far. The exchange at the end about the bicycle is absolutely hilarious.

It's pretty much a downhill slide from there.

The rotoscoping is cool but not worth the price of admission.

↑ Up to the top!