Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Nightmares and Dreamscapes
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
2006-07-12, 11:15 PM #1
Just finished the first episode. It was pretty... well.
It wasn't really *scary*. There were some really creepy parts in the second one (I was out of the room for the title, but I think it's Crouch End), but let's go in order.
The first one, Battleground, is very much not not not based on Small Soldiers. In fact, when we read the story in English back in the day, we watched Small Soldiers as comparison because there was no movie about it.
It was interesting. Some good parts, the pacing was OK, some parts stretched credibility. I liked the vague fleshing out of the story. In the original, he's, like, wandering around this dead business man's place and finds the package, IIRC.
Anyone notice that he never said a word in the whole story? As far as I recall, not a single discernible word is spoken at all.
It didn't feel scary. It felt like a Twilight Zone episode. And so did the second one.
A somewhat creepy TZ episode.
The second one was kinda folksy feeling, very archetypal newlyweds-take-a-wrong-turn-and-end-up-in-a-bad-place. I did, however, like the seemingly arbitrary and misspelled-for-copyright-purposes Mythos name-dropping.
It's a lot scarier to hear that pronunciation of "Nyarlahotep" than my "Nyarlathotep", which is strange because it's just a slightly different infliction with a single different syllable.
The Vincent Price-esque voice may have contributed.
The creepy kids were OK. It woulda been better had they no eyes or something. That woulda made the "Gone down to the Goat with a Thousand Young" part even better.
And, on that note, the tentacle monster was poorly done. Admittedly, it's hard to do scary+broad daylight digitally, but it just looked fake. The face coming out and bleeding black was a nice touch, though.

-In conclusion, I say... not scary. Interesting, a little creepy at the end, but not scary.
2006-07-12, 11:21 PM #2
I didn't get to catch the first one, but I remember reading the short story a long while ago, and when my dad told me, I was like "haha, nice." He taped it though, so I'll see it later.

As for the second one... eh, it seemed a little conventional of the genre. I haven't read whatever it was based off of, though, so I don't know if that'd change my opinion or not. And did Stephen King really pay an omage to Lovecraft with the Cthulhu references?

I hope to catch the other ones as they air :)
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-07-12, 11:29 PM #3
King, like, many horror/fantasy/sci-fi/etc autheors, pays decent homage constantly to Hewlett-Packard Lovecraft. For instance, the character Randall Flagg, main villain of many stories, is a mask of/the actual original Nyarlathotep. In Kingdom Hospital, the extermination company is called LuvKraft Inc. (I had to read that, like, three times and say it out loud before I realized what it meant). Not to mention the general smattering of Lovecraftian imagery in various King stories.

-Pennywise comes to mind.
2006-07-13, 6:53 AM #4
Yeah, and "Yog-Sothoth Rules" written in Gaunt's warehouse (Needful Things.) That one cracked me up.
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998

↑ Up to the top!