Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Woot for wine
Woot for wine
2006-07-14, 8:21 PM #1
So, I was curious...
It works! I was very happy. I may have some jk fun again.

[http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/natebyers/snapshot1.png]

So to make this more interesting I'll add a poll.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2006-07-14, 8:38 PM #2
I tried to get JED again a while ago but the site wasn't working.

I don't know if it is now or not, but now my computer won't run any kind of game, so meh.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2006-07-14, 8:45 PM #3
I voted "never have" because my first released level (CeBit) and my second level (which I never actually released) do not count. However I'm actually thinking on starting to edit, with all the new mods and plugins available now, stretching JED into the realm of teh awesome.
幻術
2006-07-14, 8:50 PM #4
Just found my level, posted 06/12/02. Hah, got 101 downloads. Holy crap, it's been 4 years. Anyways, now that I see how terrible it is, will DEFINETLY start editing. Wanna play with all the new toys and make something that, you know, doesn't suck.
幻術
2006-07-14, 9:17 PM #5
I stink at editing everything. :(
2006-07-14, 9:47 PM #6
GTKradiant 4evar
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-07-14, 10:04 PM #7
Only game I've reallyl gotten into editing is, JO, and Radiant was pretty frickin' nice I'll admit.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-14, 10:16 PM #8
Now if only I could get JK to work in WINE. I get as far as loading the level, but then the screen blanks and I get untold numbers of d3d_surface errors. If anyone else wants to give it a try, there are instructions that seem to work for some people at http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=darkforces2. Check the permissions on the GOB files afterwards; that threw me off for awhile.

On a side note, for me the Sith2 prealpha works far better in WINE than it does in Windows.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2006-07-14, 10:30 PM #9
I stopped shortly after MLP3
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-07-15, 4:47 AM #10
i thought this thread was about the good stuff.

but nay, more crappy editing.
2006-07-15, 4:51 AM #11
Every once in a while. I prefer editing Deus Ex though and have edited since 2004 in UNATCO Born.

The age of a game doesn't stop me, if I felt like making a grand Duke Nukem 3D map I'd make one. So nowadays I don't feel like editing JK (or MotS to be honest) yet I want to get those projects finished some day, perhaps with a better engine et cetera.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-07-15, 5:43 AM #12
I did once upon a time, but sucked at it righteously.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-07-15, 6:48 AM #13
no
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-07-15, 7:37 AM #14
I quit editing jk like 3 years ago, just like my fellow FGR.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2006-07-16, 10:52 AM #15
I'm kinda angry at JK, because the converter for .dxf to .3do is NOT working.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-07-16, 11:03 AM #16
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]i thought this thread was about the good stuff.

but nay, more crappy editing.[/QUOTE]
nope.
2006-07-16, 11:25 AM #17
I made one good release, and the rest were crap. See sig.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-07-16, 1:55 PM #18
I thought you meant http://wine.woot.com/ :psyduck:
2006-07-24, 2:05 PM #19
Sorry to bump a kind of old thread, but
WIN

[http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/hyrax_of_love/Screenshot-3.jpg]

Wine version: 0.9.17
I had to use a Wine virtual desktop, as well as -windowgui and -displayconfig for jk.exe, then in setup -> display -> advanced I set it to "no_3d." It obviously is not optimal, and in Multiplayer I get no options (TCP/IP, Serial, etc). But now I may at least be able to test levels without booting back into Windows. JK on Linux, sort of!
2006-07-24, 2:29 PM #20
Why do so many linux users go through 900 pounds of hassle and retardicity to use one or two stupid windows programs?

Desktops are cheap as hell. Run both.
2006-07-24, 2:45 PM #21
It's not hard anymore, they just like to make it sound really hard so people will think they are smart, hardcore Linux users.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-07-24, 2:52 PM #22
Originally posted by Rob:
Why do so many linux users go through 900 pounds of hassle and retardicity to use one or two stupid windows programs?

You know, I'm not really sure myself. I mean, it makes sense if you have some program you need that has no Linux equivalent but works fine through Wine, but fiddling around to get something barely working? Doesn't seem worth it. However, "cheap as hell" is in the eye of the beholder, and with Wine you can hopefully avoid the hassle of having to have Windows installed or messing with multiple computers. But you do have a point. I only recently started using Linux, figuring that I could use it for everything I normally do except JK, and what do I spend an inordinate amount of my Linux time doing? Trying to get JK to run. At least it wasn't entirely fruitless.
2006-07-24, 3:05 PM #23
Originally posted by Emon:
It's not hard anymore, they just like to make it sound really hard so people will think they are smart, hardcore Linux users.

True, most things aren't all that difficult. I just like to provide details because it frustrates me to no end when I find people who have circumvented the problems I'm having but provide no details as to how.
2006-07-24, 3:11 PM #24
OBoooooob00o0wwwwww

eeeeeeeeeeekkk qqq
2006-07-24, 6:04 PM #25
Originally posted by money•bie:
OBoooooob00o0wwwwww

eeeeeeeeeeekkk qqq

Interesting observation. Please explain how you managed to do this and what new discoveries can be found.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-07-24, 7:28 PM #26
There's been multiple threads on how to do this by now...

Just make sure you turn on all the OpenGL rendering options for JED, and it runs awesomely.

↑ Up to the top!