Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Free games, that DON'T suck.
Free games, that DON'T suck.
2006-07-17, 11:35 PM #1
Some games I have found that are FUN, FUNCTIONAL, and FREE

TPS (third person shooter) GUNZ, [url]www.gunzonline.com[/url] has some issues for people who are online with ISPs that portblock... fun game, I like it, good level system, nice set of weapons and exp. Only problem is the cheap shotters.

Second is Silkroad, a Direct X 9.0c using MMORPG that is free, they make their money off the item mall, where people pay real money to get good items sooner in the game... but everything is obtainable for free, via in-game money. [url]www.silkroadonline.net[/url]

Just thought Id share. If anyone joins Silkroad, play on Venice server and we can make a Massassi Guild!
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2006-07-17, 11:54 PM #2
I played silkroad a while ago, the grind get's to be completely unbearable at higher levels.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2006-07-17, 11:59 PM #3
grind?
2006-07-18, 12:09 AM #4
Grind: Killing the same mob or group of mob's over and over again in order to reach the next level so you can do one or two quests, find a new group of mobs with better exp, and start grinding again...

Grinding is pretty standard in most MMO’s these days, and is the #1 reason why I really don’t get into them too any more. Even Gunz (you mentioned above) has quite a bit of grinding as people do all they can (kill trading, playing only on maps with better EXP bonuses… blah blah blah,) so they can just reach the next level.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either

2006-07-18, 12:19 AM #5
Ground Control and the first two GTA games are free these days.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-18, 5:33 AM #6
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
TPS (third person shooter) GUNZ, [url]www.gunzonline.com[/url] has some issues for people who are online with ISPs that portblock... fun game, I like it, good level system, nice set of weapons and exp. Only problem is the cheap shotters.

Oh please. ;) Daggers aren't noobish, getting hit by one is. They're really easy to avoid.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-07-18, 6:46 AM #7
Gunz Online is pathetically bad.

A. Hacking is a HUGE problem now.
B. Once people get rocket launchers, the gameplay becomes stale.
C. It tends to lag for no apparent reason.
D. Did I mention the hacks?
2006-07-18, 6:51 AM #8
Cave Story
Freeware platformer with lots of cool weapons and items, starts off pretty straightforward but then starts to get immense.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-07-18, 7:54 AM #9
stick arena at xgenstudios.com is pretty sweet
2006-07-18, 8:04 AM #10
They both look pretty sweet. I'll try out the silkroads one first.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2006-07-18, 8:26 AM #11
http://www.megagames.com/news/html/freegames/freegames.shtml
2006-07-18, 9:10 AM #12

Penumbra :O
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-07-18, 9:12 AM #13
To be fair a slight bit though, Gunz is still a beta.
nope.
2006-07-18, 9:59 AM #14
Gunz isnt that bad about hacking, you find a person maybe once every 5 or 6 games. They usually get kicked though. Daggers are cheap because you get stabbed by some moron while youre trying to fight other people, and all that moron does is the stab move til he hits someone then shoots them on the ground. I always try to kill people who are shooting at me, with the sword... insult to injury.
2006-07-18, 10:11 AM #15
Its still not cheap, keep in mind in a death match arena you always have to look out for everyone even if you are in a focused fight with just one person. The dagger move takes a bit of a charge up animation before the player moves forward making it easy to dodge of constantly moving or watching out for it. Gunz online now has released a ton of patches making it much better for non-hackers, although I did unload a ton of ammo on a guy once and he didn't die. Maybe I just lagged or had a weak gun or I probably suck :p
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-07-18, 10:48 AM #16
Originally posted by Detty:
Cave Story
Freeware platformer with lots of cool weapons and items, starts off pretty straightforward but then starts to get immense.

Just wanted to second this; awesome game.

Then there is:

Warning Forever

http://www18.big.or.jp/~hikoza/Prod/

Basically you fight a boss each level, and it adapts to your play style. Attack from the front, it grows longer. Attack the missle launchers, it puts more, etc.

(z to fire, d to focus shots)

Decker

http://www.caro.net/dsi/decker/

This one here is a RPG that places you as an up-and-coming hacker. Fairly fun.

rRootage

Vertical shooter simulator, can use different play modes from Ikuraga to GW.

(z to fire, x to use whatever special there is in the mode)

Return to Blockland

http://returntoblockland.com/

All the flaws blockland had, pretty much fixed. A huge slew of new peices, innovative peice select system, the ability to make movable blocks ranging from cars to doors, it's blockland perfected.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.
2006-07-18, 11:01 AM #17
Originally posted by Detty:
Cave Story

Cave Story is totally awesome.

If you liked cave story, you should also try Eternal Daughter. Another Freeware 2D platformer with awesome story, sound, and gameplay, only much much harder that Cave Story and with a higher pixle-count graphical set.

2006-07-18, 11:23 AM #18
Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory! A fun, free FPS online game. It only has 6 maps to begin with, but, hey, its free.

And Soldat, a 2-D shooter.

[url]www.soldat.pl[/url]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-07-18, 11:44 AM #19
Originally posted by tinny:
Its still not cheap, keep in mind in a death match arena you always have to look out for everyone even if you are in a focused fight with just one person. The dagger move takes a bit of a charge up animation before the player moves forward making it easy to dodge of constantly moving or watching out for it. Gunz online now has released a ton of patches making it much better for non-hackers, although I did unload a ton of ammo on a guy once and he didn't die. Maybe I just lagged or had a weak gun or I probably suck :p

It's not cheap if you use it once, but most of the people that use it, dont even walk around, they move from place to place by stabbing with the dagger.... its all they do until they hit someone. Why even play.
2006-07-18, 11:54 AM #20
Originally posted by Baconfish:
To be fair a slight bit though, Gunz is still a beta.

I don't think it'll ever leave beta. It's been in "beta" for like over a year.
2006-07-18, 11:55 AM #21
Originally posted by Echoman:
Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory! A fun, free FPS online game. It only has 6 maps to begin with, but, hey, its free.

Soooooo true. Amazing game.
2006-07-18, 12:33 PM #22
I wish gunz international had quest mode... thatd be cool.
2006-07-18, 2:40 PM #23
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
Penumbra :O

Penumbra
Amazing.
2006-07-18, 3:08 PM #24
.kkreiger

-That is all.
2006-07-18, 3:29 PM #25
http://www.gametoast.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2437
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2006-07-18, 3:49 PM #26
Originally posted by saberopus:
Soooooo true. Amazing game.

Most addicting ever. I finally deleted that cursed thing.
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2006-07-18, 4:20 PM #27
I thought Enemy Territory was ****ing terrible. Unpleasant graphics (pink explosions??), limited weapon selection, choppy network code (or whatever it was that gave me lag issues despite having 50-60 ping).
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2006-07-18, 4:22 PM #28
Foobilliard

Strange Attractors
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2006-07-18, 4:32 PM #29
Originally posted by Acharjay:
Unpleasant graphics (pink explosions??), limited weapon selection, choppy network code (or whatever it was that gave me lag issues despite having 50-60 ping).

Since I like Enemy Territory, I've decided to pick apart your post.

1. Pink explosions? Oh, you mean when a bright white and orange explosion fades out and there's a little bit of pink left? SO unpleasant.

2. Limited weapon selection. I sort of agree, but that's not the point of this game. It's meant to have balanced multiplayer, not a ton of silly weapons like CS.

3. Uh, it's about the same as any other Quake III based game. Infact, better most of the time. Find a better server or get a better ISP.

4. You don't know what you're talking about and are judging a good, FREE game based on a few nitpicks.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-07-18, 5:00 PM #30
ET was aweosme. I played way toom uch of that game a couple of years back.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-18, 5:13 PM #31
I'm going for the Spur and the Bloody Holy Grounds in Cave Story. Wish me luck.

-A few days back I actually got an unusual urge to model the Polaris... weirdest thing... I almost did, too.
2006-07-18, 6:50 PM #32
Dink Smallwood. Really. In more ways than one it's community is like Massassi, still going strong and editing despite the game being released in 1997. They even released a big community-made patch for it a couple of months ago.

http://www.dinknetwork.com/
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-07-18, 7:07 PM #33

is that so...... how about this one "only those you trust can decieve you.."
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2006-07-19, 12:25 PM #34
Originally posted by Emon:
Since I like Enemy Territory, I've decided to pick apart your post.

You know what, the main reason for me not liking the game is probably because I'd been playing Day of Defeat for 2 or 3 years before I tried ET.

And sure, the nitpicks might be trivial, but when they all team up and assault me at once, I don't have fun.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2006-07-19, 3:08 PM #35
Progress Quest :D
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2006-07-19, 6:33 PM #36
.kkrieger is attached to this post.
The whole game.
Seriously.

-I mispelled it earlier, apparently.
Attachment: 13250/kkrieger-beta.zip (100,185 bytes)
2006-07-19, 6:46 PM #37
Originally posted by Acharjay:
You know what, the main reason for me not liking the game is probably because I'd been playing Day of Defeat for 2 or 3 years before I tried ET.

And sure, the nitpicks might be trivial, but when they all team up and assault me at once, I don't have fun.

They are completely different games. ET has class specific objectives while DoD just requires capping control points.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!