Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Who missed me?
Who missed me?
2006-07-19, 5:14 PM #1
I wake up friday morning to see that my lovely computer is on a looping boot sequence. It reaches the end of the boot sequence and plays 2 rounds of the XPPro loading screen, then goes back to the beginning of the boot sequence. I do everything I can manage from the BIOS menu, and a few things with my fist, and nothing worked.

So I called around. I already knew what the problem was: The Boot sector of the hard drive was obviously dead, but I didn't have my own hard drive to test that theory with, so I had to get someone else.

One guy tried to tell me I needed a whole new PC, and that the whole thing needed to be scrapped. His company name was "The Computer Guy" and I told him that he was Fing crazy. He apparently agreed by screeming at me for 5 minutes. I'm sure he screamed longer, but didn't realize I'd already hung up.

I finally found a place that'd fix that problem for 25 bucks, the cheapest out of everyone.

I bring it in on monday, because I had no means of bringing it in on friday. This happens to be the same weekend my girlfriend is gone, so I basically have NOTHING to do, and it's at least 100 degrees out (This is the hottest weekend of the the summer) each day, and I have overheating problems. I DID shoot a wedding on saturday for free (Charity for my boss who's trying to get a new lighting system. I wasn't editing, and camera operation is easy peasy.) but that's ALL I did constructively.

[tmi]You'd be AMAZING what you think about without something to do. I discovered a new hobbie: Bonzai Balls . I haven't jammed my razor like that since I shaved after 3 months without.[/tmi]

Anyway, they fix it, but tell me the obvious: I need a new HD. They offer to put in a new HDD (200 vs my 120 gig) and ghost over my files for 180 bucks. I didn't know of any ghosting software myself, and really didn't want to deal with worrying about plugging a computer in and whatnot. Best Buy had a 120 gig offer for 50 bucks, and I wanted to get 2, but I remembered that the expansion bay on my box is crappy, and I'd need to get a new plate for the outside to make it all work.

To add insult to injury, JSM is tomorrow, so I was desperate. I felt like I was paying someone to whipe my *** for me, something I myself could do just as well as they could. I know people with ghosting software that I could have used. But it all would have taken time. Hmph.

Anyway, I'm back. Someone fill me in on all of the juicy celebrity gossip!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-19, 5:46 PM #2
Ouch.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-19, 5:46 PM #3
I sure didn't.

... nah, J/K :D Welcome back :)
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-07-19, 5:50 PM #4
Never even heard of you.
2006-07-19, 6:00 PM #5
You were gone?
2006-07-19, 6:01 PM #6
I noticed your absence, thought you'd gone on vacation or something.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-07-19, 6:03 PM #7
Jedi What?
Think while it's still legal.
2006-07-19, 6:04 PM #8
WHO IS THIS MAN?

:v:
2006-07-19, 6:08 PM #9
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]You were gone?[/QUOTE]
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-07-19, 6:10 PM #10
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]Jedi What?[/QUOTE]

You know, the *other* massassian with a nintendo name. Not to be confused with the other one who calls everyone an idiot if they disagree with him :)

(Yoshi, I'm kidding when I say that.)
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-07-19, 6:17 PM #11
see you tommorrow, littleman

are we seating near each other again this year? (if so, save a spot, maybe?)

uh.. yarr, n stuff
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-07-19, 6:22 PM #12
You left? I just thought maybe your wheelchair broke and you fell into the toilet or something.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-07-19, 6:23 PM #13
I think I heard someone say Zloc was complaining that he wasn't getting any. :v:
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-07-19, 6:44 PM #14
Yes Genk, I'll save you a spot. Bringing the woman?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-19, 6:49 PM #15
we broke up the other day, tell you sometime this weekend
Free Jin!
2006-07-19, 6:52 PM #16
Oooh... ouch. Sorry man. I'm bringing mine, and I'm sure she'll be delighted to sit on a little emo-boys lap while I play CSS.

I ALMOST thought I wouldn't have to bare you hogging all the women with your sexy grin and boyish charm. Damn you and your seduction! It's a lan party for christ's sake!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-19, 6:57 PM #17
it is forever my task to break Sarah up and steal her.

did i ever tell you i have CSS and can run it, newish comp yay

i'm thinking of stopping at bestbuy and grabbing some RAM beforehand too
Free Jin!
2006-07-19, 7:18 PM #18
Hahaha. LAN parties are when people upgrade, and never any other time. Why is that?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-19, 7:19 PM #19

Ashley didn't notice either.
2006-07-20, 2:01 AM #20
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Hahaha. LAN parties are when people upgrade, and never any other time. Why is that?

they notice everything is running badly enough for them to care?
Free Jin!
2006-07-20, 2:04 AM #21
You were gone?

Welcome back, then :P
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-07-20, 8:45 AM #22
i had a dream kirby messaged me on MSN. it was surreal because kirby never messages me on MSN....
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-07-20, 8:52 AM #23
Your computer wouldn't have reached the XP Pro loading screen if the hard drive boot sector was dead, since the boot sector already transfered control to the operating system. Sounds like a reinstall of Windows would be sufficient (just make sure to select the "DON'T FORMAT" option on the XP Pro install CD and you should be good). Did you try that before shelling out $$$? Did you try safe mode?

Unless you mean the XP boot loader, in which case it's possible the Windows partition's boot sector is bad or something... but even then I'd think you could size the partition around it...

2006-07-20, 12:26 PM #24
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]Your computer wouldn't have reached the XP Pro loading screen if the hard drive boot sector was dead, since the boot sector already transfered control to the operating system. Sounds like a reinstall of Windows would be sufficient (just make sure to select the "DON'T FORMAT" option on the XP Pro install CD and you should be good). Did you try that before shelling out $$$? Did you try safe mode?

Unless you mean the XP boot loader, in which case it's possible the Windows partition's boot sector is bad or something... but even then I'd think you could size the partition around it...[/QUOTE]

I bet if he tries safe mode, the last thing loaded and will be stuck on is Myp.sys (the infamous Myp.sys problem. Has nothing to do with Myp.sys, just gets in a booting loop.).

I had the same problem.
2006-07-20, 12:37 PM #25
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-07-20, 12:37 PM #26
Were you gone?
2006-07-20, 1:37 PM #27
Originally posted by Emon:
You left? I just thought maybe your wheelchair broke and you fell into the toilet or something.

That would be a horrible way to die.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-07-20, 4:18 PM #28
aaaaaaand I'm here, and that little crotchsocket isn't wheeling around. hobo
Free Jin!
2006-07-21, 7:48 PM #29
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
I think I heard someone say Zloc was complaining that he wasn't getting any. :v:

Yeah. I had no one to give me intelligent conversation whilst playing a sexy game of tag in my bedroom.

Stupid midget.
I had a blog. It sucked.

↑ Up to the top!