Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → my space music = evil
my space music = evil
2006-07-19, 7:12 PM #1
hello, this is a warning to all of you who have bands on my space or friends with bands on my space. in the disclaimer it says that after a certain date my space has unconditional rights to our music, and can use it in anyway they choose, and with a nulification on all royalties and credit etc.

my band has deleted their my space, i suggest that you all take heed to this warning as most of us never read disclaimers.
The day i tried to live,
I hung out on the powerlines
and let the martyrs stretch.
2006-07-19, 7:14 PM #2
That's been brought up before, I guess we just figure our music sucks too much for Rupert Murdoch to want it anyway. :P
2006-07-19, 7:17 PM #3
Wow, what the hell? That's cheap. I wonder if we can get enough of us to get off of it for them to give us back our rights?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-19, 7:29 PM #4
It's not hard to believe.
2006-07-19, 7:39 PM #5
According to SPIN magazine, that's not what they mean but I'm not sure how they meant it any other way. I would delete my band's myspace, but it's too convenient and much too important to what we do now... unfortunately.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-07-19, 8:29 PM #6
I want to see this in writing.
2006-07-19, 11:09 PM #7
Interesting. Any good articles about this?
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-07-19, 11:16 PM #8
Originally posted by JimmyLuthor:
hello, this is a warning to all of you who have bands on my space or friends with bands on my space. in the disclaimer it says that after a certain date my space has unconditional rights to our music, and can use it in anyway they choose, and with a nulification on all royalties and credit etc.

I would like to see myspace back this up in court.

Last time I checked, you can't get ownership of something by simply declaring it.

If it works that way, then I hereby declare that the sun belongs to me and you have to pay me a royalty for your continued usage of sunlight. Failure to do so will result in a brutal beating with a sack full of rocks.

Has anything changed since my declaration? Probably not.
2006-07-20, 2:51 AM #9
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
I would like to see myspace back this up in court.

Last time I checked, you can't get ownership of something by simply declaring it.

If it works that way, then I hereby declare that the sun belongs to me and you have to pay me a royalty for your continued usage of sunlight. Failure to do so will result in a brutal beating with a sack full of rocks.

Has anything changed since my declaration? Probably not.

That's a pretty bad example, though. They're declaring ownership of material that users have basically agreed to hand over to them when they signed up for membership. At least, that's what I've gathered from this thread.

Not that I agree with it, anyway. It's pretty underhanded, especially if they don't give anything back.
2006-07-20, 7:35 AM #10
Originally posted by JimmyLuthor:

my band has deleted their my space, i suggest that you all take heed to this warning as most of us never read disclaimers.

That's why you don't put full length songs up.. Go to the page of any mainstream, well known band. They only have about 30 second clips up, and only a tiny selection of either their well known or mediocre songs.

And in the disclaimer, although I havn't read it, I'm pretty sure it's not going to be as broad as to claim complete ownership to all your music... they're not a record company. They're just getting rights to whatever you put on your space. So, if you're putting up 30 second clips of songs that are good but not your absolute best, then how are you losing?
You Can't Kill What You Can't See
-Beware of the FantomJedi
2006-07-20, 8:21 AM #11
Originally posted by LividDK27:
That's a pretty bad example, though. They're declaring ownership of material that users have basically agreed to hand over to them when they signed up for membership. At least, that's what I've gathered from this thread.

Not that I agree with it, anyway. It's pretty underhanded, especially if they don't give anything back.

In that case, it would be different, then.

However, the bands should have known better than to agree to those terms just for a crappy myspace account.
2006-07-20, 8:33 AM #12
Uh, it's definitely a hoax. Tom himself stated it was a ploy on his message board.

Edit: Anovis FTW.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2006-07-20, 12:43 PM #13
[quote=MySpace.com Terms of Use]#6 Proprietary Rights in Content on MySpace.com.

1. MySpace.com does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post to the MySpace Services. After posting your Content to the MySpace Services, you continue to retain all ownership rights in such Content, and you continue to have the right to use your Content in any way you choose. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the MySpace Services, you hereby grant to MySpace.com a limited license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such Content solely on and through the MySpace Services.

Without this license, MySpace.com would be unable to provide the MySpace Services. For example, without the right to modify Member Content, MySpace.com would not be able to digitally compress music files that Members submit or otherwise format Content to satisfy technical requirements, and without the right to publicly perform Member Content, MySpace.com could not allow Users to listen to music posted by Members. The license you grant to MySpace.com is non-exclusive (meaning you are free to license your Content to anyone else in addition to MySpace.com), fully-paid and royalty-free (meaning that MySpace.com is not required to pay you for the use on the MySpace Services of the Content that you post), sublicensable (so that MySpace.com is able to use its affiliates and subcontractors such as Internet content delivery networks to provide the MySpace Services), and worldwide (because the Internet and the MySpace Services are global in reach). This license will terminate at the time you remove your Content from the MySpace Services. The license does not grant MySpace.com the right to sell your Content, nor does the license grant MySpace.com the right to distribute your Content outside of the MySpace Services.[/quote]

MySpace.com Terms of Use

Please reasearch thoroughly next time.
2006-07-20, 1:50 PM #14
Originally posted by FantomJedi:
Go to the page of any mainstream, well known band. They only have about 30 second clips up...

....which bands myspaces are you going to?
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-07-20, 1:56 PM #15
That's exactly what I was going to ask.
nope.
2006-07-20, 2:52 PM #16
Myspace is owned by News Corp., so it's evil anyway.
2006-07-20, 3:10 PM #17
So you deleted your band's page for nothing? Good going.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2006-07-20, 3:15 PM #18
Yep. He sure showed them.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-20, 10:48 PM #19
'you hereby grant to MySpace.com a limited license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such Content '

UltimatePotato: So you deleted your band's page for nothing? Good going.
Avenger : Yep. He sure showed them.

avenger and ultimate potato.

you sure showed me you can't read
The day i tried to live,
I hung out on the powerlines
and let the martyrs stretch.
2006-07-20, 10:54 PM #20
Limited license is no where near unconditional rights, chief. All the entire thing says is that you allow them to compress the file for use on the web and that they don't have to pay you to use the music. That said, I proved that I can read. Care to try to do the same?
Pissed Off?
2006-07-20, 11:49 PM #21
Quote:
The license does not grant MySpace.com the right to sell your Content

And I think that's the most important part about it.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-07-21, 12:39 AM #22
Originally posted by Schming:
....which bands myspaces are you going to?

Well I've only ever visted a few band pages, I'm not really a muso. But of those few, I never got a full song. Now that I think about it, I'm a dial up user so maybe they just hadn't loaded or something. I guess I just assumed they only put clips up.
You Can't Kill What You Can't See
-Beware of the FantomJedi

↑ Up to the top!