Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Am I a politician?
Am I a politician?
2006-07-19, 7:13 PM #1
LONG post, but I REALLY need your opinions. PLEASE try to avoid the "Haha, Kirby can't be a politican." I think I've provided enough support to show that I am at least smart enough to do something.

Politician

My town is relatively small. It’s one of the more pivotal towns in the area, as we control most of the shipping to the iron range and Canada, as well as our major tourist import. The politics in this city are slower than molasses, and in the past 2 or 3 years, I’ve taken a hand in helping jump-start our town. I’ve attended several town hall meetings, receiving applaud in almost all of my speeches against or for the many different causes, and have become a thorn in a lot of people’s agendas. I also took a large hammer to our school board to fix some utterly disturbing policies and regulations that really gave the school district too much control over matters they shouldn’t have ANY meddling in.

My latest endeavor is a push to rewrite our cities constitution which has become VERY outdated, and is a joke to a lot of people in the city. It’s got laws about horses on main roads in it, it’s so old. A number of my arguments for rewriting it have been very well received by very important people in the city. None of this is official, but I have definitely been in contact with them, and have their personal approval to bring it to the city council with confidence that I will be backed.

I have also put together a list of suggested changes to the constitution that gives the city council more action power, removing the re-evaluation periods that force all and every project to be held back for so many years that a whole new set of officials is in office, and a project has to be re-evaluated AGAIN by the new city council with ANOTHER re-evaluation period, causing a very annoying cycle that is, I think, built in so that the City Council can avoid responsibility and action, giving the people a false sense of control.

Currently, only the Mayor can make any decision at all that is final, and he only has to have majority signatures on his decision by the city council. The problem is, the Mayor doesn’t hear people’s opinions, and therefore only creates bills and decisions that he sees fit.

I also have problems with the implied powers of the mayor that allow him to bypass the council on issues that frighten the hell out of me. He can use a few loopholes, if he really doesn’t want to stay in office, to control the whole city without a word from the City Council. Our current mayor is on his way out the door because of his drinking problems, and although we’re good friends, it worries me that he knows he has implied powers that he can use in the last few months to get a lock on our city so that the Democratic candidate wins the next election.

Why am I telling you all of this? Well, it seems 2 or 3 of the City Council members, the Mayor, and a handful of well known faces/names in our community have secretly put together the 100 or whatever signatures that someone needs to apply for a city council position. I am very well known around town, and I’m sure it wasn’t hard at all.

The problem? I don’t know if I really WANT to be a City Council member. I’ve never really supported Republican OR Democratic views in our politics so far, and have really only tried to make the system work better. I’m NOT really interested in politics, and only see what I’ve done so far as a way to give our city more control over what our officials do. Even my school board/city council speeches were oriented towards freedom of ideals, not democratic or republican ideals.

To these people, that might be a fantastic characteristic for me to have: Neutrality. But what happens when an issue that I am NOT neutral on comes up? These people have only seen me debate in the situations that I believe freedom of ideas is important. They don’t know my stances on ANYTHING but the stances I choose to make public.

And I’ll be honest: I don’t KNOW that much about politics. I only understand the basic premise of the bills we try to pass. Granted, city bills and decisions aren’t all that elaborate, and every city council meeting I’ve sat in on, I’ve been easily able to follow, understand, and agree/disagree on. I could learn, but I don’t know that I want to.

Put it this way: I’m going to college for 4 years in Chicago. If I come back, they’ll beg me to be on the council again, as Donny Ness, the person who I’m most compared to (There’s a dwarf on the City Council who I’m also compared to as well) because of our young age and naturalistic ideas, will be forced to resign just as I’m getting back into town to settle down.

The thing is, because of my interest in disabilities rights, as well as social security reform, I almost want to take this with the hopes of moving up to something like the Mayor. I like the idea of being able to bring some realism and reality into what feels to me a highschool hockey game, one side republican and one side democrat, and the people yelling for their kids to win. I’m sick of the win/lose concept, and I really do think I could bring something the council, but I don’t know if I’m the sort of person who’d enjoy being a politician, nor do I know if I’m capable.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-19, 7:49 PM #2
you were right. That is a long post. (can't be bothered to read it right now, but I probably will later)

But if you wanted to be a politician, I'm sure you could manage it, but you'll need to learn how to not say things that could potentially offend people. (I'll read the rest of you post later, so if this has no relevance, just ignore)
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-07-19, 7:54 PM #3
To be a good politician, you have to be able to see the subsequent outcomes of any decisions that are made. You have to predict possible future problems and help devise 'Plan of Action' for preparing for the event of said problems. You also need to be able to fully evaluate the economics of the decisions that are made. Of that, you really have to spend time 'on the street' determaining where any economic pitfalls may exist and possible solutions for overcoming them.

The single most largest problem in most government bodies today are debts. If you can contribute ideas for lowering or eliminating the city's debt, then it'll help you rise that much faster.

Just some constructive thoughts...
"The solution is simple."
2006-07-19, 8:18 PM #4
I think there's no doubt in anyone's mind you have the ability to go into politics; what, after all, have people been telling you for years? The question is solely whether or not you want to. You could make a positive difference in so many ways, but would you rather persue one of your other interests than that's the way you should go. It is hard to say yes or no at this point but I don't know what else to tell you.
My Signature
2006-07-19, 8:59 PM #5
They'll pay you right? What's the worst that can happen. You'll just be able to do what you are already trying to do more effectively and you'll get compensation for it. The mayor and the rest of the city council know what they're doing. They wouldn't offer if they didn't think you could do it. It's a good opportunity; go for it. Also, if you stick to common sense and your job and avoid party line idiocy, I think people will really love you for it. The government needs more people like you. It's the only way things will get done.

If you do your job well people will see through the party line crap. If you can get them to do that, they'll really love you.
2006-07-19, 9:08 PM #6
You must live in a very small town.
2006-07-19, 9:27 PM #7
Dude, that's so cool. It's like the story to an RPG or something. ;)
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-07-19, 9:42 PM #8
Sweet! My first (potential) Congressman I can buy off!

If you're going to go into any elected office, you are definitely going to have be interested in politics. Otherwise you'll never be voted. You have a lot of ideas but that doesn't mean that some other bloke has his own ideas. You have to convince the masses that your ideas will do a better job of solving the problems than the other guy. Politics is something that really can't be taught. You're either good at it or you're not. If you're still in high school and your high school has a chapter, join the Junior State of America. It is a WONDERFUL organization for aspiring politicians. I throughly enjoyed all four years of being in that organization. You WILL learn the ways and wonders of politics.

Personally, I would wait a while. Go to college, get involved in political organizations @ college. This way, you'll see if the game of politics really is your liking. I actually ran for underclass rep. @ college. But I chicken****ted my way out because I didn't have the self-confidence. A decision I'm regretting. That's another aspect of politics, you need self-confidence. When I get a boost of confidence, I'm on a tear.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-07-19, 9:48 PM #9
Well, confidence really isn't an issue for me. And I'm definetly good at politics. I've stood up to our evil looking fat lady on the city council who always shoots down ideas based on the grounds that it's "Really too much work" to do ANYTHING. Ironic that she's obesce.

Oh, and these aren't opinions I hold secretly. I've publicaly said that I disliked this woman's lazy habits, and her aparent waste of a city council seat. Everyone seems to agree with me.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-19, 9:48 PM #10
I think what you're studying in college might have something to do with this decision. I take it your not going into political science since you said you aren't interested in Politics.

So if you're not studying polital science, when would you be able to do City Council? You're moving to Chicago very soon, and going to be gone for four years, yes? Afterwards, I assume you'll be attempting to find a job and/or get a master's degree... right? If that's the case, then I wouldn't bother with city council. Use your extra time toward academics.
2006-07-19, 9:55 PM #11
Well you don't have to be a poli sci major to go into politics. I'm a comp. sci major and I have a great interest in politics. I'm always (well to the best of ability) trying to keep up-to-date with today's issues--and arguing with liberals :P

That's another thing. I love to argue. Something that my entire family can attest. Although constant arguing leads to complacency and that's bad.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-07-19, 10:10 PM #12
Yeah, I didn't say major though. I just meant if Jedikirby is studying Poli sci at all (major, minor, or just as an interested topic) should affect his decision. Mainly what I was triyng to get at is that you should do the City Council thing if you think it will benefit you and your career. What you spend your time doing in the next four years will be of the utmost importance :)
2006-07-20, 5:40 AM #13
paint yourself black first, nobody will disagree with a black cripple.
2006-07-20, 6:02 AM #14
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Am I a politician?

Sorry, but no.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-07-20, 7:48 AM #15
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]paint yourself black first, nobody will disagree with a black cripple.[/QUOTE]
black midget cripple
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-07-20, 7:53 AM #16
Studying political science and being political are two completely separate things, in response to Warehouse.

I don't know what your small town is like, but I don't think Republican/Democrat is quite as important in local politics as it is nationally. They may be "divided" on issues, but it surely isn't as cleancut as say, two presidential candidates discussing social security reform. If you're disinterested in politics, that probably just means you're a qualified candidate.
2006-07-20, 8:02 AM #17
His area is heavyset Democrat. People will ignoring him if he declares Republican, I recomend Independent, go the Ventura way
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-07-20, 8:03 AM #18
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Am I a politician?

No.

↑ Up to the top!