Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Need advice on getting a cheap cell phone plan...
Need advice on getting a cheap cell phone plan...
2004-06-26, 3:13 PM #1
...Ok, here is the story. Ever since my mother switch over to night shift, my father wants to get the whole family each a cell phone for use for emergency because the two of them won't be home no later than 12 'o clock. I personally think having a cell phone only for use in a "emergency" and nothing else is a waste of money. No one in my family (except my sister but she is married) are big on using phones (I NEVER use the phone. It is EXTREMELY rare that I do.) so what is the point of paying like 30 bucks or more a month for something we won't ever use?

Anyway, that gripe aside, I've been ordered to look around for a good cell phone plan that would be cheap. Maybe something with not a lot of minutes per month. It has to be pretty cheap and available in the Riverside, CA area (zip is 92504) so if you guys know of any good deals, let me know.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-06-26, 3:39 PM #2
I don't think there are many plans that go for less than $20 a month, but you might look at a family plan that lets you pick and plan, add extra phones to the plan for $10 while sharing minutes. All the major providers have those.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-06-26, 4:16 PM #3
You might also want to look into prepaid, that can be really cheap, and you can pick how many minutes you use.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-06-26, 5:44 PM #4
If you're hardly ever going to use it, get a pre-paid. Pre-paid credit usually lasts for several years.

The only thing about pre-paid is you're looking at an initial outlay of a bit for buying the phones outright and then buying credit for each phone, but as long as you dont buy anything too snazzy it shouldnt be too big of an outlay.

The other good thing about pre-paid is if one of you is using too much credit they can easily switch over to a plan, where as if you're on a plan which you never use, you're pretty much stuck with it. Yeah, go pre-paid [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited June 26, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-06-26, 11:31 PM #5
Pay-as-you-go, if they offer it. I know they do here, and it's a hell of a lot better than contract phones. Plus, you only use the money you put on it, say, £10 over here, and you pay for calls using that.

------------------
[ Massassiism ] [ Cynicism ] [ Fanaticism ]
Sell your soul for a cookie?
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-06-27, 2:34 AM #6
Look into a Virgin phone, they have prepaid minute plans. Essentially, you pay for x amount of minutes once, and then you use the phone until your minutes are up, and then you buy more.

That would be the best plan for you, it seems.

------------------
[16:38] Correction: dick tracy was a real man
[16:38] happydud: Actually... He wasn't. :D
[19:08] Dormouse: hi, my name's happydud and i'm passive-aggress.. SHUTUP!! *stabs nearby orphan*
[You have gained 3 Dark Side Points]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-06-27, 2:45 AM #7
I pay zero (0) per month plus calls, SMS and MMS messages (none of which are overly expensive).

This is one of the good things about it being illegal in Finland for operators to bundle a locked phone (a mobile phone on which you can only use their SIM card) with their subscription.

[Edit] And this is a normal (as opposed to prepaid) plan, by the way. [/edit]

[This message has been edited by Krokodile (edited June 27, 2004).]
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-06-27, 1:28 PM #8
yeah, probably prepaid is the way to go if you're just wanting something for emergencies... Then you don't have to pay anything per month, just get about 20 minutes per phone and recharge them if necessary... (or whatever... Not sure how it works, but that's probably the best idea).

------------------
Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin
http://www.writings-emag.net The next big thing since individually wrapped cheese slices (coming soon).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-06-27, 4:29 PM #9
yeah, what they said. get a verizon pre-paid though, they seem to have the best coverage.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT

↑ Up to the top!