Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Deal or No Deal Auditions
Deal or No Deal Auditions
2006-07-21, 12:57 PM #1
So yeah...I'm working from 6 to 6+ doing DOND auditions. We're expecting about 5,000 people. I'll be one of 7 cameras filming 30 second interviews of a seventh of that 5,000. So that's roughly 714 people.
DISCLAIMER: This is just armchair observation, not the result of many hours of deliberate study of the subject. I'm by no means an expert, but just an ignorant hick who's putting his two cents in. For that and a nickel, you can have a cup of coffee.
2006-07-21, 12:59 PM #2
Ooh, that sounds fun.
2006-07-21, 1:16 PM #3
What kind of money are you making?
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-07-21, 1:24 PM #4
Originally posted by Sol:

teh green kind!

:v:
2006-07-21, 1:26 PM #5
just dont over work yourself, but have fun doing that! :D
2006-07-21, 1:45 PM #6
Originally posted by Sol:

I wish time and a half, but since I'm only part-time, it's gonna be regular wage. But it could be the same as working an extra three or four days.

Originally posted by BoricuaDelight:
just dont over work yourself, but have fun doing that! :D

Hmm...I might accidentally overwork myself, though. What happens then?
DISCLAIMER: This is just armchair observation, not the result of many hours of deliberate study of the subject. I'm by no means an expert, but just an ignorant hick who's putting his two cents in. For that and a nickel, you can have a cup of coffee.
2006-07-21, 1:48 PM #7
you go to hell

or sleep
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-07-22, 9:53 AM #8
Or pass out during filming.

"Camera 3..."

"Camera 3..."

"AH **** NOT AGAIN!"
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-07-22, 10:25 AM #9
hope all is going ok! know today is supposed to be crazy for ya...better not fall asleep! lol :P :psyduck:
2006-07-22, 11:13 AM #10
That they have to audition people for "Deal or No Deal" is kind of sad.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-22, 2:29 PM #11
Why is that sad? It's a popular show and tons of people would like to be on it. :/
2006-07-22, 2:30 PM #12
My friend Aaron is obsessed with this show. If there isn't an age limit, he probably tried out for it.

:P
2006-07-22, 2:59 PM #13
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]Why is that sad? It's a popular show and tons of people would like to be on it. :/[/QUOTE]

I know, but it's not like they need to screen the people to see how smart they are, or see if they can sing, or anything like that. All the person does is say "Deal" or "No Deal" on TV.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-22, 3:06 PM #14
You obviously haven't seen the show.

What makes the show so compelling is how the people react. The show is so scarce in terms of content, that the person's personality makes up the entire show.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-07-22, 3:14 PM #15
People watch it for the girls holding the cases, not the contestants.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-22, 11:18 PM #16
Originally posted by BoricuaDelight:
hope all is going ok! know today is supposed to be crazy for ya...better not fall asleep! lol :P :psyduck:

Yeah, it did all go okay. It was really tiring, though. I only took like two breaks the whole ten hours. Those breaks prolly added up to about 20 mins total. Plus I was like stuck in a small cubicle, with the tripod pinning me against the wall. After a while, my back stayed too straight and I needed to like bend it, but I couldn't really take a break and stop. But now it's like 9 hrs later and aside from needing sleep, everything's back to normal.

Yeah, there were some characters. The surprising part was just how many people were just downright BORING. They'd just get up in front of the camera and say, "I think you should pick me, cuz I'm real energetic, I wanna shake Howie's hand cuz I just love him, and I think I'd give ya a show you wouldn't forget." Of course, their idea of "energetic" was to just speak in a slack-jawed, monotone country drawl. (This was in KY.)

We heard a TON of the same thing a lot, too. Here's a laundry list:
--Cancer; either the actual interviewees had it or had family members who did
--Pay off student loans
--Put kids through school
--Help elderly parents out
--Take a vacation
--Quit work
--Buy a new vehicle

Probably heard each of those no less than twenty times. In total, we probably had like 400 people get interviewed in our cubicle from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM. About 2,000 came to the whole thing.

The most memorable people were:
--A redneck woman who like closed one nostril and hummed "My Old Kentucky Home" and said that's why she should get on
--A legitimate bikini model/possible stripper (she was wearing a tubetop...I was gettin so nervous that she was gonna pull it down)
--A retired news anchors from competing TV stations in town
--The 65 year-old stout grandma who could still play volleyball and keep up with everybody (and no, she didn't look like a PE teacher)
--A man who wanted to quit his 7 day/week, travel-worldwide, constantly-gone job as a nuclear analyst so he could spend time with his daughter (this dude was so sincere it killed me)
--The stereotypical redneck males: the beards, the camou, the boots
--The stereotypical redneck females: mullets, Harley-Davidson tank tops, mustache
--A 22 year-old mother who said all she wanted to do was buy a toilet and a bathtub and give the rest away

It was also interesting to take a look at the philosophical side of today's events. Really, it felt like playing God; destining people for Heaven or Hell. It's really fascinating because with questions like, "What makes you unique?" and "Why would you want to be on DOND?" or "What would you do with the money?", people tend to reveal a lot about themselves. When you experience that on such a grand level, you start making certain observations and inferences about human nature, since it's a fairly random sampling. Basically, purpose is the dividing line. The people that impressed me the most were ones with a purpose behind them being there. If I could tell they were making something up or just saying the usual "I wanna new car and house", I just wanted to cut them off and tell them thank you and good day. It sucks that in a world full of opportunity for good, so many people just don't care. They're so selfish and wasteful of their lives and the energy their bodies receive. They're like zombies. I just can't imagine living a life where you make no impact on the world whatsoever.

All in all, it was a good one-time experience, but it'll be a long time before I do it again.

↑ Up to the top!