Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New Hard Drive!
New Hard Drive!
2006-07-22, 3:19 PM #1
This thread comes in several parts. Suggestions, questions, and preferences.

I've got a brand spanking new Hard Drive on this PC, and I'm in the process of bringing it up to standards.

Suggestions

I've already got FireFox with all of my prefered extensions, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Trillian, and am in the process of installing windows updates and the .net framework. Does anyone have any suggested programs to install on a fresh hard drive?

Questions

How do I shut off this Windows Security Alert crap? I also want to shut off the windows firewall crap, too.
How do I get my Steam ID? I can't find my promotional HL2 card. I have my old HD as a slave, and I'd LIKE to be able to get my ID without having to boot from that drive.
How do I move my bookmarks from my old HD to my new HD for firefox?

Preferences

How and what services should I shut off?
How do I get the tray next to the start icon?
Can I stop the tray next to the timer from resizing?
Can I bypass the login screen considering I only have one passwordless account?

Thanks in advanced.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-22, 3:25 PM #2
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Questions

How do I shut off this Windows Security Alert crap? I also want to shut off the windows firewall crap, too.
How do I get my Steam ID? I can't find my promotional HL2 card. I have my old HD as a slave, and I'd LIKE to be able to get my ID without having to boot from that drive.
How do I move my bookmarks from my old HD to my new HD for firefox?

1. Just click in the bubble when it pops up and you'll be able to turn it off in the window that opens up.

2. Have you tried running Steam directly off of your other hard drive?

3. They're all saved in your user folder, under "Application Data" if I'm not mistaken.
2006-07-22, 3:50 PM #3
Suggestions: [url]www.sysinternals.com[/url] makes useful little tools.
There are two separate .NET frameworks: 1.1 and 2.0 (and that's if you don't count 3.0 beta)

Latest DirectX. Don't forget that. Download the web setup version so you'll get the latest components (dxwebsetup.exe).

Winamp, uTorrent, Google Desktop Search (unless you know where all your files are at all times), Google Talk...

I use Trillian for chat, but since it costs $$$ for the version that's worth using, GAIM or Miranda IM should work in a pinch too.

Don't forget mIRC for IRC. :P

Also this site http://www.crystalxp.net/ links to a bunch of cool freeware (some trialware) tweaking apps for Windows. On that note, don't forget the PowerToys for XP from Microsoft either.

Others in the same vein of mini-tray-apps not showcased there are "D-Color" which allows you to show the desktop in Tiles view, "allSnap" which adds Winamp's, etc, window snapping ability to all apps, "Glass2k" which allows you to make any window partially transparent (although I've had problems with Windows occasionally not updating), "TaskSwitch XP" which is the best Alt+Tab app around which also has a bonus feature allowing you to minimize any app to the tray, "WinSnap" which is the best screenshot app around (coincidentally both made by the same authors), and "Archive Folder", which allows you to browse RAR, ISO, etc archives in Windows Explorer in the same way you can open ZIPs in a default XP install.

Find and apply "Command Prompt Here" and "Explore From Here" registry patches too.

Fooling around with "Transformation Packs" is fun too, although you have to be careful so as to not break Windows (just be sure not to install/uninstall Microsoft stuff that requires a restart, especially IE things or Windows Update things, in the same session as you install/modify/uninstall a transformation pack). There's one for Vista (which I use), one for an OSX look (FlyAKiteOSX, I used it for a bit, it's good :)) and that crystalxp site has a good looking one too. They typically patch system files for icons, bitmaps, animations, etc, patch your uxtheme.dll to allow for non-Microsoft themes and visual styles, and optionally install extra tray apps like the ones I listed above to make Windows act more like the target OS, as well as skins for some popular third-party apps.

Questions:
1) Short answer: Comply. Long answer: It's best to comply, but if you must, there are settings buried in the control panel app that tell it to STFU.

2) Steam will run without a proper install (I like to say all well-written programs do), but you need to delete or rename ClientRegistry.blob, because it contains absolute paths to all Steam resources, so if they change location or drive letter, Steam will think you have no games downloaded. Deleting it forces Steam to recalculate paths.

3) %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random>.default\bookmarks.html holds Firefox's bookmarks. Overwrite one with the other. Sticking %APPDATA% in Start | Run will take you to the relative folder for your current account.

Preferences:
1) Short Answer: None. Long Answer: It's a well-spread myth that disabling services will increase speed. Usually, they only use resources when they are needed. If you are concerned about memory, keep in mind Windows will simply swap them to disk until they are needed, so there's really no performance hit while you're playing games or whatever. Don't be afraid of numbers in Task Manager.

That said, if you want to disable services just because you'll never use them... run services.msc from Start | Run and you'll get the full list. You can use the names and descriptions to figure out what they are, but unless you understand what it is, leave it alone. The startup types can be set to allow or disallow a service to start automatically when the computer starts: Disabled - Won't start and can't be started at all until this setting is changed. Manual - Will start only when explicitly asked to. Automatic - Starts as Windows' GUI does. Boot (not configurable though the GUI) - Starts as the computer boots.

Messenger service is one of the few you might need to disable since, on certain network configurations (ie bad ones), you can get popups with it over the internet. "Server" powers Microsoft File and Printer Sharing, and can be disabled if you wish. Turning off "Themes" reverts Windows to drawing everything in classic mode.

"Wireless Zero Configuration" (XPSP2) only has value if you use wireless networking.

2) Short Answer: You don't. Long Answer: You would need a program to completely replace the taskbar, such as ObjectBar (http://www.stardock.com/products/objectbar/) or Litestep or something.

3) Yes, right click taskbar, click properties, uncheck "Hide inactive icons".

4) TweakUI XP from Microsoft will do this, under the option "Autologin". Google for it.

2006-07-22, 3:59 PM #4
"How do I shut off this Windows Security Alert crap? I also want to shut off the windows firewall crap, too."

Assuming you're running SP2...

Control Panel > Security Center > Automatic Updates
I keep it on "download, but do not install". If you want to get rid of all notifications, turn off automatic updates.

Control Panel > Security Center > Windows Firewall
Turn it off.

"How and what services should I shut off?"

Messenger, Telnet, and Remote Registry. You don't need to send messages over the network, you don't need telnet, and you don't need remote editing of your registry. Right click My Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services and disable these two

"Can I bypass the login screen considering I only have one passwordless account?"

Turn off the guest account, and make sure your user account has no password set for it (these two can be accomplished through Control Panel > User Accounts)
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-07-22, 4:10 PM #5
Wolfy's solution for the logon thing is probably better, I think I remember now that Windows can skip it.

Also, there are are no telnet or remote registry services. :P

"Fast User Switching" can be disabled if you never intend to use the "Switch User" feature of Windows (ie allow multiple users to log on at once).

2006-07-22, 4:12 PM #6
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Turn off the guest account, and make sure your user account has no password set for it (these two can be accomplished through Control Panel > User Accounts)

Already the case. Still shows the login screen after load.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-22, 4:56 PM #7
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Already the case. Still shows the login screen after load.

Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change the Way users log on and off -> Turn off welcome screen.

And the icons in bottom right. Control Panel - > Taskbar and Start Menu -> Customize, you set wheter always show, always hide, that stuff.

I seriously just did both of these things RIGHT before I opened the thread. How ironic is it kirby asks this the same day I install WinXP?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-22, 5:57 PM #8
There's several useful programs/utilities you should pretty much always have.

VLC
K-Lite Codec Pack
7-Zip
CDBurnerXP Pro (Unless you have a commercial copy of Nero)
GIMP
Blender
ObjectDock (Much better than Quicklaunch I think)
OpenOffice
WinSCP and PUTTY
FileZilla
Audacity

And the Powertoys I recommend:
Open Command Window Here
Tweak UI
Power Calculator
Task Switcher
Image Resizer
Virtual Desktop Manager
Webcam Timershot (if you have a webcam)

Also, my recommended Firefox Extensions:
StumbleUpon
IE Tab
Adblock
Adblock Filterset.G Updater
VideoDownloader
DownThemAll
FoxyTunes
Sage
Mouse Gestures
Tabbrowser Preferences
Sessionsaver
Linkification
Launchy
Disable Targets for Downloads

Though I'm sure you've already grabbed most everything you need. Still, you asked. you have received.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-07-22, 6:13 PM #9
Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
K-Lite Codec Pack

Ew. More like ffdshow. Also, MPlayer will play things even VLC/ffdshow will not, and handles insanely huge HD videos MUCH better. With VLC or MPC they drudge along. MPlayer is completely smooth. For a GUI version, try [URL=MPUI]http://mpui.sourceforge.net[/URL].
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-07-22, 6:16 PM #10
Oh, I would also recommend TUGZip over 7-Zip due to being easier to use and supporting more formats (including 7-Zip). PowerArchiver is my favorite, but it's not free.

Unlocker is great for removing locks on files. NTFS Link lets you easily create hardlinks and junction points, like symbolic links in UNIX. The My Documents folder is a junction point.
2006-07-22, 6:32 PM #11
Ok, TUGZip is better. Go with that. MPUI, and subsequently mplayer didn't work for me. It failed to display any image when I tried playing the HD version of Elephants Dream. VLC works just fine. The K-Lite codec pack isn't really needed if all you do is playback (as VLC handles most types), but I've installed it for use with VirtualDub (and Hauppage SoftPVR recorder).

Also, patch uxtheme.dll if you don't like the default Windows skins. Or get WindowBlinds or StyleXP if you prefer one of those.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-07-22, 8:09 PM #12
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]Also, there are are no telnet or remote registry services. :P[/QUOTE]

There are in XP Pro.
Attachment: 13295/untitled.JPG (105,581 bytes)
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-07-22, 8:10 PM #13
Originally posted by Emon:
Ew. More like ffdshow. Also, MPlayer will play things even VLC/ffdshow will not, and handles insanely huge HD videos MUCH better. With VLC or MPC they drudge along. MPlayer is completely smooth. For a GUI version, try [URL=MPUI]http://mpui.sourceforge.net[/URL].

Yay someone promoted mplayer without me. Yay.

Mplayer is the best video player ever. Period.
2006-07-22, 9:49 PM #14
If you haven't found your steam username yet, go to the other hard drive, browse to X:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\<username is here>
A computer's worst nightmare:

HazTeam Website-=HT=
2006-07-23, 12:15 AM #15
Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
Also, patch uxtheme.dll if you don't like the default Windows skins. Or get WindowBlinds or StyleXP if you prefer one of those.

WindowBlinds is a bloated pile of crap, and StyleXP is nothing but a uxtheme patch with a pricetag.

Originally posted by CoolMatty:
Mplayer is the best video player ever. Period.
Unless you want fullscreen on additional monitors. :v:
2006-07-23, 12:20 AM #16
Which is why I just use the freeware uxtheme patch. I only mentioned the othe two because I know they exist for those that can't figure out how to patch their own uxtheme and apply their own themes.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.

↑ Up to the top!