Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → lalala
lalala
2004-06-27, 12:57 PM #1
Possessed of a sudden impulse, I've decided to conduct an ultimately pointless poll. Please humor me and answer it. Or die. ;)

POLL: What do you find the most important or appealing aspect of a game's graphics? Like models, textures, or whatever.

[This message has been edited by money•bie (edited June 27, 2004).]
2004-06-27, 12:59 PM #2
Polls don't work on massassi, you'll find out soon enough.

But I think video games strongest points are in the texturing, that makes it or breaks it.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-06-27, 1:03 PM #3
*dies*

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-06-27, 1:03 PM #4
..you just contributed to the poll, right? How ain't it not workin'?

[This message has been edited by money•bie (edited June 27, 2004).]
2004-06-27, 1:04 PM #5
For the past 5 years or so, I'd have to say a combination of architectural/model detail and texture resolution. Recently, though, it's been new things, innovations if you will, that I haven't seen before in 3D graphics. For example, the first time I played Half-life and saw the patches waving around like real liquid; that was totally cool.

More recently, minor things like the use of multitexturing to produce realistic beaches, and that sort of thing. Basically, achieving visual effects that either weren't possible with previous technology, or effects that take a lot of work to make look good are the things that I look for in graphics nowadays. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

P.S. Of course, after seeing that Unreal 3 video, I was really impressed with the leap forward in traditional graphics.. shaders that protrude every single brick, amazing lighting, etc.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-06-27, 1:09 PM #6
level design, definately.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-06-27, 1:13 PM #7
Didn't I just have a thread about a similar topic? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-06-27, 1:17 PM #8
Definatly a combination of lighting and texutures. The perfect lighting with the perfect texture makes the perfect level.

------------------
Maker of the Levels:
Sand Trap
Sand Trap (Night)

Writer/Author of the fanfic: Dragonball Aftershock

_.~'AKA DBF_SuperSaiyan'~._
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2004-06-27, 1:33 PM #9
It's the artistic quality of the graphics that matters. I don't really care whether a game looks like it's from 1996 or 2006.

------------------
MadQuack has a signature.
I'm just a little boy.
2004-06-27, 1:48 PM #10
Lighting and textures. Architecture doesn't matter at all unless it's uber boxy like DOOM or Wolfenstein. Most UT2k4 maps have an excessively high level of detail - and personally, I couldn't care less if it had the same ammount as a Q3 level, in fact, I'd like it better that way. It makes navigation much easier.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-27, 1:54 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flirbnic:
It's the artistic quality of the graphics that matters.</font>

That being said, all aspects share equally in producing that level of artistic quality.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-06-27, 3:17 PM #12
Models combined with texturing (this includes bumpmapping, which Carmack is my god of).

But seriously, if you want beautiful, take Far Cry with LOW textures, and Far Cry with HIGH textures. The difference in quality is amazing.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-27, 4:07 PM #13
level design and music

------------------
*landfish 'splodes*
7 of 14
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-06-27, 4:58 PM #14
MUSIC!?!?!?
2004-06-27, 5:31 PM #15
Textures. Good textures can make a bad looking level/model look better than it otherwise would have.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-06-27, 5:34 PM #16
Good texturing and lighting can disguise what is otherwise a poorly designed level.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-06-27, 8:38 PM #17
Texturing and lighting, I think.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-06-27, 9:26 PM #18
Level design doesn't really count as graphics.. more like gameplay.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-27, 9:54 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
Level design doesn't really count as graphics.. more like gameplay.

</font>

I think they mean architecture.

------------------
MadQuack has a signature.
I'm just a little boy.
2004-06-27, 10:08 PM #20
Animation. Well, not exactly. But look at all the current games. They're beautiful....at a glance. But if you examine most games,e ven thos ewith the prettiest graphics, you'll find jerky and sometimes unnatural movement. Watch that Battlefield 2 video again. Terrible. So, I'm going to say for now, animation is what impresses me.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-06-28, 3:10 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
Animation. Well, not exactly. But look at all the current games. They're beautiful....at a glance. But if you examine most games,e ven thos ewith the prettiest graphics, you'll find jerky and sometimes unnatural movement. Watch that Battlefield 2 video again. Terrible. So, I'm going to say for now, animation is what impresses me.

</font>

Not FarCry, Painkiller, or Doom 3

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-28, 5:54 AM #22
eyelash rendering.

------------------
"My god, it's full of stars!"

"True as toasted toads!"
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-06-28, 8:46 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
Polls don't work on massassi, you'll find out soon enough.
</font>

Except this one will work since it's not about a controversial topic...Do you see how that works now?

------------------
"If there's one thing I've learned it's this - you just can't shake hands with a fist" - David Allen Coe
2004-06-28, 9:01 AM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glyde Bane:
eyelash rendering.</font>

"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-06-28, 9:07 AM #25
Humour.

There aren't enough funny games. Armed and Dangerous was great.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935

↑ Up to the top!