Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Where do Superhero movies take place?
Where do Superhero movies take place?
2006-07-26, 1:21 AM #1
... well, there you have it.

Superhero movies take the pre-existing comic world and re-arrange it to make it more accessible to an uninitiated audience in the space of two hours. I never really thought about it at all until the other day, when someone on the Order of the Stick forums posted a topic about "Superman-Santa versus the Hitler Twins", then someone posted a link to the "Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" Wikipedia, which further linked to and began talking about alternate DC universes.

And that got me thinking.

Do the DC movies and animated series (referred to collectively as the DC Animated Universe, as I understand) take place in yet another alternate universe? are they subject to the events of the Infinite Crises and/or the Crisis on Infinite Earths? I distinctly remember reading about some superhero straying into an alternate Gotham patrolled by Terry from Batman Beyond, so I suppose it's possible.

How about Marvel? I understand that Marvel makes extensive use of multiple universes (including the DC ones, which brings up startling questions about the aforementioned Crisises as they pertain to Infinity), do the movies take place in their own special one? Or even a group of universes?

When you consider it, what does that mean about the various movie incarnations these people have had? Is there a universe where Bruce Wayne was a slightly pudgy balding man who stood no taller than 5'9 and had an air of comedy about him? Did he suddenly morph one day into a much taller, more physically fit Bruce Wayne with a squarer jaw and lighter hair (who was also a total jerk to his employees), or was that Bruce Wayne in yet another Universe? And of course, let's not forget that this particular Bruce further morphed into an even taller, yet less physically fit Bruce with an even more rigid jaw structure, darker hair, and a "purposeful gayness" who also happened to exist in the same Universe as Superman.

Let's not discuss Superman.

Seriously, is this how it works? I know there's gotta be some Comic sages out there who can explain if this is the case. Ironically, I was wondering because I was writing some comic book material recently (nothing professional, just for fun stuff, some parody of pre-existing characters) and it occurred to me that these characters would be, at the very least, amused to encounter an alternate universe in which every few months or years they would inexplicably change appearance, and they would encounter their villains only at this time. Possibly this discovery would be aided by the characters actually going to see a movie based on their adventures.

-So, Comic Book Nerds of the Internet, I ask you... Where do Superhero movies take place?
2006-07-26, 1:23 AM #2
I always figured each continuity/series spawned its own dimension/timeline.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-07-26, 1:57 AM #3
Movies take place in their own, often backwards assed, universes.

That said, as for cartoons, the DC Animated Universe is seperate from the normal comic universe. However, there are things within the DC animated universe that could be considered cannon or not cannon. Re-tooling of cartoon shows doesn't count as a new universe.
2006-07-26, 5:24 AM #4
movies and cartoons have their own universes.

I think marvel comics have different universes for each series (like with spiderman they basically give him different suits or a diffeent age for becoming spiderman). Not sure about DC Comics, though i expect they try to keep everything in the same universe since Infinite Crisis.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-07-26, 5:56 AM #5
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-07-26, 6:11 AM #6
Of course, in an alternate universe, everything in this thread is wrong! Magic.
2006-07-26, 6:39 AM #7
Originally posted by LividDK27:

maybe in BIZZARO WORLD.

:o
2006-07-26, 6:42 AM #8
In Soviet Russia World Bizzaros you!
2006-07-26, 8:44 AM #9
Marvel is real world. The Marvel based movies have been anyway.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-26, 8:46 AM #10
They have a basis in the real world, like both marvel and ultimate marvel have new york city i think, but they both are different universes.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-07-26, 8:51 AM #11
The different universes came about as the Marvel franchise grew.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-26, 9:12 AM #12
Originally posted by Chewbubba:

I don't know why anyone else bothered to post. Thread over.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-26, 9:27 AM #13
I think each continuity or medium has it's own universe, but it's always seemed to me that comics are less about the world and more about the characters and plot.

I do like it when Sandman comics have cameos though. It's funny seeing Batman or Constantine randomly show up. :)
2006-07-26, 3:25 PM #14
I'm fairly sure that the movies have different universes for them, unless ofcourse they're deceided to be crossed over. Like in the new Superman when the news report about the blackout thing mentions Gotham.
nope.
2006-07-26, 3:27 PM #15
Originally posted by LividDK27:

zomg paradox!

[http://image.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/200/wtd_1_s.jpg]
2006-07-26, 3:27 PM #16
Maybe they'll have a Batman and Superman movie with the new guys. And they can have sex.

↑ Up to the top!