Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → *stab stab* ow...my browser...
*stab stab* ow...my browser...
2006-07-26, 1:56 PM #1
I just got raped by some Adware like no other. So I did an Ad-aware scan, right? Gets rid of alot of stuff, but I'm still getting pop-ups. I found the actual file for it, but I can't delete it. It's being used by another program, but I can't find out what other program is using it. I know I don't come here often, but I've been here since JK was first released. Therefore, I =\= noob.
I need a signature SO amazing, and SO funny, that when you read it, you say, "Hey, that's pretty funny."
2006-07-26, 1:57 PM #2
I remember you! Welcome back!
2006-07-26, 1:57 PM #3
Long time no see, blackbelt7. Try using Mozilla Firefox.
2006-07-26, 1:58 PM #4
^yes

Try booting into safe-mode and see if you can delete it.
2006-07-26, 2:01 PM #5
Look in your task manager and see if there are any odd things running there as well. End whatever those processes are then try running your spyware scans again.

Also try some other scanners too.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-26, 2:07 PM #6
Get Spybot and try that, and also use Hijack This! to track down the nastier hidden stuff.
2006-07-26, 2:09 PM #7
I had the same problem a long while back. Spybot + Adaware solved it for me.
2006-07-26, 2:09 PM #8
Wow, guys! Thanks for the quick response! I'll definately try out all the stuff you suggested. I already tried the Task Manager one, and I already have FF. I'll try getting the other stuff, too.

Also, my new 400G external drive says "Use me to build JA levels!". I just may have to do that. ;)
I need a signature SO amazing, and SO funny, that when you read it, you say, "Hey, that's pretty funny."
2006-07-26, 2:30 PM #9
No, you must have misunderstood your harddrive. It said, "Use me to build JK levels." :P

Welcome back, I've only been here about 3 years, so I haven't heard of you. But welcome back just the same. :)
2006-07-26, 2:34 PM #10
What's this "JK/JA" levels you speak of?

:psyduck:
2006-07-26, 2:47 PM #11
Hoorah! HijackThis basically kicked SurfSideKick in the face (wham-o!). Thanks for the help, guys.

Well, I feel more at home than I have in the past 4 years. The only reason I'm hesitant of building JK levels is because I can't understand the engine used to build it. I mean, JA was easy, you know? If you want a wall, you just build one, and size it. In the JK editor I used, it was like, you had a block, and you had to carve stuff out and ??? :confused: Oh yeah. JK = cogs. O_o

I tried it, but now that I'm older, I'll try it again. I'm off to install JK + mods again.
2006-07-26, 3:36 PM #12
If you've got something that you can't delete because something is "using" it, I use Process Explorer to find and kill the handle within the process that's accessing it. Usually has no side affects, although you could really **** stuff up if you hit the wrong things.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-07-26, 3:38 PM #13
http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/fileutil/index.htm

It's free, and will delete that file for you next time your system restarts...

[Edit] Well, the old version is free, but that should be good enough for you [/edit]
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2006-07-26, 3:55 PM #14
Originally posted by Delphian:
No, you must have misunderstood your harddrive. It said, "Use me to build JK levels." :P

JA editing is fun.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-07-26, 4:05 PM #15
Yeah, I also deceided I'd give Radiant 1.5 another shot on Monday night, and just about pmed Echo about something because the manual didnt tell me much. :P

I went back to 1.4. Again.
nope.
2006-07-26, 4:12 PM #16
I had a nasty virus once that managed to make itself used by explorer.exe and winlogin.exe. I could kill the explorer process, but as soon as I killed winlogin my computer would restart itself. The only way I could get rid of it was by killing explorer then make sure that my Norton was all the way to the screen where it asks if I want to remove the virus. Once I was all set up, I killed the winlogin process and had a 1-2 second window to click the OK button on norton to delete it before my computer reset itself. But it worked and I'm virus free again! YAY!
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2006-07-26, 4:15 PM #17
Haha, sounds like something from a movie.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-27, 12:52 AM #18
Originally posted by blackbelt7:
Hoorah! HijackThis basically kicked SurfSideKick in the face (wham-o!). Thanks for the help, guys.

Well, I feel more at home than I have in the past 4 years. The only reason I'm hesitant of building JK levels is because I can't understand the engine used to build it. I mean, JA was easy, you know? If you want a wall, you just build one, and size it. In the JK editor I used, it was like, you had a block, and you had to carve stuff out and ??? :confused: Oh yeah. JK = cogs. O_o

I tried it, but now that I'm older, I'll try it again. I'm off to install JK + mods again.

For JK Editing, make sure to stop by the JK Editing Hub.
2006-07-27, 12:56 AM #19
I'm probably going to be flamed for this, but oh well:
Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do? and 10 Immutable Laws of Security
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-07-27, 4:20 AM #20
Originally posted by Impi:

Isn't that common sense? Do people actually NOT know this?
2006-07-27, 5:39 AM #21
What I actually wanted to allude to, was the first law and the other article...
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-07-27, 7:55 AM #22
There's a fantastic shell extension for Windows called Unlocker, which will tell you which programs are using a file. It will then allow you to kill that process. If Unlocker can't kill it, try using Advanced Process Termination.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-07-27, 2:41 PM #23
Seconding Process Explorer. It can tell you which process is using the file in question and has a function called "End Handle" or somesuch that can stop that process from using the file, so you can delete it without worrying about ending the process.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?

↑ Up to the top!