Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hah! And you thought I hated EVERYTHING!
Hah! And you thought I hated EVERYTHING!
2006-07-27, 7:17 PM #1
Superman Returns was bloody freaking fantastic.

We saw it in the Imax, until about halfway through when someone burnt the freaking pretzels, so this alarm goes off outside, and the lights start flashing, and NONE of us get up from our seats (Which worries me, because if it were a REAL fire, we'd all just sit there and act stupid.) until about 5 minutes of the movie playing without any sound and the lights on.

Anyway, we got our money back and went tonight.

MAN was that a good movie? The humor is bloody PERFECT. Spot freaking on. I don't think I've seen a funnier movie, and it wasn't even a comedy. The way they went about the humor was delicious and fresh.

The characters were believable, and acted like people you know in real life. Kent was a BIT underacted, but otherwise, I really liked it. Lex was nothing but sweetness when he was on the screen. I wanted to watch that movie for another two hours with more of his plot alone.

The action wasn't as good as it should or really could have been, which was a bit of a let down, but the way they handled the rest of it was so perfect that it really didn't matter.

I have to go back and talk about the humor again: There were absolute belly laugh moments that were so utterly simple, yet so hilarious at the same time. I guess I was the only one who thought this though, because the rest of the theatre seemed bored.

The love story DID seem dragged out, but it also felt a lot more deep than, say, Toby McGuires/Dunst's horrifying "relationship developement." I would have liked to see their mooshy stuff replaced with Superman being a badass and ****ing someone up, but, meh.

The cinematography of the film is where it really shines. Artistic angles without new fandangled camera techniques made for a classic film feel. They REALLY know their stuff. I was knocked off my feet by several of the very subtle things they did with the camera without being too showy like most films these days.

The music REALLY bothered me though. It didn't sound like Superman's March at ALL. The rest of the movie was pretty lackluster music wise, and that's sad, because it's an easy movie to make a damn good sound track to. Maybe they were trying to save money, but I think that really ruined a lot of the intense or romantic moments.

I'm VERY excited for the next installment, and I really hope I don't give it too high of expectations, because I REALLY didn't expect anything out of this film AT ALL. I expected it to be utter crap, but wanted to see it in imax instead of rent it. (Which was a mistake, because the bending distortion ruined a lot of pretty scenes.)

So anyway, yeah, those of you who think I hate ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING are now proven wrong!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-27, 7:22 PM #2
Heh and as im reading that a Smallville commercial comes on.
2006-07-27, 7:22 PM #3
I didn't see it. Thought it looked pretty bad compared to Batman Begins, which both being super-hero movies re-made (kinda) I compared them. I'm also not one to pay attention to cinematography, so I wouldn't notice the "AMAZINGNESS" that you did.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-27, 7:33 PM #4
Lex's plan sucked horribly.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-07-27, 8:29 PM #5
i really liked it, but there was just so much stuff that bothered me. It just didnt feel right, and a lot of the cuts felt weird to me.

The other thing that annoyed me was the excessive use of CG. A lot of it was noticeable and really not needed. Like the part where superman lifts the spaceshuttle into space. Superman AND the Shuttle were CG.

:v: i sitll liked it though.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-07-27, 8:37 PM #6
I have to agree about that particular scene, but I thought a few scenes were really well done with the CGI.

I liked the cuts, myself, but maybe I just noticed it was different than modern crappy camera cuts that I didn't notice the suddenness of them?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-07-27, 9:36 PM #7
I put forward that if you don't look for CGI you don't notice it? (unless everything else so lame you're bored) I didn't ever think "Hey, CGI".

I agree about Lex. Kevin Spacey made about a third of that movie. He was pure awesome.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-07-27, 9:37 PM #8
I hate CGI.

Stupid computers....
2006-07-27, 9:38 PM #9
You can't say bloody. You're from fricken' Minnesota.
2006-07-27, 9:43 PM #10
Anyone notice how Superman just tosses all of his problems into space?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-07-27, 9:46 PM #11
But then you also realize hes ****in' Superman.
2006-07-27, 11:41 PM #12
I liked the movie. The only slight problem I had was Kate Beckensale as Lois Lane. Not that she di a bad job with the role. She just looked too young.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-27, 11:46 PM #13
I'll see it on Sunday.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-07-28, 1:48 AM #14
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]Lex's plan sucked horribly.[/QUOTE]

haha yes
2006-07-28, 6:58 AM #15
I saw it 2 days ago and it was the best film I've seen in ages, I just thought it was generally kickass.

Personally I didn't find anything wrong with the music in the movie, it just gave me a little tingling feeling since it reminded me of the old films, mind you I haven't seen them in ages. I also liked how they made the opening credits in the same style as the old ones.
nope.
2006-07-28, 7:08 AM #16
Somebody spoil the whole movie for me, I didn't see it. Nor do I want to.
2006-07-28, 7:11 AM #17
Ok. I've learnt to never trust anything Kirby says again after this thread.
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2006-07-28, 10:36 AM #18
Originally posted by Avenger:
I liked the movie. The only slight problem I had was Kate Beckensale as Lois Lane. Not that she di a bad job with the role. She just looked too young.

Bosworth looked too young, Beckinsale woulda looked about the right age methinks ;)
2006-07-28, 1:02 PM #19
Ive said it before and Ill say it again/

WHERE THE FUDGE IS BRAINIAC!!!!....DarkSide?......that guy with the rocks in his face that "killed" superman.

I want cool villians
The tips at the end of shoelaces are called "aglets". Their true purpose is sinister.
2006-07-28, 1:06 PM #20
Originally posted by finity5:
Somebody spoil the whole movie for me, I didn't see it. Nor do I want to.

Superman returns and before he left he knocked Lois up.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-07-28, 1:16 PM #21
And
2006-07-28, 1:17 PM #22
Originally posted by saberopus:
And

...Superman has a son. Also, Lex Luthor gets kr-r-r-r-r-yptonite.
2006-07-29, 5:45 AM #23
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
I put forward that if you don't look for CGI you don't notice it? (unless everything else so lame you're bored) I didn't ever think "Hey, CGI".

I agree about Lex. Kevin Spacey made about a third of that movie. He was pure awesome.

Sadly, not true. I wasn't looking for it, but there were still times I felt like I was being slapped in the face with it.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-07-29, 5:59 AM #24
Oh yeah, funny how his step mum, Martha Kent, came back to life for this movie.
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2006-07-29, 6:39 AM #25
I wasn't aware she ever died...
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-07-29, 9:24 AM #26
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]Sadly, not true. I wasn't looking for it, but there were still times I felt like I was being slapped in the face with it.[/QUOTE]

The only CGI shot that really felt like a slap in the face was the end when he flew by the camera. It was almost as if they were saying, "Look how close digital Routh can get to the camera!" The only time I thought a fully CG character looked good up close was in Spider-Man 2 when Doc Ock was sinking in the water.
2006-07-29, 10:08 AM #27
The whole "superman has a son" thing felt stupid.
I felt like I was watching the Mummy Returns, a stupid kid who detracts from the father's character from the previous movie(s).

And that whole thing where he gives his son a speech...the direct quote from his father.
I mean... come on.
This didn't feel like a direct sequal to the first two movies at all, it seemed...dumb.
PARTS of it DID feel like superman, but the rest of the movie cancelled that out.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.

↑ Up to the top!