Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I hate super weapons
I hate super weapons
2004-06-26, 1:50 PM #1
I start playing C&C Generals again. Is there anyway to turn off super weapons in skirmish or do I need the expansion for that?

------------------
The sooner you realize I'm right the better off you will be.

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited June 26, 2004).]
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-06-26, 1:53 PM #2
SUPER WEAPON RUSH
KKEKEKKEKEKEKEKEKEKE

seriously I have no idea

------------------
When you expect the pain - nothing left to ascertain
When you respect the lie - Deadly chasm open wide
---Circle of Dust "Chasm"
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-06-26, 1:58 PM #3
Use a hex editor. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-26, 2:37 PM #4
You can't turn them off, no. Not even in Zero Hour, I don't think.

That irritated me too at first. But they really do speed up the game, and force you mobilise.

But supers aren't as powerful as they were in RA2, so the guy that builds a super first isn't bound to win.

If you like Generals otherwise I would really recommend Zero Hour. It is possibly the best expansion pack for anything ever, it adds loads to the game.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-06-26, 5:27 PM #5
I'm fairly certain Zero Hour lets you disable them.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-06-26, 5:40 PM #6
Play with a friend and establish a no-super weapon rule.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-06-26, 5:43 PM #7
there's an option in zero hour to limit superweapons.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-26, 6:25 PM #8
I like how superweapons are more like strategic weapons in Generals and less like weapons of mass destruction like in RA2.

------------------
The sooner you realize I'm right the better off you will be.
2004-06-26, 8:35 PM #9
Haven't played Generals, but I looove RA2.

Kirov reporting...

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-06-27, 1:00 AM #10
Haha, that is possibly the most heart-attack inducing sound ever, as you suddenly rush to build loads of rocketeers or flak guys. If you're playing against the AI, they always build three kirovs at a time.

Anyway, you really should get Zero Hour. It's totally ace. I love playing as the Demolitions general, though I do also love the Stealth General too. Playing as either of those against the Tank general (in the 'Generals' mode, not in Skirmish) is totally hard.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2004-06-27, 1:27 AM #11
Also, I thought you could 'limit' the supers, so you could only build one, but not turn them off?

I love building two dozen nuclear missiles and nuking a large city. All the buildings collapse together and it all glows a pretty orange colour. But the nuke + scud storm make the prettiest colour. It's a shame the American superweapon isn't quite as impressive. The MOAB is neat though.
2004-06-27, 1:43 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
Play with a friend and establish a no-super weapon rule.
</font>

Kind of makes USA really powerful with the aurora's.
2004-06-27, 3:58 AM #13
The GLA 'ambush' ability is really powerful on the third level. Especially on the demolition general, when they can all blow themselves up.
2004-06-27, 5:52 AM #14
I always found Aurora's too expensive to invest in. Unless your enemy is a complete idiot, you usually lose one or two bombers each time they go on a run into the base. They are really only useful if you use them to help take out large groups of enemy units such as tank rushes.

------------------
Massassi: We don't debate. We *****.
2004-06-27, 6:11 AM #15
You don't lose them on the run into the base, but you do lose them on the run out of the base.
2004-06-27, 8:06 AM #16
picky picky picky [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Massassi: We don't debate. We *****.
2004-06-27, 8:20 AM #17
Hehe. Well it does make them great for taking out anti-air. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
2004-06-27, 9:09 AM #18
If you liked RA2, check out the DeeZire mod here. It's been long hailed as the "only RA2 mod you'll ever need". It's like an unofficial expansion, it's that good. It brings out a lot of hidden and scrapped units from development, and adds a lot of original content. It's even more balanced than the original game, and greatly enhances each nation's individuality with more units and abilities. All the new units and structures are in the same Red Alert theme as well. Two of my favorite Soviet units are the Iron Fist and the Oktober Sub. The Iron Fist is a subterrainian mobile war factory; it literally burrows underground and can pop up anywhere on the map and start deploying vehicles. It also has a decent rocket launcher on it which makes it fantastic for guerilla warfare. The Oktober Sub is a sea to land attack sub, firing one large cluster missle at a target at once. It used to be able to take out a construction yard in one hit, but it's since been balanced to take several. They recharge slower than the yard can be repaired, and you can only build one to limit the imbalances. Oh, you also get to do fun stuff like train Navy Seals. >:-D

Only downside to the mod is that it will not run on 2000 or XP unless you have the Yuri's Revenge expansion. It's simply an engine issue that wasn't resolved till the expansion, nothing could have been done about it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

I'd also check out the ProGen mod for Generals and Zero Hour, made by the same guy, on the same site. It's basically following the same kind of idea as the DeeZire mod, same themed units and balance fixes. Also poke around on the forums as well as Google for other Generals mods, there are some great ones, especially this really sweet Star Wars mod that I'd like to try.

------------------
2004-06-27, 1:10 PM #19
DeeZire is great!
2004-06-28, 5:14 AM #20
You can't disable superweapons in Generals, but in Zero Hour, the AI compensates: as long as you don't build superweapons, it won't either.

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-06-28, 6:00 AM #21
GLA Toxin General > *

Nothing beats the satifaction of mowing down a whole army of rushed infintry, with about 2 or 3 Rebels. *squirt squirt*

------------------
"My god, it's full of stars!"

"True as toasted toads!"
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-06-28, 6:21 AM #22
..and then I blow up your base with the two dozen bomb trucks I sneaked into your base when you were distracted by my infantry rush.
2004-06-28, 7:21 AM #23
Why do people use GLA so much? US>*, although i can never decide wether to use Air general or Superweapon general. Its Kickass Auroras vs Kickass Patriots.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-06-28, 7:30 AM #24
Call me crazy, but I like the Super Weapon general. As long as you survive the rush, you're guaranteed a win. Alpha Auroras and half-price ion cannons make it easy to win. The Laser general is slow, but has top-notch defenses. Not bad if you can handle the power drain.

------------------
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2004-06-28, 7:41 AM #25
All of the US generals are boring. They rely much too much on the strength and organisation of individual units. I didn't even bother completing the US campaign.

The hordes upon hordes of Chinese units is great fun, especially in China vs. China battles. I have a hard time getting used to the nuke general, with your own exploded tanks damaging your own units.

The GLA are sneaky, and you need to think a lot about tactics, especially with the Stealth general. The suicide bombers are fantastic, great for base defense against tanks. I always have eight of them in a tunnel to spring out and take out attackers. And the tunnel networks are so useful, I like to send a few blokeys about to build tunnel networks around the map.
Smuggling in bomb trucks into the opponent's base is my favourite, but you have to choose a vehicle that they won't suspect. The construction vehicle is usually a safe bet.
Oh and the hijackers are great.
And also with the GLA you can easily build several small bases around the place, making it a real pain to destroy you.
2004-06-28, 7:47 AM #26
I just like watching SCUD storms filled with jell-o bomb the hell out of towns, and watch people choke and fall over. Toxin Tractors are also great, it's like a drive-by water gun... except it's not water, it's radioactive toxic gunk.

------------------
"My god, it's full of stars!"

"True as toasted toads!"
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-06-28, 9:52 PM #27
I don't think it's radioactive.
2004-06-29, 1:51 AM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
there's an option in zero hour to limit superweapons.

</font>

Heh, I really should finish playing through these games... I stopped playing because I was sick of superweapons so I never got to Zero Hour... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
2004-06-29, 11:37 AM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FH_PhoenixFlame:
SUPER WEAPON RUSH
KKEKEKKEKEKEKEKEKEKE

seriously I have no idea

</font>

Best rush I did:

GLA

Build stash + 4 more workers to gather supplies

Build a worker at Comm Centre whilst stash is being built

Worker builds Arms Dealer (may also build a 2nd)

Buy Technical Training ability

12 Technicals

Win

Did it in under 5 minutes against a Hard AI to get my Blitz award. Go me.

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-06-29, 11:46 AM #30
In RA2, the best rushes are terrorists + flak truck. It's great.

It's possible in Generals, but not quite as spectacular.

↑ Up to the top!