Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Good games
Good games
2004-06-28, 5:52 PM #1
I need a good game to play. I am a little wary though, because my last two purchases were huge mistakes (BF:Vietnam and Universal Combat. A waste of a combined $60). Also, multiplayer is a biggy for me. I have two things in mind:

C&C Generals Zero Hour
City of Heros(from the reviews here)

Any game suggestions? Also, no, I'm not going to get FarCry 2 or Painkiller?

------------------
Massassi: We don't debate. We *****.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-06-28, 5:54 PM #2
Serious Sam 1 and 2. You can probably get them both for Maximum 10 dollars. A first-person-shooter in the truest sense.

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-06-28, 6:04 PM #3
Mafia $10 no MP

American McGee's Alice $10 comes in a 2-pack with Clive Barker's Undying which i hear is good but haven't played it Alice is SP only Undying might be i don't know

NOLF and NOLF 2 can be purchased pretty cheap... probably for $10 combined if you look in the right places both have a few good MP modes including co-op

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!

[This message has been edited by DrkJedi82 (edited June 28, 2004).]
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-06-28, 6:07 PM #4
A) I'm not getting Alice. That is just a freaky *** looking game

B) What's NOLF stand for?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited June 28, 2004).]
2004-06-28, 6:08 PM #5
A) your loss

B) No One Lives Forever

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-06-28, 6:08 PM #6
I got back into Marathon recently. Damned good game. One of the games that put Bungie on the map. Brilliant story, good gameplay (considering when it was made). However, the game was released in 1996, and it's 7 years old. The graphics equate to something slightly better than Dark Forces. It's all sprite based. The other downside is only the second game of the game of the trilogy was ever released for PC. Finally, the multiplayer was limited to basically LAN only play. Oh, and you'd probably only find it via eBay or the Bungie store.

That would be my suggestion, but it doesn't really meet any of your requirements. Still, check it out sometime. It's easy enough to find a demo online still. Do a google search for Marathon 2: Durandal. There are also a few projects underway to bring the game up to date with todays graphics, but I haven't kept up with them.

I haven't really kept up with gaming as of late, the last full game I got was MoH:AA for Christmas. Anything more recent is a demo.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-28, 6:12 PM #7
Let me give some more criteria if you recommend FPS: I need to be fighting "sentient" enemies. Nazis? Fine. Zombies? No. Covenant Aliens? Fine. Aliens(AvP)? No. When I have nothing but kamikaze enemies coming after me, it scares the hell out of me. Yes, I'm a chicken. I prefer tactics over blowing swarms of enemies to bits anyway.

Another game I thought of: Thief 3. Any good?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited June 28, 2004).]
2004-06-28, 6:20 PM #8
Halo is considered the sequel to the Marathon Trilogy by the majority of the fan base, though Bungie denies anything other than minor similarities.

With that in mind, the aliens in Marathon can be considered sentient. They range from skinny dudes who go splat (literally) when you kill them, to aliens that look like sewage monsters, to robot drones, to floating cloaked guys called "Compilers" that dissolve into static when they die. There isn't really an AI to speak of, I think most of it is scripted, so these guys aren't very smart. They make up for it in numbers and with their weaponry though. Oh, and you have help in places from Marine type humans.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-06-28, 6:32 PM #9
Serious Sam 1 and 2, like they said. Or hold out a month for Doom 3.

Wasn't Marathon a major mac game?
------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited June 28, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-06-28, 6:35 PM #10
Could someone give me a brief rundown of the Deus Ex games?

------------------
2004-06-28, 6:41 PM #11
Oh, dude, get Deus Ex 1 now. Just get it. Insanely awesome game. You must must must play it. Get it. Did I mention get it?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-28, 6:46 PM #12
It has multiplayer.

------------------
"Church, women are like Voltron, the more you can hook up, the better it gets!"
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

Ph34r t3h Cute Ones
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2004-06-28, 6:46 PM #13
DJ-Yoshi: Yea. It was. I remember playing those games when I was 12ish.

Kieran: Indeed, get it now. But if you really need a bit of back story, http://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/articles/index.php?article_id=572. That's probably the best my quick Google search came up with. If I did it, I'd ruin the game for you. There is so much to know and tell it's insane.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!

[This message has been edited by phoenix_9286 (edited June 28, 2004).]
Last Stand
2004-06-28, 6:58 PM #14
Thief 3 is really good

Rise of nations is a true gem in the RTS field, I recently picked it up, and am loving the conquer the world campaign.

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-06-28, 7:34 PM #15
As has already been said, Serious Sam... you can get both for $5. Of course, seeing your dislike for kamikaze enemies... you probably wouldn't like it.

If that's the case then, why not Far Cry? That's an FPS where tactics are required.

My last recommendation would be Ground Control 2. I downloaded the demo, and not only does it have the best graphics in a strategy game ever, but it's pretty fun.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-06-29, 4:33 AM #16
I thought Far Cry had the freaky mutants? I have yet to see a mutant that doesn't kamikaze.

------------------
2004-06-29, 4:49 AM #17
I'm just playing through Deus Ex for the first time. It seems awesome, but I like games that tend to be a bit easy, and Deus Ex might get really hard.
2004-06-29, 5:27 AM #18
Morrowind..no MP, though.

------------------
The Truth about Bowling for Columbine
woot!
2004-06-29, 5:27 AM #19
What is City of heros???

also good game: Blade Runner

------------------
Sprite Mod (JO 2003)
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2004-06-29, 6:35 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by G-Man:
What is City of heros???

also good game: Blade Runner

</font>

Is there a demo for that BladeRunner game somewhere? I'm to lazy to do a Google right now.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-06-29, 6:40 AM #21
I just came back from the game store. They didn't have Deus Ex, but they did have Deus Ex Invisible War. Is it a good game or should I take it back and get my $30 or get Generals Zero Hour instead?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited June 29, 2004).]
2004-06-29, 6:57 AM #22
I haven't had the opportunity to play it, but from what I've heard, it's a decent game, but nowhere NEAR as godly as the first one.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-06-29, 7:07 AM #23
The second Deus Ex was terrible. Anyone who tells you otherwise is incorrect.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-06-29, 7:10 AM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
City of Heros(from the reviews here)[/B]</font>

CoH is great if you have lots of spare time, a credit card, and dont mind RPGs which arent amazingly deep.

I've had it for quite a few weeks now, and am still enjoying the hell out of it. Half the fun is rerolling and making a new character, there's so many powers to try out.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-06-29, 8:34 AM #25
Thief 3 is great if you need a good laugh. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"And the jewel is the biggest in all the land--"
"I THINK I SAW SOMETHING!"
"Many have tried to steal it, but none have---"
"I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING!"
"--eeded. We must be cautious if we are to--"
"I THINK I SAW SOMETHING!"
</font>

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged
2004-06-29, 8:56 AM #26
No Demo of Blade Runner, I just bought it 2 years ago for 10€

------------------
Sprite Mod (JO 2003)
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2004-06-29, 8:59 AM #27
try postal 2 if you're in a really twisted mood. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-06-29, 9:48 AM #28
Kieran, DX and the NOLF series would be pretty good for you. Far Cry isn't all about mutants. Half the baddies are mercenaries and their AI is really good. Red Faction 1 and 2 might work out pretty well too and they should be cheap.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Connection Problem:
I'm just playing through Deus Ex for the first time. It seems awesome, but I like games that tend to be a bit easy, and Deus Ex might get really hard.</font>

Not really. As you play through and get new and better biomods, you kick ***

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-06-29, 10:21 AM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Not really. As you play through and get new and better biomods, you kick *** </font>

Cloak + Melee Enhancement + Dragon tooth Sword = Pure destructive fun.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-06-29, 10:51 AM #30
Indeed

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-06-29, 11:07 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
try postal 2 if you're in a really twisted mood. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

</font>

Or Manhunt. I just bought it a couple days ago, and it has to be the most ****ed up game I've ever played. Though using a metal bat to splatter a white supremesist's head like an overripe melon is strangely satisfying.

------------------
Some of you should learn to think a bit and discover - *gasp* - that someone can dislike Michael Moore, Kerry, and Bush!
-Wolfy
2004-06-29, 11:09 AM #32
Natural Selection

Firearms

Day of Defeat

all availabe with one HL cdkey

------------------
When you expect the pain - nothing left to ascertain
When you respect the lie - Deadly chasm open wide
---Circle of Dust "Chasm"
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-06-29, 11:25 AM #33
If your looking for Single Player experience, the best Single Player I've ever experienced would have to be System Shock 2. Although its hard to find. Deus Ex would come in a close second. For Multiplayer, go for UT2004, the second best multiplayer I've ever played next to the original UT.
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2004-06-29, 3:45 PM #34
I think I saw System Shock 2 for download at the Underdogs awhile back. I was going to grab it, but I didn't have the time. Doing so at home is rather insane considering my connection.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-06-29, 4:03 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by R_ivi_N:
The second Deus Ex was terrible. Anyone who tells you otherwise is incorrect.

</font>

it wasn't terrible it was a good game with a few flaws it's just that some people make the mistake of getting their expectations set way too high

yes i know the first was awsome that doesn't automatically mean the second will be the same level of awsome or better

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-06-29, 7:22 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
it wasn't terrible it was a good game with a few flaws it's just that some people make the mistake of getting their expectations set way too high

yes i know the first was awsome that doesn't automatically mean the second will be the same level of awsome or better

</font>

Okay, maybe. But that's only if you could get it to RUN.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-29, 7:39 PM #37
yeah the bugs and pixel shader support requirement are part of the flaws

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-06-29, 11:43 PM #38
[http://www.cdaccess.com/gifs/screen/bladerun5.jpg]

My favourite part in the game.

------------------