Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Everyone knows LotR..but what about The Wheel of Time?
Everyone knows LotR..but what about The Wheel of Time?
2004-06-29, 5:23 AM #1
10 book (so far) series by Robert Jordan.."The Wheel of Time"..anybody familiar with it? I'm somewhere in book 5 now..I find it more entertaining/interesting than Tolkien.

------------------
The Truth about Bowling for Columbine
woot!
2004-06-29, 5:30 AM #2
Started on the first book...the tediousness killed it for me...so I put it down and vowed never to pick it up again.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-29, 6:36 AM #3
I've read the Wheel of Time series including the prequel and it's definitely one of the better fantasy series' out there. I'm very much looking forward to the next books. You might also want to purchase the WoT PC game and the WoT soundtrack. They're great if you aren't a Randland elitist and are just looking for some enjoyment.

I recently finished the Sword of Truth series including the prequel as well, and it was great too. If you liked WoT, you'll probably love SoT. There are many similarities and some people have accused Goodkind of ripping off Jordan, but either way, it's an excellent series.

I'm currently reading the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I'm nearing the end of the first book and I must say, it's quite good.

Good luck with the WoT, you can't go wrong with those books. Jordan's physics background really adds a whole new element to fantasy and that's evident in his books.

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-06-29, 6:47 AM #4
Hee hee...calling Wheel of Time "tedious" in comparison to LotR. Hee hee.

I love the books. Got R.J.'s "World of Wheel of Time" book -- big collective history on Randland. Got the game, hated it for its flaws, and loved the game's soundtrack, though I didn't care for the official soundtrack. I've read all the Wheel of Time books thus far published, including the prequel.

For those of you who don't know, Jordan hopes to finish the series in two books, and publish two or three more prequels. Maybe we'll get to see Lews Therin and the 100 Companions rush Shayol Ghul...?

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-06-29, 7:11 AM #5
I'm more of a fan of David Eddings' Belgariad and Malloreon when it comes to fantasy books.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-06-29, 8:07 AM #6
I've read it, the first 6 books are decent / good, but the series goes downhill after that. Books 7 and 8 suck, 9 is somewhere better, and I HATED book 10.

------------------
What once was...
2004-06-29, 8:07 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by R_ivi_N:
I'm more of a fan of David Eddings' Belgariad and Malloreon when it comes to fantasy books.

</font>

I read Polgara, which was frelling AWESOME.

And Wolfy, I'm not saying in comparison to Tolkein. That fruitcup takes the CAKE for tedious. I just couldn't get into the book after reading a hundred pages of background...

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-29, 8:11 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MentatMM:

I recently finished the Sword of Truth series including the prequel as well, and it was great too. If you liked WoT, you'll probably love SoT. There are many similarities and some people have accused Goodkind of ripping off Jordan, but either way, it's an excellent series.

I'm currently reading the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I'm nearing the end of the first book and I must say, it's quite good.

</font>

Yes! yes! yes!

You sir, have good taste. Sword of Truth owns, and Song of Ice and Fire owns ALL. ASoIaF is definitely the best fantasy series I've ever read, and I've read a lot. (Shannara, Sword of Truth, Wheel of Time, Song of Ice and Fire, LotR, Runelords, others).

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Hee hee...calling Wheel of Time "tedious" in comparison to LotR. Hee hee.</font>

Pssh, it is. It's been said again and again, but at least Tolkien doesn't find it necessary to describe the clothing and its cultural origins of every woman in the room. And for that matter, at least there are battles in LotR. In WoT, the army's been on the march for what, four books now?

------------------
What once was...
2004-06-29, 8:31 AM #9
The first 3 or 4 books were good, then it just got boring.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-06-29, 8:50 AM #10
Agreed on the fact that after 3 books it sucks bad. Check out L.E. Modesitt, Jr.'s Recluce series. That one rocks, but it's hard to appreciate the brilliance unless you read 4 or 5 of them.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-06-29, 9:33 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Warlord:
Pssh, it is. It's been said again and again, but at least Tolkien doesn't find it necessary to describe the clothing and its cultural origins of every woman in the room. And for that matter, at least there are battles in LotR. In WoT, the army's been on the march for what, four books now?</font>

Battle of Dumai's Hill, the seige of Cairhien, the battle in Illian, the battle against Ishamael, the battle against the Seanchan in Illian, the battle against the Trollocs and Myrdraal in the Stone of Tear, the battle against Rhavin in Andor, the battles against the Trollocs in the Two Rivers, the siege of Tar Valon (which is starting)? So the army's been matching for four months -- half of the time through thick snow, across half the continent, from Salidar to Tar Valon. Armies of that size don't move quickly, and Egwene used that time to solidify her position as Amyrlin Seat.

As opposed to Tolkien. Hobbits walk. Hobbits walk some more. Hobbits walk a bit more. Hobbits find Tom Bombadil, do something incredibly stupid. Hobbits walk some more. No Gandalf. Hobbits walk some more. And some more. Get to Rivendell. Walk some more. Fight some orcs, lose Gandalf. Walk some more. Lothlorien. Time to go boating now.

Riveting.

------------------
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-06-29, 9:37 AM #12
SoT > * (Book wise...)

/me reads

------------------
"My god, it's full of stars!"

"True as toasted toads!"
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-06-29, 10:45 AM #13
Ive read the Lord of the Rings around 4, possibly 5 times (cant really remember). I dont really find it tedious. Oh, and anyone looking for extremely tedious, check out the Silmarillion.

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2004-06-29, 1:53 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
Battle of Dumai's Hill, the seige of Cairhien, the battle in Illian, the battle against Ishamael, the battle against the Seanchan in Illian, the battle against the Trollocs and Myrdraal in the Stone of Tear, the battle against Rhavin in Andor, the battles against the Trollocs in the Two Rivers, the siege of Tar Valon (which is starting)? So the army's been matching for four months -- half of the time through thick snow, across half the continent, from Salidar to Tar Valon. Armies of that size don't move quickly, and Egwene used that time to solidify her position as Amyrlin Seat.

As opposed to Tolkien. Hobbits walk. Hobbits walk some more. Hobbits walk a bit more. Hobbits find Tom Bombadil, do something incredibly stupid. Hobbits walk some more. No Gandalf. Hobbits walk some more. And some more. Get to Rivendell. Walk some more. Fight some orcs, lose Gandalf. Walk some more. Lothlorien. Time to go boating now.

Riveting.

</font>

That's not really fair, you can break down the greatest story in the world into short sentences like that and make it look horrible.

Tolkein was able to create a huge world, with defined cultures and languages. While Robert Jordan is not a bad author, I think he is just writing to much because it really does get quiet boring.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-06-29, 6:10 PM #15
Quote:

Riveting.

</font>

Fine, so some stuff happens in WoT. But, it's spread through 10 books, like 8,000 pages. That's a way smaller action-per-page ratio than in LotR.

They're very different books, and I did like WoT, I just think Jordan's overdone it. Tolkien's writing is tedious if you find epics tedious, Jordan's is tedious if you find lists of clothing and women sniffing and straightening their skirts tedious.

And, the Nazgul could take the Thirteen any day. Sauron > the Dark One!!!!1111

------------------
What once was...
2004-06-30, 7:08 AM #16
One of my friends reads WoT and he likes it very much. I think I will read it too, when I'm done with the Discworld.
The game was great IMHO and the MP looked interesting although I never had the chance to try it.

------------------
Sorry for the lousy English
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-06-30, 10:25 AM #17
Please. Nazgul may have the Witchking, but the Forsaken have balefire. You can't do much against people if you don't exist.

Regardless, even if one of the Forsaken did die, Shai'tan could simply resurrect the fallen Forsaken in a new body, albeit at slight less power.

------------------
2004-06-30, 11:01 AM #18
I don't really read fantasy books, bar Discworld. Most of the books I read are either game manuals or Robert Rankin evil-Hitler-screwed-up-time-travelathons.

------------------
[ Massassiism ] [ Cynicism ] [ Fanaticism ]
This is out of our jurisdiction, Bob. It's not wearing any pants.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-06-30, 11:09 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
I read Polgara, which was frelling AWESOME.
</font>

You should read Belgarath as well.

------------------
Pause
"Well I got better..."
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-06-30, 11:34 AM #20
Quote:
Please. Nazgul may have the Witchking, but the Forsaken have balefire. You can't do much against people if you don't exist.

Regardless, even if one of the Forsaken did die, Shai'tan could simply resurrect the fallen Forsaken in a new body, albeit at slight less power.

</font>

Ah, but would it affect the ringwraiths? Sauron's body was destroyed but he survived since he was bound to the ring. And since the only thing that can destroy the one ring / the nine rings is throwing it into mount doom, the rings would survive despite the balefire. so, the forsaken could destroy the ringwraiths' physical forms, but they could ressurect also.

as far as Sauron versus Shai'tan, I don't know who would win. They're both pretty much gods of their worlds, but Shai'tan is imprisoned in shayol ghul, and Sauron is weakened without the Ring. So I guess a fair fight would be freed Shai'tan against Sauron with Ring.

Shai'tan versus Morgoth, Morgoth would own. 13 forsaken against an army of Balrogs?

------------------
What once was...
2004-06-30, 11:46 AM #21
You're missing the point, who would win a fight out of.

Robert Jordan vs. Tolkien.

thats what would peak the odds.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-06-30, 12:33 PM #22
Does it really matter which characters could whip who? I can't believe you guys are reducing great novels to a comic book style brawl.

Godzilla should have sooo kicked King Kong's *** .

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)

↑ Up to the top!