Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Search for Wireless software
Search for Wireless software
2003-12-24, 11:37 AM #1
Ok, this might belong under the Tech forums, but its not actually a problem, so ill give it a shot here... And if it needs to be moved to the tech forums admins, please feel free to move it there...

Basically Here is the setup, I have what is essentially an Atmel Wireless USB Dongle (its was made by another company, but it is identicle to an actualy Atmel), as to two other computers in my house, but we dont have a wireless access point. My Question is this, does anyone know of software that can be used to configure the wireless device on one computer to act like an access point so I can shift the netword from Ad-Hoc to Infastructure without having to buy an access point?

Theoretically it is possible, but right now I just cannot find the software to do it? Can anyone help?

------------------
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

[This message has been edited by West Wind (edited December 24, 2003).]
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2003-12-24, 12:42 PM #2
::sits comfortable behind a desk with hands folded::

what you need to do here is reroute the dongle to the PMS server which will upflux your routing capacity and therefore uncomplicate the already complicated scenario of using two unmatchable wireless dongles that would really mess up the...

::stands up and runs away with no pants::

------------------
-If you don't know, then don't ask...
-If you don't know, then don't ask...
2003-12-24, 1:14 PM #3
The Host AP driver for Linux allows you to do that with some Intersil-chipset-based cards.

I don't know if there's any similar software for other cards or other operating systems, but Host AP was the only thing available when I set up my wireless network a couple of years ago.

↑ Up to the top!