Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Kill it! Put it out of it's misery!
Kill it! Put it out of it's misery!
2004-06-30, 4:07 PM #1
[http://flexor.360viewonline.com/popup.jpg]

This keeps popping up at the bottom of my screen every 30 minutes or so. I can't clear up any space on drive C unless I delete windows - that's all there is on it!

Is there any way to turn it off?

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-30, 4:09 PM #2
What are your specs, what is you computer smoking, AND WHY ISN'T IT SHARING?!?!?!?!!?

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-06-30, 4:14 PM #3
have you learn't your lesson?

you should never have a hard drive dedicated for your OS.

It doesn't matter which one it is, as your computer may not handle the drive switching.

------------------
Those silly bullets have minds of their own!
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-06-30, 4:29 PM #4
Hahaha pwned.

------------------
They call him El Diablo... *whip crack*
They call him El Diablo... *whip crack*
2004-06-30, 4:34 PM #5
I didn't have a choice. My old computer wouldn't let me create a partition in dos bigger than 1 gig or so. And now I have about 20 gigs worth of things I can't re-download or re-install, with no CD burner to back them up.

------------------
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-30, 4:38 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
I didn't have a choice. My old computer wouldn't let me create a partition in dos bigger than 1 gig or so. And now I have about 20 gigs worth of things I can't re-download or re-install, with no CD burner to back them up.

</font>

CD burner--30 dollars.
CDs--15 dollars

Not losing a god damned thing--priceless.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-30, 4:50 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:

It doesn't matter which one it is, as your computer may not handle the drive switching.

</font>

WHAT?

If you don't have a hard drive "dedicated" to your OS, just where does the OS go? I think you wrote something really wrong there.

CDs are nice and all, but for 20gig? That's a LOT of CDs. I'd tell you to get a DVD burner instead, but that's even more expensive all around. You might just do best to get yourself a larger HD and move all of your stuff to it.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-30, 5:09 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:

</font>

Are you drunk or just high? Not only is having the OS on it's own dedicated drive/partition faster, but it's a helluva lot safer. You can format the OS without loosing any info on the drive, and if it is on a different HD, you can boost read/write performance!

"Drive switching" is not a problem, and wasn't even a problem for DOS. I think you just enjoy thinking wierd stuff up.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-06-30, 5:25 PM #9
Flexor, are you making sure that you dump the contents of the temp and internet temp folders every now and then? When I say that, I'm not just talking about the ones found in the windows folder, I'm also talking about the ones found in the documents folder (which is hidden from you if you have "hide system files" on). The files in their can take up a LOT of space and you might not even know it because Windows hides it be default. If you don't know the folder I'm talking about, the path to it is this:

C:\Documents and Settings\"Your user name"\Local Settings

Obviously, "your user name" is the name of your user login. If you have more than one user for you computer, check ALL their "local settings" folders and delete the contents in the temp and "temporary internet files" to make sure you don't have ANY crap on your system you don't need.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-06-30, 5:43 PM #10
another option is you could decrease the percentage of the drive that the system dedicates too the recycle bin, i can't remeber exactly where you adjust that but i remeber doing it on my old machine at one point

------------------
"I like my women how I like my coffee, in a plastic cup." - Eddie Izzard
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2004-06-30, 6:16 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SavageX378:
Flexor, are you making sure that you dump the contents of the temp and internet temp folders every now and then? When I say that, I'm not just talking about the ones found in the windows folder, I'm also talking about the ones found in the documents folder (which is hidden from you if you have "hide system files" on). The files in their can take up a LOT of space and you might not even know it because Windows hides it be default. If you don't know the folder I'm talking about, the path to it is this:

C:\Documents and Settings\"Your user name"\Local Settings

-- SavageX

</font>

I clear that folder regularly, but there never really isn't anything in there. The only files that ever go there are when I download something in opera and click on 'open' rather than 'save'. As for my internet cache, that's all on my D drive.

------------------
2004-06-30, 6:18 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MFalse3:
another option is you could decrease the percentage of the drive that the system dedicates too the recycle bin, i can't remeber exactly where you adjust that but i remeber doing it on my old machine at one point

</font>

That might be useful.

Also, I saw something on a TV program where they showed you how to remove a bunch of useless system files in XP that are just leftovers from a previous version of windows - only I can't remember which files it was. :/

------------------
2004-06-30, 6:33 PM #13
1) Get Partition Magic.
2) Make the partiton for drive C bigger
3) Beer

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-06-30, 7:58 PM #14
how to disable balloon tooltips

or try Powertoys Tweak UI

------------------
"Music is the universal language and the
dialect we speak in is Hip Hop!" - King Solomon

[This message has been edited by Molgrew (edited June 30, 2004).]
2004-07-01, 1:01 AM #15
I'm sure that if you click the 'you're running out of space' thing, one of the clearup options it gives you is to remove windows components, and you can just pick the ones you don't want.

(btw, I have a whole 4.55G now!)

------------------
/end boob rant
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2004-07-01, 1:03 AM #16
I'm running on minimal components... I don't even have solitaire installed!

------------------
2004-07-01, 3:14 AM #17
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-06.html
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2004-07-01, 4:04 AM #18
I did a onsite tech call yesterday, smoe guy who owned a photo-hut said his computer was complaining about low disk space. I said, thats fine, he has some rogue program that was filling up his hard drive... So, I go out there, and I manually run through all his programs to find the culprit....

Turns out he was a spammer, and his mail program was filling up his hard drive with log files.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-01, 4:49 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
I'm running on minimal components... I don't even have solitaire installed!

</font>

that is so sad... we really need to start a collection to get you a new comp. shame most people here aren't actually earning any real money..

------------------
/end boob rant
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2004-07-01, 5:11 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Turns out he was a spammer, and his mail program was filling up his hard drive with log files.

</font>

Please tell me you did something evil to his computer to prevent him from sending more spam.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-01, 5:18 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Please tell me you did something evil to his computer to prevent him from sending more spam.</font>

Err, no. I was paid to fix his computer, not screw it up.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-01, 5:27 AM #22
Could you change the number of System Restore points that XP saves?

------------------
BV's rendition of Titanic: Let's have sex. I won't let go. I don't need this stone.
The End.
~ Wolfy
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-07-01, 6:09 AM #23
Quote:
Err, no. I was paid to fix his computer, not screw it up.

</font>

It's not screwing it up. It's a point for the way of humanity, and it stops another spammer from blossoming.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-01, 6:22 AM #24
But GBK doesn't get paid thus he can't pay bills and he gets thrown out of house and becomes a hobo. All the Perl in the world cannot save him from the unemployment office.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-01, 8:02 AM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:
But GBK doesn't get paid thus he can't pay bills and he gets thrown out of house and becomes a hobo. All the Perl in the world cannot save him from the unemployment office.

</font>

What's ONE job?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-01, 8:08 AM #26
GBK - One Job - Work Credibility = $0 forever.
2004-07-01, 8:29 AM #27
Well, if all GBK did was delete all the log files, then he can almost count on another job when it fills up with log files again and the stupid spammer doesn't know what to do.

------------------
yay for not posting much ever
yay for not posting much ever
2004-07-01, 9:20 AM #28
Quote:
I did a onsite tech call yesterday, smoe guy who owned a photo-hut said his computer was complaining about low disk space.</font>
Was his name "Leo?"
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-01, 9:41 AM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
Quote:
Originally posted by GBK:
I did a onsite tech call yesterday, smoe guy who owned a photo-hut said his computer was complaining about low disk space.</font>
Was his name "Leo?"[/b]

Either you're talking about a personal experience, or...something. Yah. Grrr..

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-01, 12:06 PM #30
Was it an upgrade to XP? If so, did you remove the "rollback files" from your previous OS that allow you to "uninstall" XP and go back to your old OS?

Also, the disk cleanup thing doesn't allow you to clear a lot of stuff that you don't need .. I use iSystem Wiper every hour or so now just as a habit; real fast, click quick launch, click wipe button, close it .. you can choose to clean a whole bunch of stuff every time you run it.

------------------
Sigs are for n00bs.

[1337 FRNDS_Pommy | 3.14 of 14 | » And-GTx2]
Half-Life 2 Central - your definitive source for everything HL2!
一个大西瓜
2004-07-01, 12:13 PM #31
if you're having trouble with your partitions, then you'll have to repartition your drive.

first off, get a burner and back up your files. Burners are cheaper than ever and the damn things are even getting to be standard issue in new comps today.

Then, boot into dos, and run fdisk. Delete your partitions one at a time, until there are none left. If you're using NTFS, fdisk will reconize NTFS partitions as non-DOS partitions. To remove those, choose Delete non-dos partition.

Once all your partitions are gone, make a new primary DOS partition and tell it to use the maximum available space and to make itself active.

Format C: and reload winxp. convert to NTFS is you want. Reload your saved files off of Cd, and you're done.

Problem solved.

if Fdisk is not letting you create partitions >1 GB, then your copy of fdisk is probably f***ed up, or there may be something wrong with your disk itself.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited July 01, 2004).]

↑ Up to the top!