Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → An nVidia OS? o_O
An nVidia OS? o_O
2004-07-01, 5:35 AM #1
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;312646380;fp;2;fpid;1

Interesting, now only if they would change their way of business to not be deceitful liars all could be well. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
[="Mothers stop cooking take off your aprons; Fathers stop looking at every sports station; Take a second, and think of every poor nation." - Nas=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-07-01, 5:42 AM #2
They might lie on occasion, but at lest they make decent software.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-01, 6:06 AM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
They might lie on occasion, but at lest they make decent software.

</font>

Hah...ahahaha...dude...their windows drivers are a JOKE. I'm lucky to have ever gotten my Ti4400 working.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-01, 6:17 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Hah...ahahaha...dude...their windows drivers are a JOKE. I'm lucky to have ever gotten my Ti4400 working.

</font>

As much as I hate nVidia, they do make good drivers, its just what they add to them to make their cards "faster".

------------------
[="Mothers stop cooking take off your aprons; Fathers stop looking at every sports station; Take a second, and think of every poor nation." - Nas=]

a stroll to my step;
2004-07-01, 7:32 AM #5
I wonder when it was that things that aren't funny became funny and vice-versa. Clearly I missed some sort of memo.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-01, 8:11 AM #6
"Interesting, now only if they would change their way of business to not be deceitful liars all could be well."

"They might lie on occasion, but at lest they make decent software." -- "Hah...ahahaha...dude...their windows drivers are a JOKE. I'm lucky to have ever gotten my [card] working."

"As much as I hate [company], they do make good drivers, its just what they add to them to make their cards "faster"."

It's like freaking deja-vu.
2004-07-01, 9:28 AM #7
I haven't used any of the GeForce cards, but I do know that their nForce chipsets have rather good drivers. My computer's chipset has worked flawlessly so far, and I'm using Windows ME! Sll other chipsets that I've used have left something to be desired...

------------------
"I know there's got to be some sort of mathematical equation for this sort of thing, but I prefer trial and error. It's one of the advantages of having a socialized health care system."
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-07-01, 9:43 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nottheking:
I haven't used any of the GeForce cards, but I do know that their nForce chipsets have rather good drivers. My computer's chipset has worked flawlessly so far, and I'm using Windows ME! Sll other chipsets that I've used have left something to be desired...

</font>

You're using Windows ME?!?!?!?!

BURN IT NOW

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-07-01, 10:24 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
I wonder when it was that things that aren't funny became funny and vice-versa. Clearly I missed some sort of memo.</font>

HAHAHAHAHAHA

>.>

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged
2004-07-01, 11:44 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kyle90:
You're using Windows ME?!?!?!?!

BURN IT NOW
</font>

As of this moment, I'm unsure as how to interpret the word "burn"... But presuming it doesn't involve disc writing software (I think my CD-RW's defective right now), I shal say this: ME, unlike XP, requires no emulators to play DOS games properly. For those of us who play Dark Forces or one of the earlier Elder Scrolls games, that can be a serious plus.

------------------
"I know there's got to be some sort of mathematical equation for this sort of thing, but I prefer trial and error. It's one of the advantages of having a socialized health care system."
2004-07-01, 11:53 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nottheking:

As of this moment, I'm unsure as how to interpret the word "burn"... But presuming it doesn't involve disc writing software (I think my CD-RW's defective right now), I shal say this: ME, unlike XP, requires no emulators to play DOS games properly. For those of us who play Dark Forces or one of the earlier Elder Scrolls games, that can be a serious plus.

</font>

Install 98. Uninstall ME. That easy.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited July 01, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-07-01, 11:56 AM #12
This is actually interesting. If any company could take microsoft on for a gaming OS it could be nVidia. If they were smart and made it easy to program drivers for and open enough that other companies could code drivers (like ati), they could seriously convert me. I mean, I would rather boot into an nvidia OS that was for NOTHING BUT GAMING than load MS Windows every time I wanted to play a game.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-07-01, 12:09 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
This is actually interesting. If any company could take microsoft on for a gaming OS it could be nVidia. If they were smart and made it easy to program drivers for and open enough that other companies could code drivers (like ati), they could seriously convert me. I mean, I would rather boot into an nvidia OS that was for NOTHING BUT GAMING than load MS Windows every time I wanted to play a game.</font>

Aye. Currently, I'm stuck with Windows, though I doubt most people would recognise it as such... I think It's down to about 6 or 7 processes when idle... However, if nVidia or some similar company would make an OS for purely entertainment, that would be sweet. Nobody has a sensible need to play UT2k4 and check their Email at the same time, so It would not be unreasonable to have separate OSes for the two. Of course, I would hope that it would have compatability to run the DirectX games that currently make up the majority of the market.

------------------
2004-07-01, 12:13 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
This is actually interesting. If any company could take microsoft on for a gaming OS it could be nVidia. If they were smart and made it easy to program drivers for and open enough that other companies could code drivers (like ati), they could seriously convert me. I mean, I would rather boot into an nvidia OS that was for NOTHING BUT GAMING than load MS Windows every time I wanted to play a game.

</font>

I can almost garentee that nVidia will make sure that ATi cards get lower performance though.

------------------

a stroll to my step;
2004-07-01, 12:13 PM #15
What Brian says is a good point. I mean then you wouldn't even have to touch MS, just boot linux when you want to chill, then boot into nVidia's OS when you want to game. Hrmmmm.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-01, 12:51 PM #16
And therein lies the problem [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] If it was open-source, you wouldn't have that problem... Oh well.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log

↑ Up to the top!