Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Curious, it legal to download subtitled animes?
Curious, it legal to download subtitled animes?
2004-06-30, 10:31 PM #1
I'm wondering because i love cowboy bebop and it used to have good open caption support but recently it has gone to hell and now there's no caption for it anymore which pisses me off, anyway i'm wondering is it legal to download it off the internet w/ subtitles?

i'm not sure because i would think that it is legal always hear about people downloading subtitled animes off the internet.

or do i have to shell out like 500$ for a dvd copy, grr.

btw i'm deaf for those of ya who don't know.

------------------
Echoman: If I can create energy from stupidity, the world's power supply will never end...
Echoman: If I can create energy from stupidity, the world's power supply will never end...
2004-06-30, 10:37 PM #2
Illegal.

------------------
«»The Scratchware Manifesto
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-06-30, 10:40 PM #3
I paid $50 for the whole series..

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-06-30, 10:56 PM #4
If it's still airing, I think it's legal. I'm not sure. It's something special as to when it is and isn't legal. Either way, give me a mail at djyoshi at/.,moiahg;lhks gmail 902398434 dot com.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-30, 11:31 PM #5
its still on the air, they just "canceled" the open caption which imho is BS and i pay for this satillite tv yet they don't provide me w/ the service that i require.

fastgamerr: 50$? where did u get it from, most place ive seen it is over 100$

------------------
2004-06-30, 11:38 PM #6
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005QCW4/qid=1088674029/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-9675905-0989523?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

It was a bootleg copy of this one.. some people say the quality is terrible... but in my copy it isn't terrible at all. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
2004-07-01, 12:59 AM #7
Okay here is the low-down:

If the anime is licensed (as in it has been brought to america, either on TV OR on DVD), it is illegal to download the anime. That is why most all subtitled anime says "Stop distribution once this anime is licensed". You can probably find it still on your favorite P2P program, but you won't find it on any huge anime sites, like www.animesuki, who specializes in hosting bittorents for legal anime only.

Also, the really cheap DVDs (Ones like $35 for an entire season) are Honk Kong rips of real DVDs. Not only is this practice highly illegal, but the quality is commonly poor. Sometimes the subtitles suck, sometimes the DVD will not work at all, and your screwed. Usually they fit entire seasons on 3 discs. That amazon copy probably is the USA version, since it has 7 discs, and thus is high quality.

If you want Cowboy Bebop, buy the real DVD from a US Store you trust, like Best Buy. Otherwise, you have no idea what you are getting. And in case you didn't know, almost all anime on DVD has japanese audio with english subs, and english dubs as an option.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net

[This message has been edited by Cool Matty (edited July 01, 2004).]
2004-07-01, 5:22 PM #8
I bought bootlegs of Trigun and Bebop without even knowing it. Quality is amazingly good. It still has all the extras, subtitles. It looks so incredibley professional!! It depeneds on which bootleg you get..but I am not saying get a bootleg, help out the company. I own Escaflowne, I cought it for 200 dollars, I bought the 40 bootleg as a backup. IMO that isn't a bad thing.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-01, 6:56 PM #9
Escaflowne doesnt cost $200, I got the entire collection for under $100

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-07-02, 6:48 AM #10
When it was first released that Boxset cost $200. It still goes for about $150-$350 now because there were only 10,000 sets in the world, and now they are out of stock just about everywhere.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited July 02, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-02, 6:50 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
I bought bootlegs of Trigun and Bebop without even knowing it. Quality is amazingly good.

</font>

Same here. Except I didn't buy Trigun bootleg (even if I could have...)... but still. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------

↑ Up to the top!