Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Watch out for this: WARNING all should read.
Watch out for this: WARNING all should read.
2004-07-02, 9:53 AM #1
Recently my dad, my friends and many other people with E-Bay, or Pay-Pal accounts have been getting professional looking e-mails saying that they need their information updated. Credit Card number, bank, checking etc... It looks very real, so just beware, if you get an e-mail from either Pay Pal or E-bay asking for you to update your information, ignore it no matter how professional it looks.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited July 02, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-02, 10:02 AM #2
...ok?

------------------
*landfish 'splodes*
7 of 14
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-07-02, 10:04 AM #3
ok? what, I'm telling you, if they as you to update your information don't. And don't say "Who could be that stupid?!?" becuase it's very professional.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
2004-07-02, 10:05 AM #4
If you don't update it through Email, is it really that dangerous? :/

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-07-02, 10:16 AM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SG1_129:
If you don't update it through Email, is it really that dangerous? :/

</font>

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

I'm guessing they ask you to update it by sending them the information in an E-Mail.

------------------
AIM ID: BlueViper192
E-Mail: FCTuner04--//[at]\\--gmail--//[dot]\\--com

RiP -MaDaVentor-
The Limelite
2004-07-02, 10:17 AM #6
That's the thing it links you to a page where you fill out all the info.

------------------
2004-07-02, 11:16 AM #7
I think that those have been floating around for quite a while. I'm pretty sure that I read about the Paypal in PC Magazine, but I don't recall the E-Bay one. I want to say there is a version out that looks like it's from Microsoft, but I honestly can't remember.
2004-07-02, 11:23 AM #8
I'd never send any private information like that to anyone requesting it via email, but I think it's nice of you to warn us all about this, and I appreciate the trouble you went through to let us in on this apparently well-executed scheme of fraud.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-07-02, 12:47 PM #9
I got one that looked like it was from ebay, but the url it sent me to wasn't at ebay.com...

I just ignored it.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-07-02, 1:16 PM #10
typical phishing scam.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-02, 2:12 PM #11
Thanks SAJN, I just got one of them the other day. I deleted, but thanks for the heads up.

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-07-02, 3:07 PM #12
Yeah, I know someone who got one from "Paypal"

It linked to a very professional/official-looking Paypal site and asked for this guy's login info and stuff. He realised the URL wasnt from Paypal and reported it to the authorities.
2004-07-02, 3:13 PM #13
If I click on a link in email (which is very rare), I always look at the URL first. Always. If I don't know what it is or where its going, I simply don't go there.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-07-02, 3:24 PM #14
I just always ignore anything like that. If there really was something wrong with my eBay or Paypal account, I'm sure it would tell me and I could fix it the next time I log in.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-02, 4:58 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
Recently my dad, my friends and many other people with E-Bay, or Pay-Pal accounts have been getting professional looking e-mails saying that they need their information updated. Credit Card number, bank, checking etc... It looks very real, so just beware, if you get an e-mail from either Pay Pal or E-bay asking for you to update your information, ignore it no matter how professional it looks.

</font>

dude, most of us already know that and no for the obligitory two words,

OLD NEWZ!

------------------
Those silly bullets have minds of their own!
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-07-02, 5:27 PM #16
i saw something about that on the screen savers...

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-07-02, 5:27 PM #17
TEH ARE OUT TO KILL YUO ADN TEHY ARE GONNA TAKE JOOR MONIE!!

------------------
Member of the Minnessassian Council
2004-07-02, 5:34 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:
dude, most of us already know that and no for the obligitory two words,

OLD NEWZ!

</font>

He was warning us so we wouldn't lose money. Don't be rude.

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-07-02, 8:42 PM #19
I got a virus today, but nothing ebay-ish. But I'll keep a look out.

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-03, 5:37 AM #20
Here is the "log in" part of the scam. Don't log in, because this is fake

http://207.234.168.220/www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/login.html

------------------
2004-07-03, 6:05 AM #21
Interesting how the log-in screen doesn't even look like the real one. Also interesting how clicking "sign up" takes you to the real paypal site.

It's also kinda funny at http://207.234.168.220 where it says "Ebay" then under it, says "an ebay company". [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
Brilliant.
Not at all suspicious.
------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited July 03, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music

↑ Up to the top!