Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → When your monitor has a slight backshadow to everything...
When your monitor has a slight backshadow to everything...
2004-07-01, 5:43 PM #1
...and, upon smacking the side of it, it's fixed, is that a bad thing?

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-07-01, 5:43 PM #2
Its going out. Get a new one.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-01, 5:46 PM #3
I stuck with a monitor that way for three months, and you have to hit harder and more frequent and it ends up just killing your eyes and hurting your body.
2004-07-01, 5:46 PM #4
I'm sure it can survive a few more smacks.

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-07-01, 5:48 PM #5
Wonderful timing. I'm trying to build a new computer. Simply wonderful.

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-07-01, 6:03 PM #6
Wolfy, in case you didn't know, Mizzou's surplus holds public auctions once a month. I remember going in the warehouse to drop something off and seeing hundreds of monitors. Hold out until you get back, and you may be able to get a 17" halfway decent monitor for cheap.

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

Yay! I can finally join the snail-racing crew.

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-07-01, 6:14 PM #7
We had one at school that did that. It was fun as hell to play with. You'd hit it and it'd change colors. If you smacked it right, you could get it to change everything blue, or red, or yellow, or green... It was sweet. Then we hit it too hard one day and it died.

That was the end of that. 'Twas very fun.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-01, 6:18 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
That was the end of that. 'Twas very fun.</font>

Want more fun? Stick a fridge magnet on the side of someone's monitor.... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-07-01, 6:36 PM #9
I saw a nice 17" at costco for 100 bucks.

Honestly, I wouldn't mess around with busted monitors. The problem is that if any part of your computer were to catch fire, it would first be the monitor. I remember seeing pictures back when I was on Edwards AFB of a monitor that imploded and caught a house on fire. It was right down the street from me. Just replace it.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-07-01, 8:12 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Want more fun? Stick a fridge magnet on the side of someone's monitor.... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

Been there, done that. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-07-01, 9:06 PM #11
Fridge magnets are nothing, get some real industrial strength magnets, the kind that pull themselves to steel if they are four inches away. I have two that are cylinders, they're very fun, and degaussing is even more fun.

Degaussing COILS are even MORE fun.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-07-01, 9:22 PM #12
messing with monitors (or TV sets for that matter) is not a good idea, b/c the capacitors inside have enough juice to kill you, maybe even crisp you to dust if you're expecially unlucky.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-01, 9:27 PM #13
That's what ground is for. Sides who said anything about opening a CRT?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited July 02, 2004).]
2004-07-02, 3:43 AM #14
I pulled a few magnets out of a few dead hard drives at work... *loads* of fun. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-07-02, 6:17 AM #15
Mine used to turn different colors (mostly green). Then I found out the cable wasn't connected properly. But before that, I would wack it a bunch of times until it went back to normal.

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical CodeĀ® (NECĀ®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-02, 6:35 AM #16
i have some speakers i used to keep next to my moniter, and soon afterwords i moved them farther apart from each other after one such problem

------------------
<S51> Give a man a sandwich and you'll feed him for an hour, teach him to make a sandwich and he'll get pissed, hit you and tell you to make him another sandwich.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-07-02, 8:09 AM #17
Samsung 955DF 19" CRT--188 dollars at newegg.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-02, 3:29 PM #18
Back on my old Pentium 1, about 7 years ago, the monitor started screwing up. It would all of a sudden go fuzzy, and then when I hit it it would go back to normal. One day, it went fuzzy, and hitting it didn't do anything. Then it went black. Then a bunch of smoke started coming out of the top. So, we decided that we might need a new monitor.

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-07-02, 5:23 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
I pulled a few magnets out of a few dead hard drives at work... *loads* of fun. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

Done that too. Few years ago I took one set and placed one in each of my back pockets. I backed into the fridge, and immediately got stuck. I couldn't pull off. The door kept opening. So I had someone hold the door while I tried to pull off and proceeded to rip one of my pockets. I decided then it might be best to slide off of the door, which worked.

I was dying from laughter the entire time. I love those things.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-07-02, 5:54 PM #20
This guy that went to a LAN party I was at had a monitor like that. He spent the entire game with everything being either tinted blue or red. Eventually he stopped playing, opened the cover, and started changing the tint by frigging with wires inside...

------------------
Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up this floppy disk?
Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up this floppy disk?
2004-07-02, 7:31 PM #21
I hope he discharged the capacitors. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

*zap*
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-02, 10:46 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
...and, upon smacking the side of it, it's fixed, is that a bad thing?

</font>

Sounds like a problem my monitor had before it died, except it would turn the screen a shade of yellow until I smack the side of it repeatedly. IT is a good thing it did die because I now have a spanking new 19" flat screen CRT and it is pure SEX. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-07-03, 12:42 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SavageX378:
Sounds like a problem my monitor had before it died, except it would turn the screen a shade of yellow until I smack the side of it repeatedly. IT is a good thing it did die because I now have a spanking new 19" flat screen CRT and it is pure SEX. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

-- SavageX

</font>

*countdown, 23 days.*

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!