Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → push ups and pecs
push ups and pecs
2004-07-01, 3:32 PM #1
I have a few questions, if anyone could answer them:

A) In your lower arm what are the muscles there?
B) What muscles do pushups strengthen? I figure it would be quite a few since boot camp makes you do so many -_-
C) I'm curious on how ripped guys get their big pecs(or man-boobs as I call them). Is their some kind of Nipple Thrust or something?

------------------
Massassi: We don't debate. We *****.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-07-01, 3:35 PM #2
to answer question 2, just do about 200 before you go to bed, then see what hurts in the morning. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-07-01, 3:38 PM #3
1) I reckon maybe your triceps and deltoids??!! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

2)Pushups are mainly for your chest and biceps (and some other arm muscles I think), I'm pretty sure of that.

3) no comment

*These answers were google free

------------------
~ Vader's Corner ~
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2004-07-01, 3:42 PM #4
[http://www.fun-and-fitness.com/mus-zone/images/arms1.gif]

Pushups (the traditional kind anyways) strenghen the brachialis (forearm flexors in this pic). But also work triceps, chest and back muscles.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-01, 3:43 PM #5
Pushups strengthen your biceps, triceps, pectorals, and your deltoids I believe. Big pecs are usually the result of benchpressing, and pushups.
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2004-07-01, 3:43 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Is their some kind of Nipple Thrust or something?</font>

No, but goddamn there should be.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-01, 3:46 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
No, but goddamn there should be.

</font>

Ahahahahahahahahahahaaha

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-01, 5:45 PM #8
<3

------------------
[insert various humourous anecdotes here]
2004-07-01, 5:54 PM #9
*gets to work inventing the Nipple Thrust*

The reason I asked about the pushups and such is because some days when I get home from work I just don't have the motivation to work out considering I busted my *** at the job hauling heavy crap around(though every other day I run a mile instead of workout which is always fun). So instead I do 100 pushups and 50 sit ups. I was just curious if I was hurting myself by doing that and not the work out (which is centered around my biceps, triceps, and shoulders anyway)

wait...so pushups give you man-boobs? **** it! Which leads to a different question: is the only mechanical difference between push ups and bench press is on the bench press you can add weight? It seems like you are making the same movements with both.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited July 01, 2004).]
2004-07-01, 6:59 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
wait...so pushups give you man-boobs? </font>

They give you the muscular kind. Pringles and twinkies give you the other.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-01, 7:06 PM #11
[http://www.kindofcrap.com/bob1.jpg]

We all wish we could be like Bob.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-01, 7:09 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
[http://www.kindofcrap.com/bob1.jpg]

We all wish we could be like Bob.

</font>

ick.

Kieran: 100 pushups and 50 situps in a single workout? Damn, you must be a machine. The most I've ever done is 75 pushups, and it was awhile before I could get up again.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-01, 7:53 PM #13
Yeah it's pretty much the same as a bench press. There are quite a few different weight machines at your typical gym that can help you target your chest if that's what you're after. I found that once you get to a certain size with pushups, doing more doesn't really increase the size anymore, it just helps you get more stamina. I did 100-120 pushups a night for about 9 months and had no noticeable improvement in my body. Going to the gym and using the specialized machines really helped (and more quickly, I could notice a difference in about a month). Too bad I kept getting athlete's foot from sweating in my shoes, so I quit.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-07-01, 8:43 PM #14
I overheard someone say something that the way your hands are rotated on the ground, facing away from you, out to the sides or pointing inward slightly affects what muscles get worked while doing pushups.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-07-01, 8:55 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
I overheard someone say something that the way your hands are rotated on the ground, facing away from you, out to the sides or pointing inward slightly affects what muscles get worked while doing pushups.

</font>

one pushup method that I've really found to be effective on pecs/chest is to do pushups while cupping your hands over two rubber balls. (remember those basketball-sized red-colored bouncy balls that you played with as a kid? Use two of those.)

For some reason, you feel it A LOT in your chest when you do pushups this way.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited July 01, 2004).]
2004-07-01, 9:32 PM #16
Probably because your chest muscles have to laterally control your body so you don't tip over. Sounds like a great idea.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-07-01, 9:41 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
*gets to work inventing the Nipple Thrust*

The reason I asked about the pushups and such is because some days when I get home from work I just don't have the motivation to work out considering I busted my *** at the job hauling heavy crap around(though every other day I run a mile instead of workout which is always fun). So instead I do 100 pushups and 50 sit ups. I was just curious if I was hurting myself by doing that and not the work out (which is centered around my biceps, triceps, and shoulders anyway)

</font>

I don't get it...everyone seems to think to work out you need to be in a gym with weight machines etc. Like you said haulin *** at work liftin heavy **** is a work out too! So you dont need to be worrying about workin out after that...its stupid.

------------------
"If there's one thing I've learned it's this - you just can't shake hands with a fist" - David Allen Coe
2004-07-02, 10:05 AM #18
Max reps, low weight = tone muscles
Fewer reps, more weight = adding muscle mass

Doing all those push ups won't get your pecs enormous or anything. Like Brian said, you'll hit a point and you'll just get toned muscle.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-02, 10:48 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Max reps, low weight = tone muscles
Fewer reps, more weight = adding muscle mass

Doing all those push ups won't get your pecs enormous or anything. Like Brian said, you'll hit a point and you'll just get toned muscle.

</font>

EXACTLY!

This is what I wanted to point out in that other weight-lifting thread we had about a month ago.

------------------
2004-07-02, 11:44 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Kieran: 100 pushups and 50 situps in a single workout? Damn, you must be a machine. The most I've ever done is 75 pushups, and it was awhile before I could get up again.
</font>
Not really. I'm pretty out of shape and my arms are pretty skinny for someone who works out.

Pros: pushups don't give you man-boobs(unless you do them a special way)
Cons: they become ineffective at some point

I don't really care what I look like (cept for the man-boob thing). I just need the strength. And mass does not always mean strength. Just look at Bruce Lee.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This is what I wanted to point out in that other weight-lifting thread we had about a month ago.
</font>
That was probably my thread too. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2004-07-02, 12:11 PM #21
Ok, quick query:

I don't have a gym nearby, and the only weight-training stuff I have (or can afford) is a couple of 8kg dumbells. What exercises can I do do increase muscle in my arms, chest and abs using what I have available to me? All of the exercises I know of are for toning (pushups, situps etc).
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-02, 1:53 PM #22
Push-Ups and the bench press will both work some of the same large muscle groups but there are some serious differences. One would be that the bench press with free weights works quite a few "stabilizer" muscles. Another is that the push up will work your back and abdominals as a key component is keeping your body in a generally straight line as you go up and down (don't confuse that to mean you get an abdominal work out, just that those muscles are more involved).

Depending on your hand placement you will work chest, tricep, shoulder, and back muscles to varying degrees. It not only builds upperbody strength but endurance as well. Slower reps will concentrate more on strength and faster on endurance.

As far as Army standards go you want to make sure that regardless of where you position your hands, you lower yourself so that your upper arms become at least parallel with the ground/floor.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-02, 2:00 PM #23
i've been doing weights on and off for the past 6 years or so and i'm doing pretty well I think on the size of my arms, (maeve would be able to give an opinion other than mine), but mixed in with the weights I've also done a fair old amount of sport too, from swimming to rowing to various types of Kung Fu.

I mostly do bicep curls (only one I know the proper name for), I also bring my arms from my side to horizontal to my shoulders (holding arms straight out, ie like the rings in gym) and I also do punches holding the weights in each hand, 5kg in each hand and I aim for over 100 punches on each arm. The punches are pretty good for all parts of the arm I find, especially the forearm and shoulders. I also do some knife work but not everyone has access to those, but again that works the arms.

I would recommend having differing weights for the different exercises because certain muscles are always going to be stronger than others and I mostly go for reps over weight but thats a personal choice, I also do stints of heavy weights to build muscle mass every so often but mostly go for reps.

Reps wise you always want to be able I think to be able to do over 15 of anything you do, when I'm on the light weights, 7 1/2kg per arm I aim for 20-30 reps, when doing higher weights I bring that down to what ever I can push myself to over 15.

Mixed in with press-ups and sit-ups and the sport I do it keeps me in pretty good shape.

I'm only 5ft 9 and weight roughly 65kg, so i'm sure there are those of you out there who can do far more than I, at least I'd hope so.

------------------
I heard someone say once that the world is a fine place and that it was worth fighting for....I agree with the last part.

People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots website
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2004-07-02, 2:12 PM #24
Det: push ups and sit ups can do more than toning. Do as many as you can(of either) in a minute(as opposed to having a set goal) several times. That way you are always pushing your muscles to their limit. If that doesn't build up your strength, nothing will.

Random note: I think sit-ups are harder than push-ups. But that's just me.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited July 02, 2004).]
2004-07-02, 11:17 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
Ok, quick query:

I don't have a gym nearby, and the only weight-training stuff I have (or can afford) is a couple of 8kg dumbells. What exercises can I do do increase muscle in my arms, chest and abs using what I have available to me? All of the exercises I know of are for toning (pushups, situps etc).
</font>

Pull ups and chin ups will get your arms bigger

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-03, 11:07 AM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Pull ups and chin ups will get your arms bigger

</font>

They'll also help your trapezius muscle. (One of your back muscles)

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-07-03, 11:19 AM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SG1_129:
They'll also help your trapezius muscle. (One of your back muscles)

</font>

The ones that surround and coate your shoulder blades.

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-07-03, 3:06 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
Ok, quick query:

</font>

at the worst, use bags of dirt as weights. Add water to make them heavier, although you will need a scale to keep them equal.

To make a curling bar, get an old broom handle and some bags of dirt, and you will be all set.

to make a bench bar, get a longer section of handle (or ideally, one of those steel poles they tie chainlink fence to) and use more bags on that.

You end up with one ghetto, yet effective, weight-lifting set. It's nowhere near as good as joining a gym and using real weights, but its better than nothing.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!