Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → *sniffle* boom.
*sniffle* boom.
2004-07-03, 5:58 AM #1
My power supply on my computer blew recently, and I just got a new one only to find that it took my motherboard with it... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] Also damaged was my 60GB hard drive (not to big a deal because I can RMA it, but I still lost all of my data [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] ) and we're still not sure about my GeForce 4 (we're testing it today).

Anyway, it's not to bad because I was planning on an upgrade anyway, so now I'm thinking of upgrading to this: (along with an Athlon XP 3000)

So, is that a good board? If you guys know of a better one for around $100 feel free to post links. What I need is a board with at least 400mhz front side bus, DDR ram (PC4000)support, built in 3d sound, and built in LAN.

[link error]
------------------
Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin.

[This message has been edited by Sarn_Cadrill (edited July 03, 2004).]
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-07-03, 6:43 AM #2
Ouch, have you figured out why the power supply blew?

Anyways, I have the Asus A7N8X-8, it supports everything you mentioned, and I got it for 110$ CAD way back in October, so it should be within your budget.
2004-07-03, 6:43 AM #3
That happened to me early in the year. Unfortunatly I didn't know what the problem was, so first I tried a new motherboard. That didn't work. Eventually I replaced the power supply and it worked again, and I didn't lose any data either.

I ended up sending the mobo back, but I kept the free newegg tshirt that came with it [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
What once was...
2004-07-03, 7:08 AM #4
The AN7 is a nice board, if you want to save a couple bucks, you could go for an NF7-S, also made by Abit, or for around 87 bucks, you can get the board I have and love, an Epox 8RDA3+.

edit : I suppose some links would be nice
Epox
NF7-S
------------------
"Honey, you got real ugly."

[This message has been edited by RotM_igotissues (edited July 03, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by RotM_igotissues (edited July 03, 2004).]
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2004-07-03, 7:42 AM #5
Hmm, DDR 400 is still only PC3200, right?

I'm hoping to get something that's PC4000 (which would be DDR 500) (correct me if I'm wrong on this). Is there an Athlon XP mobo that supports DDR 500?

------------------
Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin
http://www.writings-emag.net The next big thing since individually wrapped cheese slices (coming soon).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-07-03, 12:37 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Hmm, DDR 400 is still only PC3200, right?

I'm hoping to get something that's PC4000 (which would be DDR 500) (correct me if I'm wrong on this). Is there an Athlon XP mobo that supports DDR 500?

</font>

DDR400=PC3200. I believe DDR533 would be PC4000.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-03, 7:50 PM #7
No, I'm pretty sure DDR 500 MHz is PC4000, and no, no current motherboard, either AMD or Intel will make use of PC4000 unless you're overclocking, and even then, because of bandwidth limitations, the AMD won't benefit from it.

------------------
The Matrix is not Linux compatible.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2004-07-03, 8:26 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JudgeDredd:
No, I'm pretty sure DDR 500 MHz is PC4000, and no, no current motherboard, either AMD or Intel will make use of PC4000 unless you're overclocking, and even then, because of bandwidth limitations, the AMD won't benefit from it.

</font>

On the first count, right. On the second count, wrong. PC4000 has already proven to give performance boosts. It's just not been hailed very much.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!