Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thread of gothic Gothic 3 goodness
Thread of gothic Gothic 3 goodness
2006-10-14, 11:33 AM #1
Well, it does come out today.

And in a few hours, I will begin my 2 mile hike to obtain a copy for myself.

I must say, I am HELLA excited about this game. Mostly because of everything I've seen about the combat system makes it look like a god damned BLAST TO PLAY.

Combat+Expansiveness+open ended gameplay = AWESOME.

I know there are a few other like minded people here, so during the course of the day as we buy and play the game, perhaps we could post mini-reviews, screenshots, and game stuffs in this thread.

I haven't been this giddy over a game in YEARS. Watch it be a let down.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-10-14, 11:42 AM #2
OK, actually it came out on Thursday and I've been playing it since then and had no time for massassi.
But I promised to make this thread, so here it is. I think the game will be released in America in november, so I guess this thread is pretty pointless.
I'll try to get up some screenshots and perhaps write a small review, but I'm not sure if I can find the time for that. :D
2006-10-14, 11:42 AM #3
Yay. :argh:
2006-10-14, 11:44 AM #4
I've heard it's a good Oblivion. True?
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-10-14, 11:48 AM #5
Well, from what I know of Oblivion, it's only similar on the first look.
Gothic is more story driven, whereas Oblivion is more like a single player MMORPG, from what I've heard. But I haven't played Oblivion so far, so I can't tell.
2006-10-14, 12:19 PM #6
OK, I found the imagecorner again and uploaded some screenshots.

http://www.sorrowind.net/imagecorner/326/1.png
The second town you visit in the game. Most towns, like this, are held by the Orcs. You can then decide to either help the Rebels liberate the town or, like I did here in Kap-Dun, help the Orcs get rid of the Rebels.

http://www.sorrowind.net/imagecorner/326/2.png
Just a way trough the forest.

http://www.sorrowind.net/imagecorner/326/3.png
I'm grilling some meat on the fire. A nice Orc warrior keeps me company. The fire on my back is my flaming sword. But don't worry, it's not burning me, it's magical!

http://www.sorrowind.net/imagecorner/326/4.png
A mysterious cave I discovered. I left it very quickly after I found out that it's infested with legions of skeletal warriors, minecrawlers and a gargoyl.

http://www.sorrowind.net/imagecorner/326/5.png
Just some scenery.
2006-10-14, 1:47 PM #7
I assume your copy of the game is in German? Does it have other languages too?
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-10-14, 2:01 PM #8
That doesn't look like oblivion AT ALL.

No sir. None of that scenery is similar :-P
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-10-14, 2:08 PM #9
Is it safe to assume there's no demo of this?
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2006-10-14, 2:27 PM #10
Interesting. It's like Oblivion, but the graphics aren't as good and the gameplay's better?

-Hot.
2006-10-14, 2:59 PM #11
I remember last time I played the Gothic series, my German was good enough to comprehend the dialogue and what was happening. Not any more.
:master::master::master:
2006-10-14, 3:02 PM #12
Yes, the game is in German, but as far as I know the English version has already been released in Europe.
2006-10-15, 9:36 AM #13
Both Oblivion and this use the same forest/vegetation generation plug-ins. That's why they both look a bit similar.

Yes I saw it on the shelf, and having loved and almost finished Gothic 2 back in the day, I will be buying it eventually once my schedule opens up a bit.

Some gameplay videos over at Eurogamer in the meanwhile:

With running commentary
Commentary on combat system
Teaser trailer
E3 trailer
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2006-10-16, 5:35 AM #14
Do you get any choices for your character's facial features and hair, or do they just stick you in this existing character's shoes like in Fable and you just build his stats from there?

I read in previews that the combat sucked in Gothic 3, I'd love to hear that that is wrong.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-10-17, 1:46 PM #15
I want answers! .(
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-10-17, 1:58 PM #16
Originally posted by Jepman:
Do you get any choices for your character's facial features and hair, or do they just stick you in this existing character's shoes like in Fable and you just build his stats from there?

I read in previews that the combat sucked in Gothic 3, I'd love to hear that that is wrong.

I've just read in this review over at GameFAQs that your character's appearance is set in stone, and that the combat sucks. Apparently it's bugged to hell, too =/
2006-10-26, 3:17 PM #17
Apparently you can't kill any of the humanoid entities in this game - you can't even be killed. Once your health bar decreases to zero you just fall unconscience and wake up is a few seconds. :v:

I'll stick with Oblivion + OOO v1.31 and my 40 other mods. :)
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-10-26, 3:54 PM #18
Hmm, one of the rare times I'll post instead of being a lurker.

I spent a good amount of time playing Gothic3, and I'll give a quick rundown of some of the things I noticed...

The bad,

Main problem of the game, is that its buggy. It has a huge memory leak, even if you have a higher end system in about 2 hours the game will become unplayable/freeze even on lowest settings..

You can't change the way your char looks at all, apart from what armor and weapon you have equipped ..

Combat has a whole is ok, there are a few issues that need to be worked out.. like the fact the a wild boars/wolfs/ some other wild animals is 30X tougher to beat then 'elite' orcs or pretty much any other humanoid type enemy. Pretty much if one hits you, your going to die, or lose a huge chunk of health..mainly because they repeat their one attack animation so fast it makes it so it very hard to counter attack, if at all..

The quest system has a few problems to, like instead of giving the important info when you look to review quest to check what you should be doing/where to go, it gives the last thing said about the quest, for exsample you git a quest to kill bandits some where and the guy says "the bandits are to the northwest of here, those bandits are going to drive me out of business". when you look up the quest kill the bandits it will say "those bandits are going to drive me out of business" instead of the info that you would need to complete the quest.

The good.

World seems huge with lots to explore. All though Oblivion was larger, Gother3 seems bigger, maybe because there no mounts, or telporting to anywhere on the map(you do git to teleport into towns where you have found the town's portal stone.)

You seem far more involved with the world when compare to Oblivion, and the choices you make effect the world alot more in general you seem more apart of the world.. Its Hard to describe but it makes the game really fun..

there are some NPCs that seem to have more personalty then they do in Oblivion, nothing major has a whole, but a nice plus.
__
Right now now I would rate it a 6/10, if they fix the bugs, and balance some of the enemy's I could see it gitting a 9/10

maybe I'll write more later if any one cares..

↑ Up to the top!