Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I need a new watch...
I need a new watch...
2004-07-03, 7:17 PM #1
Bah.

I've had a Timex Expedition (this exact one actually http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=048148446533#) for the last 4 years. Recently I've had far too much trouble with it. About 4 months ago, the battery died. We took it to a really good jewler in one of the local malls and he replaced the battery, cleaned the inside of the watch, and polished the crystal, and then only charged me for the battery. Very nice.

Two months later, the watch starts acting up. I suspect failing battery. The second hand will stick, or run BACKWARDS a second then forwards again, or would just delay. This threw the Analog time off. We took it back, and right as we pulled into the mall parking lot, it stopped being stupid. He saw it anyway and couldn't see a thing wrong with it, and the battery was fine. He did however, suspect there might be a problem with the watch's movement, but he can't tell becuase good ole Timex has that part of the watch sealed off and you can't buy tools to get into it. If there's a problem with that, you have to send it in and wait a month or so before you get it back. Seeing as it was fine then, I just left.

Now it's doing it again, after being fine for the last two months. I have had it. I've reset it twice today. Right now it's running 10 minutes behind. It isn't covered under warrenty, and I'm not waiting a month to get a watch back.

So, anyone around here know of a good watch similar to what I have now for about 60 bucks that ISN'T Timex?

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!

[This message has been edited by phoenix_9286 (edited July 03, 2004).]
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-03, 8:10 PM #2
I've always been a fan of Swatch or Lambretta. Swatches go from $20 to $200 and Lambrettas start around $150....

Most reliable watch I had was a Soviet military watch my father got for me in Moscow in 1992. You do have to wind it though and so if you forget about it for a couple days you'll need to reset the time.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now

[This message has been edited by Schming (edited July 03, 2004).]
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-07-03, 8:45 PM #3
My last timex lasted me 13 years on the same battery. I've had my current one for 4 years now with no sign of trouble.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-04, 4:50 AM #4
Get a Tag Heuer, you know you want to [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-04, 5:49 AM #5
You know Flex, my dad has had a Timex about that long as well. I think the battery has only been replaced twice. His is all digital though, whereas mine is a combo. I think that might be part of the reason I'm having problems with it. Dunno. I love my watch, it's just being so crappy right now.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-07-04, 5:52 AM #6
Swatch all the way baby.

I own 10 watches, and all the best timekeepers are Swatch, and they are also my sexiest.

It's all about the Swiss timekeeping baby! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-07-04, 6:25 AM #7
I personally like Wenger watches myself, brand new off the website they run from about $100 I believe to roughly $600. However, if you go to www.campmor.com and check their clearance, they are almost sure to have some discontinued models for ~$50. Also check Ebay, I just got a discontinued model at Christmas for $90, and it used to be around $250.
2004-07-04, 7:18 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
Get a Tag Heuer, you know you want to [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

</font>

I got one of those, cost me $25 on the street in New York. It's hilarious how obvious it is that it is a rip-off though: the small hands (for days, weeks, etc.) don't move, the indiglo doesn't light up, you can't take links out of the band to adjust the size...

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-07-04, 9:56 AM #9
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/5a7b/

------------------
[16:38] Correction: dick tracy was a real man
[16:38] happydud: Actually... He wasn't. :D
[19:08] Dormouse: hi, my name's happydud and i'm passive-aggress.. SHUTUP!! *stabs nearby orphan*
[You have gained 3 Dark Side Points]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-07-04, 10:07 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kyle90:
I got one of those, cost me $25 on the street in New York. It's hilarious how obvious it is that it is a rip-off though: the small hands (for days, weeks, etc.) don't move, the indiglo doesn't light up, you can't take links out of the band to adjust the size...

</font>

Haha, I had one of those too, it was really uncomfortable though.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-07-04, 10:15 AM #11
i want one
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/6a17/

------------------
<S51> Give a man a sandwich and you'll feed him for an hour, teach him to make a sandwich and he'll get pissed, hit you and tell you to make him another sandwich.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-07-04, 11:25 AM #12
Get a Timex Ironman, I had one for 5 years, then I just upgraded to a new Timex Ironman.

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-07-04, 4:43 PM #13
Ok. A few things now that I've had a chance to look at some of the links and names I've been provided.

I think I'm straying away from Timex this time. As nice as their watches are, if what the jewler told me about them sealing the movements so they can't work on them is true, I don't want one. It's a far larger hassle for me to send it to Timex and have them replace it than to go to the Jewler and dish out a few bucks to have something adjusted or fixed.

I don't want a purely digital watch. I love my current one becuase I have both Analog and Digital watches on it. It's come in handy and it's nice to have, but like I said earlier, that alone might be part of the reason behind the problems I'm having. Who knows?

Tag Heuer has a few watches I like, but I'm not seeing a price anywhere. I kinda live with the expression, "If you have to ask how much it costs, you don't want to know." However, in this case, I do. Just where does one find prices for those things? Right now I'm getting the distinct impression they are WAY far out of my price range.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly. I guess something similar to what I have now. Be it in terms of design, or just the functions that I have. And something that doesn't exceed 100 bucks by too much.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-07-04, 4:52 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Tag Heuer has a few watches I like, but I'm not seeing a price anywhere. I kinda live with the expression, "If you have to ask how much it costs, you don't want to know." However, in this case, I do. Just where does one find prices for those things? Right now I'm getting the distinct impression they are WAY far out of my price range.</font>

They are. They start at around $800 and go right up to over $10,000. Nice watches, though [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-04, 4:56 PM #15
That's what I thought.

Guess it's time to move away from that site than. I think it's insane to spend that much for a watch.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-07-04, 7:56 PM #16
Pheonix - I have the exact same watch, and the hands often just stop for nothing. I keep thinking the pin is loose or something, that I might have hooked it on something, but it's never pulled out. But my analog time does stay ok.

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-07-04, 8:40 PM #17
I kind of like the idea of the remote control watch here:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

Yay! I can finally join the snail-racing crew.

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-07-05, 12:51 AM #18
I bought a Casio "Illuminator" 4 years ago for $15 and it's still running perfectly on the same battery. Water resistant to 50 meters, an alarm, made in China... it's got it all, baby. The top is a bit scratched from the time I took it off and threw it down an alley while angry at time, but it's still working fine.
2004-07-05, 4:40 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Masq:
The top is a bit scratched from the time I took it off and threw it down an alley while angry at time</font>

Yes, that should teach time a valuable lesson...

Heh, sorry, that made me laugh [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-05, 4:47 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaD CoW:
Pheonix - I have the exact same watch, and the hands often just stop for nothing. I keep thinking the pin is loose or something, that I might have hooked it on something, but it's never pulled out. But my analog time does stay ok.

</font>

Good to know it might not just be my watch. Right now, it seems to be keeping time just fine again. Really, it's quite irritating. Nevertheless, I'm still out to buy something else. Probably completely Analog. Timex has a few nice ones, but I'm still not sure I want to go that route...

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand

↑ Up to the top!