Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Microsoft and American economy
Microsoft and American economy
2004-07-05, 11:18 AM #41
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
...They have to understand that a computer doesn't have a self-destruct button they can accidentally push that will destroy the system...</font>

Some do. Its called the "Start" button... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-05, 1:01 PM #42
A little off-topic, but I have found Windows 98 to be (overall) much more usable and tolerable than Windows XP, but even the former is very restrictive and frustrating. I also absolutely despise Windows Media Players 7+ compared to Windows Media Player 6.4 (which I love).
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-07-05, 1:11 PM #43
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Some do. Its called the "Start" button... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

At my old high school, they'd just received a set of brand new P4s. But the techs did such a horrible job at building them that whenever you pushed the start button on one of the PCs, it would stop working. Then, the computer would be labeled as 'defective' from anywhere to a month or two while the techs took their sweet time "fixing" it. So I managed to make an illegal deal will the director; he'd let me fix the computers as long as I did it while none of the techs were in the room, so they wouldn't know. (someone else opening the puters goes against their contract or something) So I opened one up to fix it... you'll never guess what the problem was...

The whole thing wasn't screwed. That's right. They didn't even bother to screw the parts to the casing. How did it hold? DUCT TAPE.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-05, 1:30 PM #44
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
At my old high school, they'd just received a set of brand new P4s. But the techs did such a horrible job at building them that whenever you pushed the start button on one of the PCs, it would stop working. Then, the computer would be labeled as 'defective' from anywhere to a month or two while the techs took their sweet time "fixing" it. So I managed to make an illegal deal will the director; he'd let me fix the computers as long as I did it while none of the techs were in the room, so they wouldn't know. (someone else opening the puters goes against their contract or something) So I opened one up to fix it... you'll never guess what the problem was...

The whole thing wasn't screwed. That's right. They didn't even bother to screw the parts to the casing. How did it hold? DUCT TAPE.

</font>

so all the parts inside were just taped in there? I'd understand if it was a hard drive, b/c i have one that won't go into the bay, so I have it resting on the bottom of my case, but having the mobo, power supply, and what not taped into place is just half-a**ed and inexcusable. Those techs should be fired.

Also, why would the school sign a contract that forbids them to look inside their own machines? The techs either have one hell of a good scam going, or they are incredibly incompetent.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-05, 1:32 PM #45
oh, it certainly wasn't because the parts didn't fit, seeing as I just picked up a screwdriver and screwed them in.

------------------
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-05, 1:37 PM #46
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
oh, it certainly wasn't because the parts didn't fit, seeing as I just picked up a screwdriver and screwed them in.

</font>

how much are those techs getting paid to f*** your school over as hard as they possibly can? I'm curious.

and by start button, do you mean the windows one, or the physical power switch?

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited July 05, 2004).]
2004-07-05, 1:39 PM #47
heh, whatever it is, it's too much! Most of the people working at that school did so because they had contacts, not because they had the skills required. It's sad, really.

------------------
2004-07-05, 1:40 PM #48
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
and by start button, do you mean the windows one, or the physical power switch?

</font>

The power switch. They turned the computers on and then never turned them off because if they did they wouldn't be able to turn them back on again.

------------------
2004-07-05, 4:28 PM #49
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Norton sucks as anti-virus, and background anti-virus programs are very annoying. They block incoming connections for no reason, delete files for no reason other than the fact that they /might/ be tainted, and hog resources. And I'm talking about norton. Besides, the new holes exploited in IE aren't able to be protected by antivirus software.

</font>

Which version of Norton's are YOU using? I have zero problems with mine, and it pulls none of that crap. If a file is infected, I always have several options of fixing it, and Norton's does not delete it automatically. As far as I'm aware, it isn't the job of an Anti-Virus program to block incomming connections. That's the job of a firewall. Is it not?

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-05, 6:56 PM #50
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Which version of Norton's are YOU using? I have zero problems with mine, and it pulls none of that crap. If a file is infected, I always have several options of fixing it, and Norton's does not delete it automatically. As far as I'm aware, it isn't the job of an Anti-Virus program to block incomming connections. That's the job of a firewall. Is it not?
</font>

It came with Norton's firewall, which is a helluva lot worse than its antivirus, which is saying a LOT. Norton and McAffee (though I hear McAffee's gotten its act together) are notorious for being popularized suck. Hell running an AV program 24/7 isn't all that advisable. And I was using the latest version.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-05, 8:08 PM #51
Well, I've used various versions of Norton's SystemWorks and AntiVirus on every computer I've ever owned. Never had any problems with either product.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-06, 4:58 AM #52
Heh, I had a similar deal at my school.

We did have a problem once where the start-up button actually physically broke, a little plastic bit broke off from the spring.
We fixed that with cellotape, but we spent the next few days making sure we didn't smell melting cellotape. The start button wasn't near anything that would get hot, though.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935

↑ Up to the top!