Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Domain Purchasing Inquiry Etiquette
Domain Purchasing Inquiry Etiquette
2006-10-25, 2:29 PM #1
DPIE!

I'm want to purchase the domain name http://www.afs.com (May contain links to adult sites) but I'm not exactly sure the etiquette associated. I've got their fax number and the head of their 'company's name, but I'm not so sure what I should send them.

Personally, I don't really want to spend anything more than 25 dollars, but 100 wouldn't be a bad thing if I could OWN the domain, rather than lease it from them.

Should I send an offer? Some sort of proof of who I am? Should I show them how serious I am about the domain? I'm not at all sure about any of this, all I know is that

http://www.AlwaysFallingShort.com is kind of a long url.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-10-25, 2:36 PM #2
You're not going to buy a 3 letter .com for less than at least $500 (probably closer to $5000 before they'll even consider an offer)
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-10-25, 2:37 PM #3
Looks like a cyber squatter... Good luck trying to but the domain from them.

Personally, I’ve never tried to buy a domain off a cyber squatter, but from what I’ve heard most cyber squatters won’t even humor offers less that $1000.

Also, just a note, you can’t just buy a domain outright, you can only register it for a fixed period of time.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2006-10-25, 2:50 PM #4
What does it matter if the URL is long?
2006-10-25, 2:53 PM #5
See if you can't get a domain that just adds to asf. Something like asf-online.com for instance.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-10-25, 2:58 PM #6
Originally posted by tofu:
What does it matter if the URL is long?

Laziness. People are lazy.

Would you rather type out unitedparcelservice.com or ups.com?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-10-25, 3:26 PM #7
The length of the website doesn't matter. If the content is good enough people will go to it.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-10-25, 4:21 PM #8
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Laziness. People are lazy.

Would you rather type out unitedparcelservice.com or ups.com?

I was going to say no one will go to it anyway because your comic blows but you ruined it. >:(
2006-10-25, 6:00 PM #9
Well, how would I send them an offer? Should I lie and say it's a non profit org?

And by "own" I want to buy it from them, then transfer the account for the domain to my own godaddy, or whatever service they use. I don't want to pay 100 dollars every year.

And afs-comic.com is my second option, but I don't know. Seems silly.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-10-25, 6:08 PM #10
Might sound stupid, but have you tried other top level domains? .net, .org, .info, whatever your country's TLD is, all those are options.
2006-10-25, 7:04 PM #11
[url]www.afscomic.com/net/org[/url] sounds better.

-Same thing happened on this other website I visit. It was supposed to be legacyforum, but that turned out to be religous nuts or something, so they reversed it, forumlegacy. Domains are hard. :(
2006-10-25, 7:13 PM #12
[url]www.afs.gov[/url]

I know it's a government funded comic that's secretly a mind control device to control us with your midget-ness.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-10-25, 8:01 PM #13
wait, dash or no dash?

afs-comic.com
afscomic.com

I can get both, but don't want to. Which one?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-10-25, 8:05 PM #14
I hate dashes. Go with no dash.

Typing in ctrlaltdel-online.com makes me mad every time I do it.
2006-10-25, 8:09 PM #15
LOL NOW IN POLL FORM

http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=44384
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.

↑ Up to the top!